Steamtrains' 2010 Summer structure challenge entry
Well....Been having a TON of problems with my computer, but things seem to have settled down for now...So, just opening this thread to let you all know I'll be working on this, and update as work progresses.....
(If this thread is in the wrong forum feel free to move it to where it belongs....)

This is what I'm working on...

Attached Files Image(s)

Gus (LC&P).
An interesting structure Gus, it presents a great opportunity, with scope to make it a feature building with all the ageing and weathering detail you can apply.

LIFE....
..... Abandon the search for truth
Look for a good fantasy
Do you have plans for this roundhouse or are you going from photos alone? Looks like an interesting structure.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I've got drawings that one of our "lurker" friends sent to me. (Thanks again, Bob...) They are copies of the originals from the SF archives. Even though they are in PDF format, they've been invaluable in coming up with the "final" version. As I mentioned elsewhere, the drawings will be a guideline for the "semi-prototypical" model I've planned. For starters, the drawings are for a 5-stall structure, the photos show 4, and the model will be three...I don't have room for 4 stalls... Goldth Also, the drawings have brick walls noted, but as can be seen in the photos, these are board & battens, which is how I will build it. Also, the photos show the structure as it appeared in the mid-70's, after it had been converted to a cotton storage house. My build will be as I envision it would have been in its railroad days. Dimensionally it will be very close to the drawings, and will have all windows and doors as are shown on the drawings (or as close as I can get with Tichy's windows).

For starters, here's one of the drawings...

[Image: rdhs1.jpg]

And of the initial stages of the build...

[Image: DSCF2479.jpg]
Windows, windows everywhere....
[Image: DSCF2477.jpg]
[Image: DSCF2474.jpg]
[Image: DSCF2473.jpg]

Since I couldn't find the taller windows anywhere, I spliced two together to get one...

I started with the windows so I could determine the exact opening sizes I'll be needing to cut out. Since the windows go together in pairs, or triads, I'll be pre-gluing them together and fit as one assembly into the walls. That's what those "planks" are for.

The windows are all glazed now, so I'll be moving on to the cut-and-glue part of the build, but I'll have to finish the scale size drawings first... :oops:

Been meaning to ask...You can see on the drawings that two of the side windows span across two of the side "columns". Would it have been built this way, or should the windows be moved to clear the columns..?? Also...What type of roof materials would have been used on such a structure??

More to come....
Gus (LC&P).
More drawings showing frontal views and details....

[Image: rdhs5.jpg]
[Image: rdhs4.jpg]
Gus (LC&P).
Looking good!
Way to go, Gus! It is very cool that you have those drawings to help you match the prototype. I like it alot! Looking forward to the construction.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Cheers Me too!
Ralph
This looks like a great project!
Can't wait for more updates!
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
Progress has been slow...but steady..... :oops:
Drawings are done and rest of materials are ordered or purchased (mostly), so things should move along a little faster...

Just a couple of pics of side view drawings....

[Image: DSCF2480.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2481.jpg]

Stay tuned...chips'll be flying soon...
Gus (LC&P).
That's exactly what I need to do - draw out my plans! From your plans, it looks like the prototype had posts into concrete footings. I am assuming this was a wood frame structure with wooden posts. Does it say what the floor was made of?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
AHhh! Gus! You take me back! Gotta love that quad pad! But seriously ... we're back to thoughtful planning and careful execution. It's a strategy from which it's had to go wrong.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:AHhh! Gus! You take me back! Gotta love that quad pad! But seriously ... we're back to thoughtful planning and careful execution. It's a strategy from which it's had to go wrong.

And I am watching carefully and learning from the process.

Very impressive, Gus.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
nachoman Wrote:That's exactly what I need to do - draw out my plans! From your plans, it looks like the prototype had posts into concrete footings. I am assuming this was a wood frame structure with wooden posts. Does it say what the floor was made of?

Seniore Nachos y Salsa Picante ...

According to the drawings, the structure is a wood framed structure (in the Title Block) with a 7" thick poured concrete floor on 1'-0" x 2'-11" poured concrete footings. Some of the dimensions are difficult (for me) to read as they are quite small on the screen and enlarging them only serves to make them unreadbly fuzzy. But it appears that Mister SteamTrains has the correct documents with the necessary dimensions to construct his roundhouse.

I wish I could make out more of the details on that drawing! Having put myself though school working between classes, on the weekends and during the summers as a draftsman in an architects' office, I love looking at those old drawings -- there is much to be learned on those old prints!

Have at it SteamTrains! Give it all you've got! Based on the workmanship I've seen on this Forum, I'm excited to see the results! 2285_ 2285_
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
biL is correct....The floor and footings are concrete. I'll be simulating this by using a "concretized" balsa wood base. I'll not be overly fussy with the interior as it'll be almost impossible to look more than a couple of inches into it due to its placement on the layout. It will be lighted as "night-time" running is really neat...
Gus (LC&P).