Is there a Mike in the house
Hello --- here's Mike 3254 again, this time pulling a consist of 3 bay hoppers.These cars are from Stewart Hobbies,stock #10321.One of these cars has just come out of the car shops at Leetown and is seen in pristine condition---after a few loads of hauling coal.she'll look more like her weathered sister.I believe these types of cars were also used in woodchip service

[Image: P11103633-1.jpg]

[Image: P1110365.jpg]

[Image: P1110364-1.jpg]

Here's some 36 foot 3 bay hoppers used by the CNR and EG&E (Athearn I think ?)---I don't know whether these cars would have been used for woodchip service

[Image: P1110368-1.jpg]
What a treat! I fnd myself watching the cars instead of the Mikes!

The large block lettering hopper looks pretty nice. I was thinking about this model to ultimately replace my fleet of Bachmann quad hopper.

I'm curious, how many mikados do you own! It's like a never ending story! Icon_lol

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
OK, so I'm curious. Athearn doesn't/didn't do any 3-bay open hoppers (apart from post-merger Roundhouse, which these don't seem to be). Are these kitbashed down from quads? And what about those panels on the upper middle part? Doggone Mr Nutbar, even if some of us live close to Disneyland, CN is fascinating -- tell us more!
Thanks Matt---I'm glad you're enjoying this thread.There are 7 CNR Mikes in my collection,all of them were custom painted and decorated by my good friend Doctor Wayne.If you go to the first page of this thread you can see the entire collection.

JWB---to be honest,the origin of these cars is also a mystery to me---like most of the rolling stock in my collection,I purchased them from Doctor Wayne---hopefully the Doc will respond and answer your question
These hoppers looks to be old models. I'm pretty sure Wayne bashed some old stock into beauties again. What is the metal angle in the middle top of the cars?

You're lucky to have him as your rolling stock provider, must of us have to do it ourselfves! Icon_lol

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
I'm not certain of the parentage of those hoppers: I did ones from Athearn (working hopper doors, originally), Tyco, and Lifelike. All started as four-bay hoppers, not a common sight around here, so I removed one of the two centre ones. The joint between the re-joined sections is inboard of one of the double vertical rivet seams - no filler was required. The plate panels on the upper sides are mostly to strengthen the joints, although they may also be hiding some mangled top chord braces. Wink I don't recall, but I think the joints are also reinforced on the inside of the cars. I made those cars because, at the time, the only three-bay hoppers available were from Roundhouse, and I didn't like the shallow hoppers under them.
Except for the un-weathered Accurail hopper, Mister Nutbar's CNR hoppers are lettered with C-D-S dry transfers, while the EG&E reporting marks and numbers are dry transfers from Letraset, with C-D-S dimensional data.
A couple of those three-bays are still in service on my own layout, too, although I've re-done them in the '30s paint scheme:

[Image: Morekitbashingphotos133.jpg]

Wayne
Hello Everyone---ideally suited for hauling all those hoppers,S-2-A Mike 3529 is ready to roll

[Image: P1110557.jpg]
Love those Mikes..!! 2285_ Keep'em coming...!!!
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks Gus---this one is for you

[Image: P11104262-1.jpg]
Thumbsup ... Thumbsup ... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Hello again---here's one of Doctor Wayne's Erie Northshore's Mikes taken during a recent day of railfanning on the EG&E

[Image: P1110591.jpg]
A couple of Canadian National Mikes are spotted on Doctor Wayne's layout

[Image: P1060920-1.jpg]

[Image: P1100429-2.jpg]
Hello Everyone---CNR S-1-G Mike 3513 brings a long freight train into the Leetown yard

[Image: P11106133.jpg]
Hello---another Canadian National locomotive is spotted on Doctor Wayne's layout---this time S-1-A Mikado #3239.

[Image: P1110894.jpg]

[Image: P11108992.jpg]

Back in Leetown,a few Mikes are seen getting ready for their next trip.

[Image: P1110889.jpg]

[Image: P1110873.jpg]

[Image: P1110858.jpg]

[Image: P1110853.jpg]
Hello Everyone---as usual,there's always a number of Mikes present in the Leetown yard

[Image: P1120048.jpg]

[Image: P1120032.jpg]

[Image: P1120030.jpg]

[Image: P1120039.jpg]