Another Miami Layout
I Changed the Track-Plan to include names of the streets and buildings, among other things.

Its a little bit messy but it works.

[Image: EastRail-Track-Plan-2.jpg?t=1277006304]
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justin ...
I like what I see ... very, very Florida with Street, Court, Terrace, Avenue and all with the same number, all right next to each other , as well as popping up several blocks over but with no way to get through directly because of an unbridged canal in the way ... very prototypical! It's maddening, though, trying to find your way around the first few times in a new neighborhood! Wallbang Wallbang

But all that available real estate on 59th st. NW and no business has snapped it up? Confusedhock:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Another Track-Plan update:
[Image: EastRail-Track-Plan-3.jpg?t=1277070375]

I moved some stuff around to make it more like the prototype, and added some more buildings to NW 59th Street Thumbsup

I will have some more pics later today when I finish Benchwork.
Justin Miller
Why did you get rid of Weeks Gas?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
In the prototype it's spur is facing the other direction and it was on different area of east-rail than I am modeling. Removing it also allowed me add more spots to the warehouses.
Justin Miller
O.K.!! Now we're using the real estate! I like 59th St. NW now! Cram 'em in there! Everybody's scramblin' for a buck! Don't forget a few garish signs, and a couple of dumpsters and trash and maybe even a couple of winos sharing a "taste" behind one of the dumpsters! Oh, yeah, now were talkin' Industrial Miami, far from the pastels and Art Deco architecture of South Beach ... real life Miami!

I think that maybe what Galen was questioning, if I may be so bold ('cuz I see it, too,) is that when Weeks Gas was back there in the corner, if Guixen Foods has a car for pick up, but Colmar Storage is unlaoding two or three cars, hey, we've got a problem there, Cookie! But the new track arrangement gives everybody their own track ... how neat and tidy ... and "problem-free!" Know what I mean? Just sayin' ...
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Justinmiller171 Wrote:I got Pics !!!

Even though I still have to finish parts of the benchwork, I decided to take some pics of what I have so far.
All Buildings are temporary and most will not be used at all, The curves will be replaced with code 83 24" when I get around to buying them

Looks great and I like the fact you used large turnouts, which look prototypical, and also will operate smoothly. One suggestion if I may:
Instead of 'stock' 24" radius track, I'd suggest to use flex rail. You can then use an easement curve transiting from the straight to the curve. (if needed make a jig from a thin piece of plywood to bend your flex around before spiking it down). It will look even better that way and will improve the running of your trains that way too.

Looking forward to the progress of this layout!

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Actually, biL, you're onto something there, but the first reason I thought of was that I like tank cars. Variety is the spice of life and providing a place to run some tank cars, to my mind at least, sure beats the modern 50' box cars. I know they're more colorful in many ways (grafitti notwithstanding) than the old 40'ers of the transition era, but the modern tank cars are nice to look at too, even if less colorful.

Galen
Darn it Justin, why couldn't you have posted this a month ago? Wink

I like the layout so much, I could have incorporated a copy of it into my new layout! Big Grin
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I Will Still use some tank cars because Guixen's food should take in tank cars for their food products.

Anyway, I completed benchwork yesterday and I hope to take some pics soon(even though they are not very exiting)

The roof should be fixed soon ( I had a scare the other day when one of my cats was climbing around in the roof and fell through one of the holes, and onto my layout. 35
Justin Miller
Justinmiller171 Wrote:I Will Still use some tank cars because Guixen's food should take in tank cars for their food products.

Anyway, I completed benchwork yesterday and I hope to take some pics soon(even though they are not very exiting)

The roof should be fixed soon ( I had a scare the other day when one of my cats was climbing around in the roof and fell through one of the holes, and onto my layout. 35

Justin,

I'm not sure how accurate you care to be with modeling East Rail, however Guixen's Foods did not take tank cars since they only had a one car siding and took only perishable refrigerated food.

I have included some photos of Guixens for your use. I think one of the most interesting things about modeling East Rail and Miami in general is that the color of the buildings are something you never see up north. Maybe I just yearn to be in an area with palm trees and art deco buildings.

Larry

[Image: er30.jpg]

[Image: er29.jpg]

[Image: er32.jpg]

[Image: er29.jpg]
This is going to be a nice layout, so Miami is what the cool kids model then.. Smile

Like the way how the trains will trundle between the buildings around 32nd and 35th, will be waiting for pictures.
-norm
Following Lance Mindheim's advice I added a storage track next to the Archive America warehouse, I also made a few other changes.
[Image: East-Railv4-1.jpg?t=1277238249]

Since benchwork is done, my next project will be to add plaster cloth over the wood to cover-up the knots and other deformities. I live in California and it is very hard to find any pink or blue foam here so I will have to stick with track over wood.
Justin Miller
I'm liking what you are doing with the track plan changes ... nice work!

But I do have a question ... why are you going to cover "knots and other deformities" with plaster cloth? :?

Fear not ... not everyone uses blue or pink foam ... plywood works as a sub-roadbed, but if I were you I would either use Homabed (it's made in CA) or cork as roadbed on top of the plywood! Just a suggestion, Justin, but either one will help with noise reduction as well as give you a "proper profile" for the roadbed where it is raised above the surrounding terrain.

Keep on pluggin'! Thumbsup Big Grin
biL

Cheers

I use the white beaded foam for scenic contours (then again I model Appalachia) and good old plywood for subroadbed. On my current layout I'll be using a fiber board product for roadbed. It's not homasote, but it's not ceiling tiles either. Comes in a 4x8 sheet. I'm hoping it'll have some sound deadening properties.

The updated plan looks great!

Galen