calcuation of cost
building a bit at a time is not a option for the yard unless I had some place close by to pick up a pack or two at a time then it would be a go for shure ,but spending 30$ for gas to go to a hobby shop is a bit much for anything under 150$ at a time and ordering from manufactures most have a miniumal order and shipping amount . as for cutting the strips I don't have the temrepmet for doing that, too many rejects and too much time, the yard if built would have been entered in the NMRA meet this fall and there judges are nit pickers as far as scale size is. so its back to the farm sted.

jim
For strip and sheet styrene, no minimum and reasonable shipping I've been using is HOBBYLINC.com. I've found that they have most everything I need.

I had tried to get a 4'x8' sheet of 0.060" styrene for some structure building and bracing from a local plastics distributor, but they wanted a ten sheet minimum ... I laughed and told them the needed to rethink both their customer service philosophy and their marketing approach!

Its not easy to accept having no hobby shop closer than two hours away and no plastics house willing to sell a single sheet any closer than 3 1/2 hours away ... especially after having lived for so long in a large metropolitan area where I could get anything I needed in under 45 minutes ... round trip!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:For strip and sheet styrene, no minimum and reasonable shipping I've been using is HOBBYLINC.com. I've found that they have most everything I need.

I had tried to get a 4'x8' sheet of 0.060" styrene for some structure building and bracing from a local plastics distributor, but they wanted a ten sheet minimum ... I laughed and told them the needed to rethink both their customer service philosophy and their marketing approach!

Its not easy to accept having no hobby shop closer than two hours away and no plastics house willing to sell a single sheet any closer than 3 1/2 hours away ... especially after having lived for so long in a large metropolitan area where I could get anything I needed in under 45 minutes ... round trip!

Have you tried some place that make signs? Perhaps they have scraps to give or sell you? I haven't tried that approach yet, but I did pass by a sign place today when i was looking for a printing store...
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->