Mini soldering iron
I thought soldering was a pain in HO. Now that I'm in N, it's even tougher and it caused me to not solder very many feeders to my track. I got your standard soldering iron, but I think I need a very small one. I took a quick look around the web, but some companies idea of mini or small probably aren't the same as mine. Does anyone have a particular small soldering iron that they like for things like soldering feeders to rails, and if so, what brand/model do you use? Thanks.
"You did NOT cut a hole in the wall for the train, did you?" - the wife
The Waynesburg Southern
Blue Mountain Aerial Mapping
Hi Joe,

I use a Weller WP35 (35 watt) soldering iron with a pencil tip for all my soldering needs. Even though I work in HO, I find the fine point pencil tip can get me into a lot of tight little spots. Keep the tip cleaned and tinned and I can get 1000's of joints out of one easily.

The down side is that I need to unplug it to turn it on and off. However, I'm building a little power station for it which should take of that. You can get one that comes with a station and holder though, but for 25 bucks, I couldn't pass it up. I've owned a couple of irons in the last few years and this one has to be the best. Heats up fast, and all around good performer.
I am using code 70 and code 55 rail. While I am in HO, those rail sizes are as small or smaller than N scale. I use a weller iron, I think 25 watts. I use a chisel type tip. I lay the tip down across the top of the rail, and touch the solder to the side of the rail to solder the joint.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
its an expensive option, but resistance soldering tools would be the best thing you could buy for these situations. they also have the added benefit of not melting ties.

the only downside is that its expensive, but if you can find a bargain, it would be worth it.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]