Grand Canyon Railway - steam is back!
Perhaps another factor in bringing back steam as a draw is the shifting popularity of the 'Old West' or somesuch theme. As much as I rail against Country & Western banjo music (with a harmonica and some bearded coot singing about 'ole number 7' if yer lucky), it epitomizes the tragic stereotype all steam railroads fall into at some time or another, that of a backwards, at-best-historic mode of transportation used by gunslingers & miners. WHY? Wallbang WHY? Wallbang WHY? Wallbang

There's so much more to steam than that limited slice of gold-rimmed americana. And as much as promoters try to change the image of steam by tapping into what it was really like, somehow adding a diamond stack and a cowboy hold-up has stuck in our nat'l collective brain as what steam is. Curse

All that to say, there are legit organizations like the Grand Canyon who could honestly and rightfully tap into that sort of history. But they could also go 'retro' and work the transition era angle as well, and do it with shiny diesel streamliners, serving martinis in the lounge car - without a single horseback hold-up.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
The linked advertisement specifically states "on select dates", so this is not regular steam service.

Nice to see them running at all, though. Thumbsup
ocalicreek Wrote:Perhaps another factor in bringing back steam as a draw is the shifting popularity of the 'Old West' or somesuch theme. As much as I rail against Country & Western banjo music (with a harmonica and some bearded coot singing about 'ole number 7' if yer lucky), it epitomizes the tragic stereotype all steam railroads fall into at some time or another, that of a backwards, at-best-historic mode of transportation used by gunslingers & miners. WHY? Wallbang WHY? Wallbang WHY? Wallbang

There's so much more to steam than that limited slice of gold-rimmed americana. And as much as promoters try to change the image of steam by tapping into what it was really like, somehow adding a diamond stack and a cowboy hold-up has stuck in our nat'l collective brain as what steam is. Curse

All that to say, there are legit organizations like the Grand Canyon who could honestly and rightfully tap into that sort of history. But they could also go 'retro' and work the transition era angle as well, and do it with shiny diesel streamliners, serving martinis in the lounge car - without a single horseback hold-up.

Galen

"Pappy" dies every morning at the gunfight, but was revived somehow before the evening gunfight Smile

And as much as I like steam - I almost think the retro streamliners theme works better on their line. The town of Williams plays up the postwar route 66 thing, with 50s-early 60s automobiles, motor hotels, diners . The railroad runs all stainless passenger cars now - sealed and air conditioned so you can't hear or smell the steam engine anyway. The ex-southern pacific heavyweight commuter coaches they have ride a little more bouncy, are less comfortable, and have no air conditioning for those 90 degree summer days - so they only use them for thomas or other special trains. And it's not steam, but when they run an A-B-A of silver painted alco FP-4s, it is pretty darned cool. Unfortunately, they use mostly F-40s now.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Route 66, the Rat Pack, and so many more classic images of the Baby Boom/American post-war high period could be a big hit in this social/cultural malaise we're slogging through now. My wife and I were at a Rat Pack themed Italian restaurant last week with a really great 'lounge singer' singing the great hits of that period. I'd rather be riding in a plush velvet seat in a diner/tavern/lounge listening to him croon than some cowboy with a gheetar.

But I bet they could certainly offer both styles on alternating schedules. I grew up going to Tweetsie Railroad in Boone, NC. My grandfather, who worked there, has a picture of Fred Kirby, the singing cowboy, holding a shy little 3-year old boy (yours truly). I love the cowboy atmosphere there even though it's located in the middle of the Blue Ridge (understandably, destitute appalachian hillbillies of the depression just doesn't work as well as cowboys and indians, er, native americans). But even Tweetsie has fallen on harder times and has brought in Thomas, a Halloween night (complete with 'ghost train' ride) and many more crowd draws.

At least at Tweetsie they are stuck with steam, and they have the shop to do it right. They've serviced several crown locos from Busch Gardens at their shops, and it is a "theme" park. GCRy seems to be a great ride with a fabulous location, and steam, stored servicable, can always be rebuilt and revived. I hope they will be able to run more steam in the future but for now it may be the better choice to do what they can to survive until then.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!