Gallery mysteries...
The Gallery seems awfully persnickety about accepting photos. While it will accept a picture 800w by 600h, it won't accept one 600w by 800h. Also, I placed some appropriately-sized pictures in the wrong sub-album, then realised my mistake. After some searching, I figured out how to delete them, then found out I couldn't place the very same photos in the proper sub-album: supposedly "the file size was too large". I checked - they're the same size they were when I originally put them in the wrong sub-album. What gives? And while I'm at it, why are my re-sized pictures (all 800x600, except for the ones that are 450x600) showing as such disparate file sizes? They're all at the same resolution, so what exactly determines the file size?
Thanks for any illumination you can provide.

Wayne
Image Settings

Upload Multiple Images at a time --- 10

Maximum file size (bytes) --- 128000 bytes

Maximum image width (pixels) --- 800

Maximum image height (pixels) --- 600

Resize bigger images -------- Yes

Maximum-width on viewing image --- 800

Maximum-height on viewing image --- 600

Ok - so, if you uploaded something 800 tall, it may not have been able to resize it correctly, since the Width was less than 800.. it didn't know what to do with it.

any image larger on both sizes (Ex. 650 high X 900 wide) will be shrunk down Resized to approximately 600 X 800. So that's why the larger images are 600 x 800

further - just so they display nicely, we have the Viewing Image sizes set to.. you guessed it --- 600 X 800 Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
So you're saying that I can upload images larger than the acceptable size and they'll be automatically re-sized? That would be a real timesaver (and space-saver too, as I'm keeping files of the originals plus a duplicate of the re-sized images on my computer). The ones that were accepted in the wrong sub-album (my mistake) had been re-sized prior to uploading, but the same photos, all 600H by 800W, wouldn't upload when I tried to place them in the correct sub-album.

I try to learn something new everyday, but not all of it really sinks in. 35 35

Wayne
Looks like not! I've just attempted to upload a single, already re-sized image to my "Structures" sub-album. The picture is 600H x 800W, and at a resolution of 230 ppi, the same as all pictures uploaded thus far. A click on "Properties" shows the size to be 151kb. Some of the GERN photos already uploaded are the same dimensions but over 190kb, but I'm getting that "Your file is too big" message with this one. (That one just begs a comment, but I'll restrain myself.) Wink

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:but I'm getting that "Your file is too big" message with this one. (That one just begs a comment, but I'll restrain myself.) Wink

Wayne

I've heard Gern flux will do that, makes it 3% larger.............the file that is Icon_lol
Jim

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dieseldetailer.proboards53.com/index.cgi">http://dieseldetailer.proboards53.com/index.cgi</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.okmtc.com/community/index.php">http://www.okmtc.com/community/index.php</a><!-- m -->
Sarge Wrote:
doctorwayne Wrote:but I'm getting that "Your file is too big" message with this one. (That one just begs a comment, but I'll restrain myself.) Wink

Wayne

I've heard Gern flux will do that, makes it 3% larger.............the file that is Icon_lol

Yeah, it adds a new dimension to GERN's ad slogan "When in doubt, just Flux it!" Eek Goldth

Wayne
That is too strange oh well - keep the maximum dimentions at 600 X 800 so you should have shrunk that original picture 800 high X 600 wide to 600 high and whatever width... Like Don ssays - we're still learnign how all this works..

It's so nice of you to push the envelope so we can see how everyhting works Big Grin
790_smiley_picking_a_fight Shoot Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Well I thought I might try to add a few photos to the Gallery, but finding out how to do it might take a lot of instructions.
I see guys complaining about the larger files taking so long on dial-up. I can't imagine the time it takes the way these low resolution pictures are displayed. They are slow on my broadband service. IMHO, the gallery is not the best I have ever seen.
a slide show option would be nice too.
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:Well I thought I might try to add a few photos to the Gallery, but finding out how to do it might take a lot of instructions.
I see guys complaining about the larger files taking so long on dial-up. I can't imagine the time it takes the way these low resolution pictures are displayed. They are slow on my broadband service. IMHO, the gallery is not the best I have ever seen.
a slide show option would be nice too.
Charlie
Remember - all pictures can be linked off site at Photobucket and other places - your c hoice Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75