How would this be switched?
Puddlejumper Wrote:I might have the terminology screwed up. We called them static drops on the ex-CR in D.C. It's when you uncouple and bleed off the car on a grade with the handbrake applied, then run the loco past the switch, then release the brake on the car and ride it in, stopping the car past the switch. Then you can use the loco to spot said car.

Makes sense - kind of a flying switch but using gravity to move the car instead of momentum. Probably still allowed since it seems as if there is less likelihood of a derailment because you can ensure the points are thrown before proceeding.

Thanks for the explanation. Smile

Andrew
As a new conductor, a trainmaster once told me this rule of thumb to give me some confidence. It applies to both the real railroads AND MODEL RAILROADS!!!! Let's see how many replies this draws. Icon_lol

He said: "Look, Steve, you can give 10 conductors the same drill sheet (switchlist) and you will get 10 different ways on how to get the same work done." 35

There is no right or wrong way - only a "more efficient way" to get it done. How fast you get the work done comes with the experience and knowledge gained from working the job. You look at what you have in front of you then ask yourself "what do I need to have this look like when I'm done". It's like looking at a jigsaw puzzle box. Where you put all the pieces (the work) is up to you. But it all needs to fit to have it done correctly.

Remember though, on the railroad, no 2 days are ever the same. So, whatever work you did today, most likely, won't be done tomorrow. If your railroad is set up like that, well, then I say its time to add some sidings because it's going to get, how do I put this nicely, ho-hum after awhile. If you don't want to add sidings then try this:

Treat it like a game and "change the deck" often. Put a couple of "what if's" in there. Like:

"what if" the work had to be done by "another crew" coming from the other direction?

"what if" you could not "block the main" because of "dispatchers orders"?

"what if" you had too many cars because you did not work for 3 or 4 days because of "weather"?

"what if" one of your cars derailed and fouled a siding but the other customer still needed a switch?

You see, the point of all of this is that nothing is set in stone. There are soooo many variables to consider. So to ask if there is a right way...the answer I give is this: There is no right way and no wrong way, there is just your way. :mrgreen:

Some say "I look into this wayyyyyyy too much" Maybe I do, but, heck, I'm having fun doing it. Popcornbeer

Have fun. That's ALL that matters! Thumbsup
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!
Thaks for the advice, Fed. I agree that there isn't one right way to do things, but since I never worked on a real railroad and have never participated in an ops session, I definitely need some nudges to get started in the right direction. Sometimes the most efficient moves are not always obvious. I'm also trying to learn the reasons why certain things are done the way they are. But you are right, it is all good!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times