Model RR clubs.
Russ - the dues are actually $36 PLUS NMRA dues. Still, that ain't bad. When most modelers can plunk down cash for trains that cost way more than that, it's a small price to pay for belonging. It does make it hard for younger folks with little to no disposable income, but not impossible. It's just about the choices we make on what we purchase.

The OCMR is a good club and I enjoyed my time there. Seems to me the club also contains a contingent of modelers who want to operate and not just watchy trainy go roundy roundy (not necessarily a bad thing).

What I miss most about that was the opportunity to run long trains. I never got to run many since I had many pieces of rolling stock awaiting upgrade to club standards and even more just unassembled. But I got to run my N&W J 4-8-4 and the Powatan Arrow a few times, along with a nice VGN coal train and the occasional mixed freight. Burned out my GE 44 tonner (cracked gear - perennial early Bachman problem) at Fullerton RR Days pulling a kitbashed combine. Was just too dadgum hot outside! Good times.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
I participate in a rather unique scenario. I have a dive buddy who has a large layout. Matter of fact, I had been diving with this guy all over the Caribbean and found out by accident over a beer in Belize that we both enjoyed MRR. He has an 1100 sq. ft. layout which occupies his entire second floor in his house. Instead of a club, he has 6 or 7 guys come over every Thursday night to help him work on his layout. He buys the pizza, beer and any supplies needed for the layout. He gives a lot of latitude to his helpers on designe, etc. No dues, officers, policitics etc. I get to build expensive crafstmen kits on his nickel in HO, while I tinker on my N scale at home. Best of both worlds. Check his layout at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wiringfordcc.com">http://www.wiringfordcc.com</a><!-- m -->.
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
ocalicreek Wrote:What I miss most about that was the opportunity to run long trains. I never got to run many since I had many pieces of rolling stock awaiting upgrade to club standards and even more just unassembled.

Galen,

The modular club that I belong to has a special rule for this situation. Anything you want to run that doesn't meet the standards can be run as a "through freight". No switching is allowed, and the cars are never put into interchange. But it does give members a chance to run their own thing, to test new equipment, or just to run a really long train if that's what is wanted.

Andrew
Galen, at the last few shows we have begun to experiment with car card operating sessions for those that are interested in doing it. There are a bunch of guys in the club who have wanted to do operating sessions, and in fact I think many of them regularly operate on Bill Meyer's layout in his garage. Our operating sessions have been a work in progress. The first time we did it was at the Orange Empire Railway Museum set up during "Thomas Days." One thing we discovered is that there was a lot of "dead time" while dispatchers did their work, or yard masters put trains together. At subsequent op sessions we have dedicated the outside main for run throughs with train length restrictions to allow those doing operations on the inside main to cross over to the outside when needed between trains. That system has worked better since trains are always running on the outside main while the inside main is reserved for those operators taking part in the operating session.

I did mention the requirement to belong to the NMRA as part of our membership requirements, but did not include those dues in the cost since there are different levels of dues depending on whether you have a student membership, regular membership, family membership or opt out of the Scale Rails subscription.
One of the local clubs was set up at a mall as I spoke with them I was invited to bring my stuff the next day and run on their large layout. This was many years ago, maybe decade would be better used here. Well I took them up on the offer. I boxed up 3 GPs and around 70 coal cars. I was told that if it wouldn't run consistently good I would have to take it off of the layout as the public isn't interested in watching a train that won't stay on the track or run. No problem, my stuff runs for hours with no problems. Back to my story, I unpacked my train and put it together in a yard as to not interfere with the others on the main. I got everything ready to go and another guy showed up ,proceed to assemble a freight train on the main that I was going onto but had to wait for him. he got it all on the track and started to move. After he went about 3 feet a car derailed and there I sat waiting in the yard. He got going again this time he went probably 20 feet and it happened again. Now this was a very large modular layout. It was DC and had several trains on same track with no blocks. That means when you have problem everyone on your track stopped. After this happened several times I said let me out of the yard I can run and was told just wait he will get it together. so I waited and waited and packed up my train.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Two things our club has that help eliminate reliability problems. First the club created the position of "Show Czar." The position was given that title because on the day or week end of the show he has absolute power over the layout and all who operate on it. It is not a permanent position but rotates among any who volunteer for the position for any upcoming show. The second rule is if you have a locomotive or car that consistently derails and no problems can be found with the tracks can be found, you remove the offending piece of rolling stock. Basically an individual gets three tries to get something to operate reliably. If it fails for the third time, it is off the layout. The biggest problem we have is getting the module joints "dead on."