My new CNR Mikado
Hey guys - long time no see!!!

Today I picked up my Mikado from Dr. Wayne, who added the vestibule cab, FWH, pipes and valves, as well as the numerals and the weathering. She's a beauty and I owe Wayne a real debt of gratitude for his stunning conversion. Thanks again Wayne!!!

When I got there, we put the train on his layout and took a little spin through the lovely southern Ontario counrtyside. I managed to get these pics.

Here's one showing all the cool piping and detail, and of course the all-weather cab that is so impossible to find off the shelf.

[Image: 3256_1.jpg]

[Image: 3256_2.jpg]

[Image: 3256_3.jpg]

[Image: 3256_7.jpg]

[Image: 3256_5.jpg]

[Image: 3256_4.jpg]

[Image: 3256_6.jpg]

After the photoshoot, we ventured out into the real 1:1 southern Ontario countryside, and actually caught a train barrelling past at one of our stops. All in all, a very fun day.

cheers
Val
That's a beauty Val! Good to hear from you.
Ralph
That sure is a beautiful machine!

Nice work Wayne! And nice addition to your roster Val. Thumbsup

Is that a working headlight or a photoshop addition?

Andrew
Fantastic work!
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
The loco is superb, but what I am jealous of is you got to visit DocWayne and run some trains on his layout!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Your pictures turned out well, Val. Thumbsup Thumbsup

MasonJar Wrote:That sure is a beautiful machine!

Nice work Wayne! And nice addition to your roster Val. Thumbsup

Is that a working headlight or a photoshop addition?

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. Yeah, that's a working headlight, but I can't take credit, as it came with the loco. It's from BLI and is equipped for DCC operation. With my layout being straight DC, the light comes on at about half-throttle on the handheld, along with some sound effects. Slow speed control is not that good, and it bleeds off the power rather rapidly if the throttle is unplugged to go to the next plug-in. I'm sure that it performs much better on Val's DCC system, though.
For my DC locos, slow speed control is excellent, and a pair of locos with a train can circumnavigate the entire layout with the controller unplugged. Eek

Here's a look at the loco before it was weathered:
[Image: 3256buildersphotos009.jpg]

[Image: 3256buildersphotos017.jpg]

[Image: MoreviewsofValsloco002.jpg]

Wayne
Welcome back Val and what a great way to make a comeback by showcasing your beautiful locomotive.For as long as I have known Wayne and seen his works of art,you might think that I would become use to his skills and abilities but the truth is I am constantly overwhelmed with his excellent craftmanship---he is an artist in all aspects of this hobby and I consider myself very fortunate to have such a talented and generous friend.
What a beautiful looking lady. Thumbsup

Very nice!
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
cn nutbar Wrote:Welcome back Val and what a great way to make a comeback by showcasing your beautiful locomotive.For as long as I have known Wayne and seen his works of art,you might think that I would become use to his skills and abilities but the truth is I am constantly overwhelmed with his excellent craftmanship---he is an artist in all aspects of this hobby and I consider myself very fortunate to have such a talented and generous friend.

Thanks for the welcome and yes, I agree. Wayne is a real artist -- and a great guy!!!

I am so pleased to have a real Canadian looking engine as part of my roster. To me, nothing says CN like an all-weather cab and that big old feedwater heater.

I'm pretty sure there are more modifications Wayne made which I've left out of my description. Things which I would say "good enough", he pursues until he has it right. If you look at his pre-weathered front view, you can see he's added a (forget what it's called) on top of the pilot. Another real CN-type detail.

cheers
Val
Spitfire Wrote:I'm pretty sure there are more modifications Wayne made which I've left out of my description. If you look at his pre-weathered front view, you can see he's added a (forget what it's called) on top of the pilot. Another real CN-type detail.
cheers
Val
Not knowing what the pilot looked like before the changes, I would guess you mean the air tank. The feedwater pump probably took the under-running board position, where the air tank would have been.
Good to hear from you, I was thinking of you last night, wondering when you'd be back.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Looks real good, Wayne did a real nice job on it. Congrats to both of you.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Spitfire Wrote:I'm pretty sure there are more modifications Wayne made which I've left out of my description. If you look at his pre-weathered front view, you can see he's added a (forget what it's called) on top of the pilot. Another real CN-type detail.
cheers
Val
Not knowing what the pilot looked like before the changes, I would guess you mean the air tank. The feedwater pump probably took the under-running board position, where the air tank would have been.
Good to hear from you, I was thinking of you last night, wondering when you'd be back.

Thank you Pete - I knew you'd know what it was! Thumbsup