Cans of compressed air for removing dust?
I've found that while it will get rid of some dust, it won't get it all, particularly when it comes to dust that builds up between the fans of the various EMD diesel road-switchers. You'd pretty much need to brush it out anyway.

While i don't think its enough to hurt the details of your models, i don't think it is quite up to par, so stick with the brush, lol.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
While I agree that a soft brush is best, I find canned air to be quite handy. If you don't get too close, and as was mentioned earlier, don't squeeze the trigger too hard, you shouldn't have any real problems with blowing details off. Just don't turn the can upside down while spraying, and don't even "rock" the can, or you can get serious frostbite!!! (don't ask me how I know this!!)
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
I found a vacuum cleaner attachment set at a well known tire store in Canada. It has a reducing pipe and some small diameter fittings including brushes and crevice tools.
When I use it near the layout I put a piece of screen over the big vacuum pipe to catch any bits that get swept up accidentally.
I have a battery operated blower that I haven't used much. My preferred dusting tool is a shaving brush that is redundant since I gave up shaving.
I also use some of those fine brushes with the plastic stems and the .5mm cotton heads. If I have a tight area I use them with a bit of water (!) to dislodge the dust. If I know the paint will handle it I may use alcohol or track cleaner (on wheels and pickups).
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I have found that a commercially available product, the swiffer duster, works well. It is soft, so you will need to use caution around detail parts, but it grabs the dust and hols it in.
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.