Is there a Mike in the house
Nice loco's

(seems the crew doing the red company logo on the tenders must have had a few brews at lunch on some of them- some are straight, some lean, some in the middle, some towards the rear)

what's the story on those??
(was there a pattern or reason for moving them around like that, or was it just the boys liked a few too many brews at lunchtime??)

;-)
poopsie chicken tush
Charlie B Wrote:Did this solve the derailment problem?
Charlie

Hi Charlie---the 3547 appears to have had better luck when she transferred to Ontario---maybe those heavy-fisted western hoggers didn't know how to treat a lady properly 790_smiley_picking_a_fight
boppa Wrote:Nice loco's

(seems the crew doing the red company logo on the tenders must have had a few brews at lunch on some of them- some are straight, some lean, some in the middle, some towards the rear)

what's the story on those??
(was there a pattern or reason for moving them around like that, or was it just the boys liked a few too many brews at lunchtime??)

;-)

Hi Boppa---I'm pretty sure my good friend Doctor Wayne takes all the precautions when he paints my locos so we can't blame paint fumes for the variation on the tender heralds.
I checked one of my books:"Canadian National Steam Power by Cregg and Corley" for clarification.When the Canadian National Railway was created in 1923,it adopted the tilted rectangular insignia from the Grand Trunk Pacific railway.It was applied at the same angle until 1954,when the application was changed to straight horizontal for simpler installation.
Even though the boys at the paint shop most certainly enjoyed their refreshments,they were just following corporate policy Cheers
Hello again---some more Mike shots for your review

[Image: 021-13.jpg]

[Image: 027-8.jpg]

[Image: 015-14.jpg]
Regarding placement of the tender herald, it seemed to be generally left up to the preference of the particular shop doing the painting - in addition to the tilted/straight issue already explained, the herald was usually centred on the tender side, both vertically and horizontally or centred on the coal bunker area in the same manner. Some tenders looked better one way than they did the other. On vanderbilt-style tenders, the herald was always on the side of the coal or oil bunker.
In the latter years of steam, some locos used in passenger service got the circular herald shown below.
[Image: 5303w120.jpg]

It matched similar ones used on passenger cars in the green/black/gold paint scheme:
[Image: 20032007_021.jpg]

(Both photos courtesy of Mister Nutbar)

Wayne
cn nutbar Wrote:I checked one of my books:"Canadian National Steam Power by Cregg and Corley" for clarification.When the Canadian National Railway was created in 1923,it adopted the tilted rectangular insignia from the Grand Trunk Pacific railway.It was applied at the same angle until 1954,when the application was changed to straight horizontal for simpler installation.
Even though the boys at the paint shop most certainly enjoyed their refreshments,they were just following corporate policy Cheers

The herald was also straight when used with the maple leaf backgrounder (see Mr Nutbar's avatar) during WW2.

Andrew
Hello Everyone---here's a going away shot of S-2-A #3529

[Image: 040a.jpg]
Wow, awesome pics and models !! Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Can we post one from south of the border? Icon_lol
PRR USRA Mike, 8631
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks Charlie for posting that beautiful shot of your USRA Mike---boy,the scenery on your layout looks fantastic Big Grin .Thanks to everyone else for your responses---please feel free to post any pictures of your own Mikes as well
cn nutbar Wrote:Thanks Charlie for posting that beautiful shot of your USRA Mike---boy,the scenery on your layout looks fantastic Big Grin .Thanks to everyone else for your responses---please feel free to post any pictures of your own Mikes as well
I think Photoshop is great Icon_lol
You know ... when I first glanced at that photo, Charlie, I thought it was 1:1 scale ... the locomotive smoke, the foreground dirt, the background trees ... but the muntins and mullions of the buildings windows gave it away ... and then I recognized the Carnival Train, with the beer car and just sat back and smiled to myself! You had me there for a minute, Charlie ... you had me there for a minute.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Hello---CNR S-1-D #3377

[Image: 103.jpg]
P5se Camelback Wrote:You know ... when I first glanced at that photo, Charlie, I thought it was 1:1 scale ... the locomotive smoke, the foreground dirt, the background trees ... but the muntins and mullions of the buildings windows gave it away ... and then I recognized the Carnival Train, with the beer car and just sat back and smiled to myself! You had me there for a minute, Charlie ... you had me there for a minute.
Here is what I started with... Goldth Just in case you wanted to know..
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello Everyone---here's CNR Mike S-1-G class #3513.Unlike many of her sisters,this locomotive does not have the enclosed all-weather cab that was a distinguishing feature for many of Canadian National's mikado steam engines.

[Image: 2005018.jpg]