"tip" for a junk yard
Being new to this forum, I'm sorry if this method was discussed before. I wanted to share a tip for a easy to build "scrap pile" for a junk yard. About a year ago, I attended a local train show. At one of the modular layouts, I noticed a great looking scrap yard (HO) packed into a corner of the layout. I asked one of the members about it and he was very happy to share his "how I did it" story with me.

It started when he took his vehicle in to be serviced for brakes at a local auto repair shop. He noticed one of the mechanics filing down some metal on a machine (filing brakes or rotars?). He looked at the shavings left on the floor and his light bulb went on. He asked the mechanic if he could take some of the shavings. He got all he wanted. He took them home and went to work. He built up 2 mockups (2 piles) out of styrofoam. He then "shaped them" into realistic piles. He then glued the shavings onto the mockups. Presto. 2 scrap piles. He then left them outside for a couple of days to "weather (rust)". The result was so realistic. He left the shavings outside as well to weather. He "sprinkled" these around the siding then added a crane and 2 gons and got himself a neat little siding.

Sorry to say, I did not take a picture so you will have to use your imagination. Someone mention "ones mans junk...."
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!
Great idea. And for those who don't have access to shavings, how about making your own. Drill holes through some metal and collect the shavings. For finer stuff, use a file. Maybe a bunch of cuts with a band saw.

Darn it. I had a whole pile of metal shavings from cutting all my shelf bracket rails. Swept them up and threw them away. 35
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Nice idea...just be very careful to vacuum up everything thoroughly after the bond sets and before you run any engines near there. A fleck or two of that in a motor and you beastie is toasted.
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Boy....your not kidding. I forgot to mention that. Don't get those metal shavings near the rails. That will sure cause a short that will be hard to find.
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!