doctorwayne's Summer Challenge - Part II: A shanty...
Flawless.... as usual! Worship
It's about time to install these shanties on the layout. The first task for crews is to clear the sites, first at Elfrida:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos143.jpg]

...then at Lowbanks:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos147.jpg]

The Grand Valley work gang, taking advantage of the latest mechanised methods, make short work of their site at South Cayuga:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos154.jpg]

...and in no time, the shanty is in place and landscaped:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos155.jpg]

With time to spare, the crew also installs an outhouse, just across the road, for the crossing tender's convenience:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos157.jpg]

Back at Elfrida, the building plot has been cleared...
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos158.jpg]

...and the shanty erected:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos159.jpg]

At Lowbanks, the crew already has the structure in place:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos163.jpg]

Looks like it's still wet from the landscaping work, too:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos166.jpg]

I'll add some more details at a future date, as the buildings are supposed to be removeable from their bases.

Wayne
Very nice, DocWayne. Love the shot of the "mechanical advantage"! 357
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
My LPP's get nervous when they see large hammers, assorted knives and tools laying around. Glad to see your little folk have become comfortable working with the heavy equipment although the com-padre there in the tan pants might want to get out of the way. Misngth
doctorwayne Wrote:It's about time to install these shanties on the layout. The first task for crews is to clear the sites, first at Elfrida:

The Grand Valley work gang, taking advantage of the latest mechanised methods, make short work of their site at South Cayuga:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos154.jpg]

I'll add some more details at a future date, as the buildings are supposed to be removeable from their bases.

Wayne
Icon_lol The worker holding the scraper is too funny Icon_lol ....BTW, I like the yellow handrails on the shack....
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Looks great! I enjoyed the photos of the installation too! Goldth
Ralph
I hadn't noted the LPP holding up the "super scraper".... 357 357
Gus (LC&P).
I guess the yellow handrails aren't so bad, now that I see the structure in place. Wink

Nice work, as usual, Wayne!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Thanks, Galen. As you can see, the ones with the handrails are in fairly close quarters, so I thought a safety device was appropriate, even in the '30s. Wink Incidentally, many railroads employed as crossing tenders employees who had been injured while on the job in other capacities - this was a sort of health insurance/pension for people disabled and no longer suitable for their original tasks.

Other folks injured while working for the railroad often lost their jobs, though, leaving them with little alternative but to become drivers and passengers in vehicles scattered about the layout. 357 Misngth
[Image: Layoutviewsetc1-033B.jpg]

Willoughby! Next stop Willoughby! Icon_lol

Wayne
Too funny DocWayne!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
doctorwayne Wrote:The Grand Valley work gang, taking advantage of the latest mechanised methods, make short work of their site at South Cayuga:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos154.jpg] Wayne

The handle of that thing must have been treated with GERN Flux, it's clearly 3% lighter now.........or that's one LPB I do not want to pick a fight with !! Eek
Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!