Possible Scale Switch
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Are there any british equivalents of RDCs or doodle bugs? I figure they have MUs, but i'm not sure you're looking to electrify Icon_lol

RDCs were run as multiple units (designed that way) but doodlebugs were never run like that as far as I know. They did haul the occasional extra passenger car or freightcar though.

Andrew
I think the points made in this thread is why I belong to a club. I don't really like N-scale, but I won't insult anyone else who does choose to model in the smaller scales like N or Z. It just isn't for me. I also realized a long time ago that I can't do a lot of mainline railroading in HO scale in a small to medium sized space. Therefore, my home layout will be an isl, but I can run long trains at many modular club set ups. Model railroading is all about compromise. My favorite layout is the Tehachapi layout built by the La Mesa club at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum, but even that layout as big as it is is a compromise. It is only 1/3 the size of the real Tehachapi in scale. Basically the club made one hill for each three on the prototype. On a small layout in HO, you will have room for a small local freight.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I think the points made in this thread is why I belong to a club. I don't really like N-scale, but I won't insult anyone else who does choose to model in the smaller scales like N or Z. It just isn't for me. I also realized a long time ago that I can't do a lot of mainline railroading in HO scale in a small to medium sized space. Therefore, my home layout will be an isl, but I can run long trains at many modular club set ups. Model railroading is all about compromise. My favorite layout is the Tehachapi layout built by the La Mesa club at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum, but even that layout as big as it is is a compromise. It is only 1/3 the size of the real Tehachapi in scale. Basically the club made one hill for each three on the prototype. On a small layout in HO, you will have room for a small local freight.

Yes, all good points. I realize you mention that you can't model much in the way of mainline railroad, but there is quite a trend in "micro" HO layouts, i.e. where you develop a section of a layout and also shelf switching layouts. I'm working on a 1x4' switching layout at the moment and -- to my surprise -- am actually enjoying it! (I normally enjoy "tail-chaser" layouts more.)
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
While my primary interest is still HO ( 2' X 12' ) times two....

I also model N ( 2' X 4' )....

and On30 ( 18" X 4' ) ....

I've been a club member, and had a "home layout", but have come to really appreciate the benefits of "modular", especially when the HO modular is set up at Trainfest, and I can run 70' long trains with multiple locos, and it still looks good.
Outside the "trains", I also model in 1:555, 1:700, 1:350, 1:144, 1:72, 1:64, and more,.........as long as "fingers" and "eyes" will allow.
Big Grin I guess I can go through multiple scale switches in one day. :o Cheers Cheers
Eek Oh No!! :oops: it's "Model Schizophrenia" Icon_twisted Icon_twisted
Schizoscalia.... and they're coming to take me away, ha ha, ho ho, hee hee.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Pete,
I model in Z,N,HO/n30,On30,and 1:32.

I have a Z layout,2 N scale layouts (3 actually but its been years since I've seen the 3rd one),we are building a modular On30 layout,& I am part of a "garden" group that is either battery or live steam. :mrgreen:

We currently do not have a TTRAK layout but that should change once we have the On30 layout up and running.

About that 3rd N scale layout ,you know what they say about horizontal surfaces, Eek There is so much "stuff" stacked on top of it you can't even tell there is a layout there. Sad
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
RobertInOntario Wrote:
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I think the points made in this thread is why I belong to a club. I don't really like N-scale, but I won't insult anyone else who does choose to model in the smaller scales like N or Z. It just isn't for me. I also realized a long time ago that I can't do a lot of mainline railroading in HO scale in a small to medium sized space. Therefore, my home layout will be an isl, but I can run long trains at many modular club set ups. Model railroading is all about compromise. My favorite layout is the Tehachapi layout built by the La Mesa club at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum, but even that layout as big as it is is a compromise. It is only 1/3 the size of the real Tehachapi in scale. Basically the club made one hill for each three on the prototype. On a small layout in HO, you will have room for a small local freight.

Yes, all good points. I realize you mention that you can't model much in the way of mainline railroad, but there is quite a trend in "micro" HO layouts, i.e. where you develop a section of a layout and also shelf switching layouts. I'm working on a 1x4' switching layout at the moment and -- to my surprise -- am actually enjoying it! (I normally enjoy "tail-chaser" layouts more.)

I have built 1x4' HO switching layouts using snap track and snap switches with 0-6-0Ts and MDC 36' boxcars and reefers...Not bad,but,I prefer a minimum of 6' for HO switching layouts.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I was just thinking, it wouldn't hurt to buy a small batch of N-scale track and one loco plus some coaches, and just tinker with it. That would be harmless enough right -- or maybe it would be the thin edge of a scale change!

I say this tongue-in-cheek. My Dad was a big model railway fan (sadly, he died in 1999). He had 2-3 HO layouts but also dabbled in other scales. His main focus was HO but he would buy up all sorts of items in other scales. He'd go around to garage sales and buy lots of O-scale stuff and he also bought a few N-scale and even TT-scale** items!

Unfortunately, I sold or traded in all of his MRR stuff that was in other scales around 2005 Wallbang At least, I wish I had kept his N and TT stuff. But maybe it's not so bizarre or unusual to at least dabble in other scales?

Sorry, maybe I should start a new thread on this topic?

Rob

**I consider TT to be the ideal scale -- my Dad did too. For some strange reason, it never really took off in North America while there is a "moderate" TT following in the UK. I think it's pretty big, however, in Europe (especially Germany). It's ideal because it's a nice compromise between N and HO. N is (arguably) too small and finicky while TT is still large enough to be a good alternative to HO.
One could start a sort of retro layout by buying British Tri-ang TT scale from eBay and joining the UK's "3mm Society" for comradery and support. (N scale is 2mm to 1 foot; HO is 3.5mm to the foot; and TT is 3mm to the foot.)
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Brakie Wrote:I have built 1x4' HO switching layouts using snap track and snap switches with 0-6-0Ts and MDC 36' boxcars and reefers...Not bad,but,I prefer a minimum of 6' for HO switching layouts.

My isl will be a 7 foot by 9 foot "L" 2 feet deep. The 7 foot side will be mostly yard, and the 9 foot side will be industrial switching in the streets of Vernon. An area similar to what Reinhard is currently modeling on his thread titled "Freelance 2011" in the Layouts forum.
Brakie Wrote:I have built 1x4' HO switching layouts using snap track and snap switches with 0-6-0Ts and MDC 36' boxcars and reefers...Not bad,but,I prefer a minimum of 6' for HO switching layouts.

I wouldn't mind making a 2x6' HO switching layout one day. That would be quite manageable and easy to store or even small enough to leave out permanently. If I did this, I'd probably have to scrap (and salvage parts from) one of my existing layouts, i.e. my 4x6'.
Rob