Backdrop Painting
I am in that stage of my layout where I need to imitate some trees on my backdrop.I have painted the backdrop light blue for sky and a dark grey to imitate the distant hills. I wolud like ot give the illusion of trees and foilage in the distance. Anyone with any painting tips for this would be greatly appreciated. I am not a telented painter when it comes to this sort of thing...so....help! Thanks in advance....Dave
upstatedave Wrote:I am in that stage of my layout where I need to imitate some trees on my backdrop.I have painted the backdrop light blue for sky and a dark grey to imitate the distant hills. I wolud like ot give the illusion of trees and foilage in the distance. Anyone with any painting tips for this would be greatly appreciated. I am not a telented painter when it comes to this sort of thing...so....help! Thanks in advance....Dave

I think I may be able to offer some advice:
1) Practice. Practice, and more practice. If you have little painting experience, it is doubtful you will be satisfied with your first, or even second attempt. I would suggest getting pieces of masonite (or whatever you plan to use for your backdrop), a variety of paint colors and brushes, and going out to your yard or patio and just practice painting what you see. I would suggest priming the masonite (or whatever you will be using) white, and using acrylic paints.
2) take a walk around the neighborhood and observe the way things are, and how the way things truly are is different from the way your brain thinks they should be. Perhaps take a pencil and sketch book and sketch a few scenes. Note the muted colors of things in the difference, the color of sky, the way shadows work, perspectives, et cetera. You will notice that tree leaves aren't always green, tree trunks not always brown, and mountains not as steep as you think they are. Or brains have a preconceived notion as to what a tree or mountain should look like, and beginners will often paint what they think they see rather than what they actually do see.
3) I think backdrops are more believable when they only show things in the distance at low-detail. If you want to show details of buildings or trees, I think photo backdrops would work better. You want your backdrop to be exactly that - a backdrop. You want your viewer to not even notice it is there. The more detail you try and put onto your backdrop, the more it will draw attention to the 2-d surface, and the less believable it becomes.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thanks for the great advice. I do want it to look distant and blend,not to stand out on its own. The practice sounds like a good idea as my artistic ability stops at playing hangman..and...your layout is very nice..thanks again....Dave
Hi Dave
I don't have any advice. I too am not that far along, but I wanted to welcome you to the gauge.
Take your time and look around. There are great modelers here and they will answer your questions when they see your post.
Charlie Thumbsup
Thanks Charlie....I have been doing a lot of reading here.and it is a great resorce.with lots of knowledgeble train folks..it's a pleasure..and I am glad I have found it.....Dave
Hi Dave,

Welcome to Big Blue.

One of the best backdrop techniques I have seen is by an Ottawa-area modeller. Chris documents his technique in video and photos on his blog at lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com. You will have to search a bit to find it because the relevant entries are spread out over time, but it is very worthwhile. Let me know if you have any trouble finding the info.

Andrew
Andrew...thanks for the welcome....and for the website...amazing is all I can say about the site..and the railroad...I have found some of the backdrop info....now if I could only make mine look like that....thanks again..Dave