The 2010 Summer Structure Challenge is here
Here we go, as discussed earlier, we have a new challenge, to make a structure of any type. It sounds simple and it is. This challenge is wide open. Just make a structure, any structure, any way, any scale (except 1:1 or larger). You can do one from scratch, bash a couple of kits together or just build a kit and enhance it to suite your fancy. For those who are more energetic, you can enter more than one structure in the challenge.

Now for a definition, the structure can be anything that is permanently planted on or in the ground and made by man. A building, a bridge, a water tank, a garage or even an amusement ride are just examples of what will qualify.

Here's how it's going to work:

1. Pick a project to work on. It can be from a kit with whatever enhancements you want, you can bash a kit or scratchbuild something. We need not explain any further, since a lot of you have already formulated what you’re going to do.
  2. Start a thread in this forum, "Your Screen Name, 2010 Summer (your project) challenge-." If you are entering more than one project, start separate threads for each one. ie: "Your Screen Name, 2010 Summer (your other project) challenge, and so forth. As an example, “PRRfan’s 2010 summer water tower scratchbuild challenge
  3. You can open your thread at any time starting now and until the closing date of the challenge, but please don't post progress pics or reports until the June 1 start date.
  4. Tell us what you intend to do as part of your challenge and let us know what scale you are working in. As usual, provide us with lots of pictures of your progress.
  5. You may do as many projects as you like, no restrictions as to how or how many you do. Build a couple of structure kits, build one kit and kitbash or scrachbuild another one, your choice.
  6. Since we never give away anything of value away, this challenge is open to all registered members of the Big Blue Train Forum, including the staff.
  7. This challenge is all about your project, you must do a substantial amount of the work, but you or someone else can take the photos.
The challenge starts on June 1, and will run until Sept. 7, the day after Labor Day here in the US. A poll will open after that date, so that we can pick a winner.

As usual, there are no real prizes, just bragging rights and a certificate from Big Blue showing that you won one of the top three spots.

Please post any questions or comments regarding this challenge here in this thread and we will attempt to resolve any issues here before the challenge starts.

Good luck
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Just in case anyone is waiting, you can sign on anytime now, just announce your project if you will. June 1, is just the official start date on showing progress.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Well, I am going to participate. But I will have to choose between one of two projects - either an enginehouse or a schoolhouse.

Hmm :?: :?: :?:
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:Well, I am going to participate. But I will have to choose between one of two projects - either an enginehouse or a schoolhouse.

Hmm :?: :?: :?:
I know where you're coming from, I haven't chose my project either otherwise I'd be announcing it by now too. Misngth
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I'll be entering a scratchbuilt roundhouse for the good ol' LC&P's engine facility. It'll be semi-prototyped Goldth after the SF's roundhouse in Lometa, TX.

Attached Files Image(s)

Gus (LC&P).
I think those photos sealed it. I am going to scratchbuild a two stall roundhouse or enginehouse of some kind. I haven't decided how it will look exactly. Has anyone seen a two stall roundhouse? Or would two stalls basically mean a parallel track enginehouse?
--
Kevin
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:I think those photos sealed it. I am going to scratchbuild a two stall roundhouse or enginehouse of some kind. I haven't decided how it will look exactly. Has anyone seen a two stall roundhouse? Or would two stalls basically mean a parallel track enginehouse?

I would think this to be correct... though I wouldn't say that no 2 track roundhouse ever existed. One thing I have noticed in railroading is that there is a prototype for everything, even when the prototype may seem not only illogical, but improbable.

Build your 2 track roundhouse, make one wall out of a different masonry, or different (newer) lumber. It could represent the last 2 remaining stalls of a formerly much larger structure.
-Dave
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's projects. Unfortunately, I won't be participating though. Got too much trackwork to do!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's projects. Unfortunately, I won't be participating though. Got too much trackwork to do!

A bridge is a structure Misngth Just sayin...
--
Kevin
I'm drawn to this Challenge, as I when I was a Big Blue Newbie I was reading absolutely everything here, but especially the threads from the 2009 Spring Bash Challenge. But ...

As is often my problem ... so many women, so little time! Oops! :oops: Sorry ... my mind wandered there for a minute. 357 So many projects with potential, gotta choose one for the Challenge.

I've narrowed it down to two likely entries, and have to make a choice. I'd like to build a GERN structure to go along with the newspaper article ...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://screencast.com/t/ZjM1MDAzND">http://screencast.com/t/ZjM1MDAzND</a><!-- m -->

... since I'll need such a structure once I get past the building benchwork stage of building my layout. On the otherhand, having been on hiatus from the hobby for twenty years, something inside keeps saying, "Go for something simple, like a signal tower, to get your modeling skills back up to speed again before you take on a big project like a big footprint factory." Icon_idea :!:

Being cursed with the ability to see both side of many problems, I am having trouble making a decision! :? :?
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I'm in a similar bind. I'll have to think about what will work on the layout, now that I'm moving ahead on that front. I could build a structure for a diorama, but I've already got a few of those sitting around half-finished and I don't want to add to that clutter. All this talk of enginehouses has got me thinking...would a turntable count?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
ocalicreek Wrote:All this talk of enginehouses has got me thinking...would a turntable count?
Galen

Why, I would think it would certainly count. Sounds like a good idea to me!
-Dave
ocalicreek Wrote: I'm in a similar bind. ... All this talk of enginehouses has got me thinking...would a turntable count?

Well, let's see ... it's not rolling stock ... it's not motive power ... it is attached to the ground ... I would think a Turntable is a structure! Cheers Thumbsup Big Grin
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Alrighty then, a turntable (and possibly the Revell enginehouse, kitbashed of course) will be the structure IF I get some track layed and other such work done on the layout, along with completing the detailing on the 0-4-0 Shifter.

There's a nice article by Joe Kunzelman in an MR from 1972 (March, I think) about scratchbuilding a turntable. Really covers the basics and allows a great degree of freedom in detailing.

Like I said, though, this is a big IF, considering summer is coming...eventually...it's been rainy and cold around here when it's supposed to be sunny and warming. Us gardener types are waiting and watching our plants just sit there doing nothing.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Right you are, Galen ... just looked in my MR library, pulled out the binder marked 1972 and sure enough, March, 1972, page 43, "Build a turntable," by Joe Kunzelmann and the MR staff. And in the February issue, page 69, "Planning a roundhose" by Spike Trail (whoever he was) and then on page 62, "Kunzelmann builds a roundhouse " by Joe Kunzelmann and the MR staff. Either you have a very good memory or you have a library like mine! Cheers

I hope that helped! if you need a copy of the article, PM me. Thumbsup
biL