The Great I&O Chase 6-30-10
I chased the Indiana & Ohio local south out of Delta, Ohio on Wednesday with a friend. We picked up the chase just south of Malinta and went all the way into Ford Park. Here's what we captured:

[Image: 4752042342_7484396f74.jpg]

[Image: 4751401787_c75187246e.jpg]

[Image: 4752045190_650b311346.jpg]

[Image: 4751405977_32a499f1a1.jpg]

[Image: 4752045870_d74c3f5651.jpg]

[Image: 4751405381_3c0f5ece1d.jpg]

[Image: 4752046362_607699059a.jpg]

More photos are on flickr.
Good looking little short line. Whose tracks are those..?? They seem to be of a "Big Brother"...
Thanks for posting. Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
It's interesting to me that there appears to have been some switching take place in between photo opportunities ... there are fewer and fewer cars each time. It looks very much like a typical short model railroad train in those last couple of views, with merely an engine and two cars ... now there's a prototype view for all of you with shelf-style "shifting" layouts.

Thanks for the photo essay!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Great chase! Thumbsup

Of course chasing any short line is fun.. Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Steamtrains Wrote:Good looking little short line. Whose tracks are those..?? They seem to be of a "Big Brother"...
Thanks for posting. Thumbsup

They are all on I&O-owned rails except for the fifth shot which was taken operating on CSX trackage rights.
P5se Camelback Wrote:It's interesting to me that there appears to have been some switching take place in between photo opportunities ... there are fewer and fewer cars each time. It looks very much like a typical short model railroad train in those last couple of views, with merely an engine and two cars ... now there's a prototype view for all of you with shelf-style "shifting" layouts.

Yes, I did say I was chasing the local. They dropped off a covered hopper at a plastics plant in Leipsic and three coil steel cars at a processing plant in Ottawa.

The Indiana & Ohio is considered to be a regional, not a shortline. They operate through freights, unit trains, and locals as pictured.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railamerica.com/RailServices/IORY.aspx">http://www.railamerica.com/RailServices/IORY.aspx</a><!-- m -->
Hmm..I wonder why RA calls I&O a short line? :?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I stand corrected.

The FRA classifies railroads based on revenue. Apparently the I&O has slipped to Class III "shortline" status.
railohio Wrote:I stand corrected.

The FRA classifies railroads based on revenue. Apparently the I&O has slipped to Class III "shortline" status.

Here's the thought behind the question..A short line with 570-miles? I know about the FRA classes and all but,that seems mighty long for a short line that serves 3 states and handles lots of freight..

I agree with you it is a regional.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry