Using "Garden" lights on G Scale
I was reading this post http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...icd#p42245 from Jeffrey aka Running Bear and decided to try this out.

If that solar cell charges a 1.5 volt AA sized battery and the battery lights a LED, then why can't you substitute a bit (30 ft) of wire and attach the head of the Garden light to an existing LED on the layout?????

Well - you can!!! All you need is "just enough electrical knowledge"..... and a window near the layout Goldth Goldth
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
First - I have always had trouble with one LED light i have in the corner of the layout. It would never light correctly, that is, when the power switch was thrown, nothing happened Shoot

So, after reading Jeffrey's post, I decided that maybe I could replace said "evil" LED with a high brightness led and set it up that, as long as the room lights are on - the LED is off.....

But when you turn the lights off (Simulate night) the lights (In houses, structures, tunnels on streets etc) will turn on!!! 2285_

Sound good????? Yeah - it sounded so good to me - I had to experiment hehehehehehe
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Step 1:

Spend money - Yeah - I groaned too, but by now you should know that everyhting "good" costs money heheheheheh

ONE of these costs $3.00... Happy now? It's not TOO much money Big Grin
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Westinghouse-Solar-8-Piece-Gladiator-Garden-Light-Set/13446846">http://www.walmart.com/ip/Westinghouse- ... t/13446846</a><!-- m -->

So I forced myself to buy one - rationalizing that it's for another neat gimmick on the layout heheheheh No - it didn't take much....

After twisting it's head off Eek I was left with this:

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Now it's time to do the usual "How the Heck does this thing work??????

Well - when the sun shines, the solar cell charges up... See that circle at the top of the picture above? -- That turns off the LED and allows the battery to charge... (This is why you need a window near the layout or at least a light that is on a good portion of the day before you want to light the LED.)

Now, when it gets dark.. "Lights OUT" - The circle (CDS Cell) switches on the LED... Simple eh?????

Lights out - LED ON

Lights on - LED OFF

So, now that the mounted LED is working (Cover up the circle with your finger) I proceeded to destroy the garden light - in order to assimilate it into the layout hehehehehehee

First - Take the screws out of the bottom revealing the innards.....

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

The above picture shows the Battery, the circuit board and the 2 Crimp Connectors I installed after cutting off the LED (It's under the crimp connectors.)

After cutting the wires and attaching the connectors, I then found the High Bright LED and attached Crimps to it too.

This photo shows the tiny "Original LED (Green Arrow) and the newer larger High Brightness Red LED (Red Arrow) before the connectors were attached.

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Now, I wrapped the circuit board and the connectors with electrical tape and put the circuit board back inside the head, to make sure everything would fit.

Then I decided where i was going to mount the solar cell on the side of the layout facing the window.

Then I mounted the LED in the lighthouse, ran the wires and after trial and error - I found which wire (Positive or Negative) went to which connector on the head. The LED light up!! 2285_

I crimped everything and cut one wire - connected the leads to my switch on the control panel and it's done!!!!!!

LIGHTS ON:

Lights OFF:

Don't be fooled by the camera flash!! The Room lights were off!!! and as soon as I shut them off. the lighthouse turned on!! Really a Cool effect!!!!!!

Thanks for the idea Jeffrey!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

and finally - a pic of where I mounted the head assembly under one of the bridges, where it will get "daylight" from both the window and the flourescent light overhead.

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Cool, never seen your Layout before Icon_lol

Is that an old Marx switch tower on the upper left corner of picture?

Great use of modern technology. You would probably like the Forrest M. Mims III series of electronics for the hobbyist sold by radio shack. I think they were call Enginers mini note books. Cool stuff but for the more serious experimenter Sam's circuit cook book series is great.
AF350 Wrote:Cool, never seen your Layout before Icon_lol

Great use of modern technology. You would probably like the Forrest M. Mims III series of electronics for the hobbyist sold by radio shack. I think they were call Enginers mini note books. Cool stuff but for the more serious experimenter Sam's circuit cook book series is great.

Yeah, don't throw those things away when the batter goes dead. Salvage the LED and the solar panel for other projects. I turned one into a solar "beam bot" robot.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
AF350 Wrote:Cool, never seen your Layout before Icon_lol

There's pics of the layout (Old and new) all over the place LOL Look in the contest forum too Smile Smile

The Tower is one of the Lionel and Marx things i have spread out throughout the layout Smile Smile Smile

I had a bunch of Sams stuff - I had a few friends that worked for Radio Shack in the 80's Big Grin Big Grin

Thanks!!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

nachoman Wrote:Yeah, don't throw those things away when the batter goes dead. Salvage the LED and the solar panel for other projects. I turned one into a solar "beam bot" robot.

Sounds Neat!!!! Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Cool stuff Ngauger / Running bear. That got the wheels turning on a future project. 8-) 8-) 8-)
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew