Building and bracing larger structures...
When scratchbuilding or kitbashing large structures, plain sheet styrene can be a useful material. I buy mine from a plastics supplier (check the Yellow Pages) in 4'x8' sheets, and find the .060" thickness to be the most useful. Not only is it thick enough to be mostly self-supporting for small and medium-size projects, but it's also useful as bracing for really large structures, and much cheaper than using strip styrene from the hobby shop. Simply cut it in strips of a suitable width and cement it, at right angles, to the interior or the walls or roof.

For cutting from the large sheet, I place it on the floor of the layout room, then use an 8' metal straightedge and a utility knife. The latter is easier to control than an X-Acto knife, and the blades are cheaper, too. I use lacquer thinner as a cement for all of my styrene projects, as it's cheap and readily available. Any good solvent-type cement will work, though, if you've got money to burn. Wink Misngth

Here are a few examples, all from Dunnville on my layout. Most of you have seen these structures before, so these are a "peek behind the scenes".

The first is the P&M Languay Pump & Compressor factory, seen here in an older photo:

Kitbashed from a pair of Walthers Waterfront Warehouse kits, here it is removed from the layout - most of the modelled structure is at track level, but one visible end fronts onto a street, one storey below grade:

While it appears to be rectangular when in place on the layout, it's actually a trapezoid:

Here's the rear of the structure, which abuts the wall/backdrop:

Interior bracing is merely a series of partition walls, all made from .060" sheet styrene. I added a few extra pieces of sheet to prevent skewing of the walls during construction:

The roof has no internal bracing - the semi-scatchbuilt cupola-style skylight serves for that purpose.

The railroad's main station, combined with a Post Office wing on one end and an express building on the other, sits across the sidestreet from Languay's:

Mostly scratchbuilt from .060" sheet styrene, the windows are modified left-overs from the Languay building. Like Languay's, the structure is trapezoidal in shape, and has street-level ends (it occupies a city block) which can be seen here:

The part jutting up into the air is the underside of the platform, permanently attached to the structure. Here are a couple of interior views, showing both interior partitions and a gridwork of 1" wide strips of .060" strips - they not only support the roof, but also add rigidity to the entire structure:

Next along the tracks, and across Walnut Street, is National Grocers Warehouse. Built mostly from Design Preservation modular walls, it's meant to represent a structure that has grown over the years, with slightly different architectural styles. The odd shape was necessary to cram it into the oddly-shaped real estate which was available:

Here's the foreground section removed from the layout, showing the back wall, curved to match the elevated right-of-way which passes behind the building. The styrene blocks cemented to the upper area of the curved wall are locators for a pair of overhead walkways connecting this section to the newer annex across the tracks:

And a couple views of the interior. Again, the roof-supporting grid keeps the structure's walls aligned:

Here's a look at the newer annex with the older section out of the way, with the blocks for the overhead walkways also visible:

And a look at the interior. This one also has a street-level area, which faces the Express wing of the station, across the street:

Here's the building lot, minus the buildings. The wooden blocks sticking up above the layout framework are locators for the structures, ensuring that the proper distance from the tracks is maintained:

And finally, a quick glimpse of the overhead walkways. This one used a roof from the carshops in Lowbanks, with the visible wall constructed from some Evergreen board and batten siding:

The unseen rear is plain .060" styrene:

Here's the other walkway, made from plain .060" sheet, with a roof from the Kibri crane used at the Dunnville team track:

I hope that this little behind the scenes look has been informative.

Wayne
Now that's what I call a structure!!! Worship
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Wayne, that are great structures.
How did you do the many window openings so evenly aligned on scratch build structures?
Reinhard
Great buildings there! Another plus for using the sheet styrene as you did, is that you can light up different areas within a building, without the whole building glowing
-Steven-

The Zealot progress thread: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267</a><!-- m -->
The current progress thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923</a><!-- l -->
Lotta good info there, I like the ribbing to brace parts of the buildings, fantastic tutorial Thumbsup
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Wow, thanks for the look inside the buildings, DocWayne. It is enlightening, not only to see the interior of the buildings, but to also get a feel for your benchwork in the areas where the buildings sit. Did you remove the buildings just for this thread, or were you working on something else that required their removal?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Beautiful work Wayne, its no wonder all your structures look so great and maintain such nice stance Misngth I bookmarked this thread to re-visit when I start scratching those huge structures for my M&ET layout Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Superb work your Excellency! Thanks for sharing! I too will bookmark this page for reference in the future.

Matt Thumbsup
Thanks to all for the kind words.

Gary S Wrote:Did you remove the buildings just for this thread, or were you working on something else that required their removal?

Actually, Tom's (tomustang) thread on building his steel works mini-mill prompted me to pull all of the structures out for some photos. As you can see, none of the track in this area has been ballasted, so the buildings were still easily removeable. It's my intention to place some low-relief backdrop at the ends of the two streets which now dead-end at the wall. The track can then be ballasted, which should fix the structures in place.

faraway Wrote:How did you do the many window openings so evenly aligned on scratch build structures?

The window openings and the pattern for the cut stone was layed-out using a scale ruler (the stone pattern is just barely visible in the first photo of the station, although more-so in-person). The lines between the blocks of cut stone were scribed with an X-Acto blade, then widened by making a couple of passes with the back (non-sharpened) edge of the blade. Cutting all the window openings was done with a utility knife (and plenty of fresh blades), then all of the exterior walls were lightly sanded with 150 grit sandpaper, to remove the ridges created by the blades' passage.

Wayne
WoW..!! Those are great looking buildings...and not only just on the outside. There as much work on the inside as there is outside..!! Eek
Gus (LC&P).
Excellent modeling, and an excellent idea for a forum thread !

Stein
great job on those structures. Cheers Gives me plenty of ideas Goldth
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thanks for the "inside story" Wayne! I've always admired your structures and the curved ones fascinate me. Your pics also give us a reminder about roof details. Is that big curved retaining wall beneath National Grocers also styrene?
Thanks!
Ralph
doctorwayne Wrote:It's my intention to place some low-relief backdrop at the ends of the two streets which now dead-end at the wall. The track can then be ballasted, which should fix the structures in place.

Does this mean you'll be back to working on the layout? I hope so. More tutorials!!!! Thumbsup
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Wayne:
The National Grocers building in Niagara Falls was located along a curved siding off the (now gone) line that ran just above the tourist area. I think the building curved to match it.
My grandfather was some sort of manager there.
How do get a 4x8 sheet of .060" home? Strapped to the roof of the car?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.