Dansbury Depot
A compromise has bin met,The Main center portion of the Depot will be saved the 2 smaller end portions will be demolished. The structure will be temporarily moved into the adjoining parking lot before it finds it's permanent location in a nearby park ( across the tracks ) where it will be restored. The fire damaged section was torn down and the north side is being readied for removal.    

From this point north, the rest of the building will be razed.    

I left out this pic, but, I should have mentioned that there are 2 signal bridges that are still standing just north of the Depot.    
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
The depot was moved to it's temporary home in a parking lot across the tracks from original location. The move was made on Friday morning with out a hitch. I'll be heading up that was this afternoon to get some more pics( if the rain holds out ). Here's a link to the local papers story on the event.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101016/NEWS/10160303">http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.d ... S/10160303</a><!-- m -->
It was here.....    
Now it's here....    

She now sits on a temporary platform while a new foundation is built.    
At 120 tons she's a big girl.
In the next two shots you can see the fire damaged spot. it will be rebuilt back to the original specs.    

And just for good measure at shot of the inside.    
Thats Sad and Happy all at once....

At least they are trying to save some of it but it sure is a shame they had to chainsaw it like that....

So have you started on you model of the depot yet?
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
I think its fascinating that engineers can pick up an entire structure like that and move it. Amazing work. At the same time, good to see some RR history being preserved, even if its only part of the original structure.
I'm with you, Tetters. Absolutely amazing!

There is an an older part of Houston where the lots are small and the smallish houses are "built up on blocks". As the old folks passed away, the yuppies would buy the houses and remodel them. Some of them wanted more floor space, but that was difficult because of the small lots. So they would make the one story homes into two stories. But instead of tearing off the roof and going up, they would cut all the plumbing loose underneath, then raise the entire thing up and build a first floor underneath! I always thought that to be equally amazing.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Sorry goat. I wont be modeling this structure at this time, well maybe not an exact replica. That's a future project.It would be hard to explain on a freight only railroad.
e-paw Wrote:Sorry goat. I wont be modeling this structure at this time, well maybe not an exact replica. That's a future project.It would be hard to explain on a freight only railroad.

Unless you modeled it "abandoned".
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
tetters Wrote:I think its fascinating that engineers can pick up an entire structure like that and move it. Amazing work. At the same time, good to see some RR history being preserved, even if its only part of the original structure.

The little station from Todmorden Mills that's now at the Toronto Roundhouse was sawed in half to move it to its new home. When I was there last summer, they had tarps over it and you could see where it was cut...

[albumimg]1191[/albumimg]

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:At least they are trying to save some of it but it sure is a shame they had to chainsaw it like that....

I think that they cut away the fire-damaged section. So it's a shame that some idiot torched it in the first place... Wallbang

Andrew
This is the former railway station in Grimsby, Ontario:
[Image: CNR6060westboundatGrimsby-mid-70s.jpg]

In 1979 it was converted to a restaurant/roadhouse, but continued to serve as a station for both VIA and Amtrak trains:
[Image: CN9639atGrimsby-mid-80s.jpg]

In 1994, it was totally destroyed by fire, and was replaced by a modern steel and glass shelter-type station, which is still in use.

Sitting off behind it, and away from the tracks, is the original Great Western station, which has served over the years in various capacities. It's currently a pottery, and the owners are slowly restoring it.
[Image: GreatWesternstationGrimsby031.jpg]

[Image: GreatWesternstationGrimsby029.jpg]

[Image: GreatWesternstationGrimsby028-1.jpg]

[Image: GreatWesternstationGrimsby030.jpg]

This large structure was built in 1855, and moved to its present location in 1900. Eek

Wayne
I think the visitor center in Williams Arizona was originally the freight depot, but originally on the other side of the Santa Fe mainline. If I recall, it was moved to the other side of the tracks many decades ago. I am pretty sure it is a masonry building, so I don't know what "moving" such a building meant back then. Perhaps it was moved brick by brick. I many be up that way this weekend, and will try to get photos and more info.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Just what America really needs...less history and more empty "multi-use" commercial buildings built by developers "on spec".