It's Garys fault!
Just outside of Flagstaff, you can see that this pit has the black cinders and the pinkish stuff practically right next to each other.

[Image: image.php?mode=medium&album_id=98&image_id=2496]
I few notes about northern Arizona geology from my memory...

The "cinders" in the picture above are being quarried from a "cinder cone" volcano. These volcanoes are very common in the Flagstaff area as part of the San Francisco Volcanic Field. The cinders are used primarily for road traction in the winter and possibly mixed with concrete or asphalt as aggregate. I have seen some along the BNSF mainline so I know it has been used for railroad ballast, but I would think it is much too light to be used exclusively. It would have an advantage of draining extremely well. I think "cinder blocks" are made from the cinder waste from coal power plants, and not from volcanic cinders.

The "cinders" are a type of rock called "scoria" that was ejected during the eruption and were mostly solidified by the time they fell to the ground. They range in size from sand grains to the size of a small car, and are composed primarily of volcanic glass and plagioclase feldspar. Scoria is mostly void space - gas bubbles. I am not sure what causes the red and black color, but it may be due to slight mineralogical differences of the magma, the presence of water or other volcanic gasses that alter the color, the temperature of the eruption, or post-eruption weathering. The red color is not due to an "Iron ore", because technically an ore has to be in a sufficient quantity to be extracted usefully and economically. There is iron in the scoria, but it is in a form that is not easily extracted in quantity. Cinder cones are usually loose piles of cinders, making climbing them extremely difficult.

San Francisco Mountain (Which Humphrey's peak is the highest peak) is a large stratovolcano that erupted primarily Andesitic lava. The rocks are generally Andesite with some volcanic ash and pyroclastic layers intermixed. The andesite is medium to dark gray to sometimes pinkish. I don't know if it has ever been used for ballast in the area. Some of the ash and pumice from this volcano has been used as a lightweight additive to concrete (especially in Glen Canyon Dam).

The other red rocks in the area are all sedimentary. In the Sedona area, they are part of the "Schnebly Hill Formation". This formation is a mixture of muddy sandstones and sandy mudstones. The red color arose from the staining by iron oxides after the sediment deposition. The red color is in the cement that holds the grains together, not the grains themselves, and is not in sufficient quantities to be extracted as an ore. In the Grand Canyon, the primary red rocks you see are the Supai group - another mixture of mudstones, sandstones, and limestones, and the Redwall Limestone. Again, these rocks were stained red by iron oxides after deposition. I am not aware of any place where these rocks were mined in sufficient quantity for their metallic minerals. It is also unlikely they were ever used as ballast around Flagstaff because they all lie far beneath the surface or are exposed at lower elevations.

Further north and east of Flagstaff, other sedimentary rocks are red color, especially the Moenkopi formation near Flagstaff and parts of the Chinle formation. These formations are primarily mudstones and shales and would make poor ballast - but provide petrified wood and some nice flagstone. Above them are many sandstone layers, some of which are also red.

There is Granite in Arizona, but that is in the transition zone of central Arizona or the mountains in the Basin and Range of southern Arizona. Usually, this granite is very old and crumbly, and would not do well for countertops or curling stones. But, because it crumbles easily it is often used for landscape gravel (and likely ballast) as either decomposed granite or crushed granite.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thank you Nacho for that very informative geology lesson. Have you ever thought about being a substitute teacher of geology? 357 Seriously, good stuff there. Near Prescott, AZ, there is a mountain named Granite mountain for obvious reasons. My parents ranch (on the other side of Granite mountain) lies in a valley with decomposed granite bluffs rising up on both sides. As a kid, I used to climb the 600' bluff to the south regularly to throw decomposed boulders off the top and watch them explode into a million fragments as they hit bottom.
I still haven't decided what to do with my darker ballast.... Big Grin
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:I still haven't decided what to do with my darker ballast.... Big Grin

Gary, what color is your darker ballast? The other thing I've noticed about Santa Fe's ballast is that the pink or red is only used on the main line. Ballasted sidings will be gray. In fact when I drive by Hobart Yard in East Los Angeles, the mainline with the red ballast is very noticeable, but from the fourth track in to the other side of the yard, all of the ballast is gray. I don't think I have ever seen any of Santa Fe's red or pink ballast on any sidings.
Great info, I have noticed the black areas on internet satellite photos before and now I have the answer..

Thanks again guys.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.colorcountrytrains.org/">http://www.colorcountrytrains.org/</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mooreway.com/">http://www.mooreway.com/</a><!-- m -->
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Gary, what color is your darker ballast?

Russ, here is a pic of the ballast in the yard. It isn't all that bad and I can live with it. Still, I do wish it was much lighter. I may take some fine sand or grout and sprinkle it on and glue it.

[Image: image.php?album_id=125&image_id=2479]
Gary...I think you've got a great "look" for an industrial area. I'd leave it be....
Gus (LC&P).
Gary, I agree with Gus, It looks great, leave it be. Industrial areas here are all darker ballast unless it has just been recently spread. You have a nice mix there that looks like old in the yard and newer on the main track. I used cinder for my yard and industrial track on my old layout. There is still a lot of cinder ballast along tracks around here.
Charlie
Gary, I agree with Charlie and Gus, your ballast looks to be right on for Santa Fe sidings and industrial spurs. If I understand yoour layout concept correctly, you are not really modeling the Santa Fe mainline, and to my knowledge that is the only place where they run the red ballast, at least it is the only place I have ever seen it.
Gus, Charlie, Russ, thanks for the thoughts. If you guys like it, I'll leave it as is. Over in the new industrial district, I'll do lighter ballast similar to Reinhard's and Kurt's.
Keep in mind that only main lines get "the good stuff". I mean that in terms of maintenance as well as rail, ties, ballast, etc. In the steam era, cinders from the steam lokies was used as ballast in yards and on excepted tracks. The mains got "the good stuff", the brighter, cleaner looking ballast. I think what you have there looks just about right.
-Dave