Should we condense some of the forum choices?
Looking at the Board index, it seems there is quite a bit of overlap between some of the forums here. It seems to me that the "Depot" and the "Dispatcher's Office" could easily be combined into one forum without loosing anything. I also wonder if "Get to know us" is kind of redundant, it could just as easily be done in "Hobo's Camp." In fact some of the posts in the thread in "Hobo's Camp" are the same sort of posts as are found in "Get to know us." I also think the "Mugshot spot" would function as well as a sub-forum or even a "sticky" in "Hobo's Camp." Just some random thoughts as I peruse the Gauge.
yeah - we kind of spread everyhting out for the debut, so everyone coudl find everyhting. we're doing an evaluation in a week or 2 to see what needs to be changed.. Thanks!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Well ,while you are reviewing things & condensing forums, please don't forget about a scale vehicle forum. Please Please. Thanks.
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
The view new posts and view active posts seems to be the same.
And please don't forget a track planning forum.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
nomad Wrote:The view new posts and view active posts seems to be the same.
And please don't forget a track planning forum.

Loren
Alread y have a layout planning forum Big Grin Big Grin

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=46">viewforum.php?f=46</a><!-- l -->
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I stuck this, so I would'n lose it Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

The ONLY thing I miss about THE old Gauge is being able to view all new posts from all forums on one page...I may already be able to do so, just not smart enough....
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
scubadude Wrote:The ONLY thing I miss about THE old Gauge is being able to view all new posts from all forums on one page...I may already be able to do so, just not smart enough....
Click the large logo at the top of any page.... Then right underneath it - click "New posts" it'll list the all Smile Smile

Here is the actual link:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts">search.php?search_id=newposts</a><!-- l -->
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

YES!
Pat copied the link to right under the logo - it's on every page now Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

What happened to the "preview" feature for the posts that's supposed to have been already implemented..?? I don't see it. Nope

Edit...NOW I see it...!! Eek
Gus (LC&P).
Yes please!!

My suggestions:

Merge "Lower Berth" into "Hobo's Camp" -- no need for 2 general talk areas. I like the name Hobo's Camp for this.

Merge "Get to Know us" and "Mugshots" .

The Photo area - I'm not sure why this has to be separate. Don't we already post photos under the various scale headings if models, or real world, if real?

Alternatively: Photography, Scenery, Books, Video -- it worked before, why not keep using it?

As well, why have an area for discussing anything train related? It seems the individual forum areas amply cover anything train related already. Need to talk about real US trains? Goes in US Rails. Need to talk about industries along the rails? Goes in Industries. Need to alert people to an upcoming RR related TV show? Put in general talk, or I should say "Hobo Camp".

In my ideal world things would look like this:

DISPATCHER'S OFFICE
• Forum Announcements
• Rules of the Road
• FAQ/Help

THE DEPOT
• Hobo's Campfire - talk about anything here
• Get to Know Us - including mugshots
• Contest Forums
• Photography, Scenery, Books, Video

MAINLINE
• N/Z
• HO
• O/G
• Narrow Gauge
• Modular
• Traction
• Scratchin' and Bashin'

THE BACKSHOP
• Engineer's Workship - Technical discussion
• DCC
• Tips and Tricks
• Operations (missing right now)

THE REAL WORLD
• US Rails
• Canada Rails
• International Rails

RR MARKETPLACE
• Swap Meet
• Reviews

MOD ZONE
Val's suggestions here, along with the ones HERE would help to clean up the area and make it appear less overwhelming. And that's not meant to denigrate the work that's been done to set this up, as we wouldn't even be able to have these suggestions without the initial set-up. Wink We've managed to move the furniture to the new house, now it's time to put the stuff where it belongs and finish the decorating.

Wayne
In a couple of weeks we plan on taking a second look at our forums. We could add, delete, merge, move and/or change names. We wanted to give ourselves a run of a month or so to shake things out. The same goes for the mods assigned to forums. If they want to swap forums or take on new ones, that's the time to do it. We will make all these changes at the same time. Input like this is invaluable, so feel free to add your comments.

One thing we tried to do was to name things a bit different than we had on other forums, hence the "Hobo's camp" rather than "Caboose", "Shutterbug area" rather than "Photo...". Some name changes work, some may not, so please keep your suggestions coming.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I noticed in my list that I forgot to add Trackplanning. :oops:

Val