Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge
ocalicreek Wrote:I know yall do things bigger in Texas, as a rule, but that is one big expanse of concrete! That, to me, is the most striking thing so far. So much we do is so selectively compressed that it seems a bit caricaturish at times. But this is large-as-life and so very realistic, in the truest sense of the word. Outstanding. Gotta try some of that quick dry stuff.

Thanks Galen. One of the advantages of a large layout is the room for "big stuff." Big buildings and long bridges and long spaces. A bridge that is over 3 feet long like this one would overwhelm a lot of layouts. Now, as wonderful as the big spaces sound, I am also discovering that a large layout is going to consume alot of time. With 5 total rail bridges on the layout, and with this one taking a month plus to build, that would be close to seven months on just bridges. Of course, not all the bridges will be totally scratchbuilt likethis one. I'll make use of the Central Valley through-girder bridges for a couple of them, should go quicker!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote: ... and I am also gaining some confidence that my modeling skills are okay. ... So much to learn!
I am relatively new to Big Blue (or "The Gauge" as the veterans here call it) and this "Challenge" has forced me to push myself as well. But I must say that the skills that are exhibited here on this Forum are absolutely remarkable! That was almost an intimidating factor to me as a new guy ... but the camaraderie that was evident here made it easy to become involved.

Sumpter250 Wrote: That said, The "summer challenge" has done well in getting so many of us to start ... some really great modeling efforts.......you won't get this from a magazine.

If truer words were ever spoken, it was a long, long time ago!

Gary S Wrote: These "Big Blue Challenges" are awesome, being able to share in other's projects is such a great experience!

That is oh, so true as well, and it's part and parcel of why the quality of the model work here is so high ... we all are all constantly learning from each other, and improving our own individual skills, which in turn, raises the overall skill level of the group as a whole!

Sumpter250 Wrote: To the rest of us who might think we do well, be advised folks, the bar has been raised.

AMEN!

Long Live BIG BLUE at The-GAUGE!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Gary,
Your excellent modeling skills, & all the great photos, make this one of the best step-by-step projects I've ever seen! Thumbsup

A lot of inspiration here for us mere mortals... Worship

btw...I may have missed this somewhere in your thread, but I was wondering when the prorotype was built?
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
Drew, I don't know when the actual bridge was built. The bayou project which left the original footings high and dry was done in the late 1990's, so I know the bridge was there then. I did some research on the net, but found nothing about this particular bridge. I'm using it on my late 1970's layout, so as far as I am concerned, the bridge was built in the early 1970s! 357

I'm still at work right now, trying to finish up my PPP for Tuesday. You know how those things go, can't ever finish one, always some way to enhance them, just one more fancy doohickie or graphic to emphasize a point.

Will be spending all weekend on the bridge though! Can't wait!
Gary S Wrote:Drew, I don't know when the actual bridge was built. The bayou project which left the original footings high and dry was done in the late 1990's, so I know the bridge was there then. I did some research on the net, but found nothing about this particular bridge. I'm using it on my late 1970's layout, so as far as I am concerned, the bridge was built in the early 1970s! 357 …!

I like your philosophy!
I was thinking too, that it would look right in any era of the last 50 years or so…
I just like the combination of the concrete bridge, with the steel pipes for support…it’s unusual, at least from a model RR standpoint…you’ve got a truly unique model there!

Gary S Wrote:…I'm still at work right now, trying to finish up my PPP for Tuesday. You know how those things go, can't ever finish one, always some way to enhance them, just one more fancy doohickie or graphic to empasize a point….

Awww…don’t remind me…I retired from the fed back in Jan, 09...I’m still recovering from “post-ppp-stress- disorder”! 35 Eek 219 Icon_lol
-Drew-
Great work Gary! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
This is one time at least where size really does matter Goldth Wink
I think you have captured the prototype beautifully Thumbsup
Steve
Steve, thanks for the comments and for stopping by my bridge thread! Smile

And coming from such an accomplished builder as yourself, I am humbled by your kind remarks, as it is still my opinion that the building in the photo below is the most real looking building ever:

For those who may not know, Steve built the model... yeah... that is a model, not the real thing!
Drew Wrote:I just like the combination of the concrete bridge, with the steel pipes for support…it’s unusual, at least from a model RR standpoint…you’ve got a truly unique model there!

I agree. The reasons I chose to model it is that it is close to where I work so easy to get photos and measurements, plus as you mention, it is somewhat unique with the steel bents, concrete bridge sections, and the suspended footers. Also, simply because it is big!

Drew Wrote:I’m still recovering from “post-ppp-stress- disorder”!

Sorry about that! 357

I didn't get finished tonight, but at 9:00pm, and being close to finished, I figure I'll wrap it up on Monday. I'm going to try to not even think about it this weekend.... nothing but bridge for me!
Oh... after I got home around 9:45pm, I did mix some more EasySand 20 and put another layer on the "water". I'm slowly building it up to where it needs to be, will probably accomplish that early tomorrow and then it'll be sanding it smooth. Maybe get the water painted and varnished before the weekend is over! I'll be 92% complete after that, then a bit of GERN powdered flux, it'll be 95% complete! Oh yeah!

I said it earlier, but I'll say it again... love that EasySand 20! So far, anyway!
:? ... PPP? ... :?: :?
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:PPP?

"Power-Point-Presentation" - It's software that's designed for making presentations at office/business meetings...it involves a lap-top, a projection screen, doughnuts, coffee, a room full of people wiping sleep from their eyes, & the ability to look like you're paying attention, when you're actually daydreaming about...oh I don't know... your layout...naked women...sitting on the beach...(not necessarily in that order Big Grin )
It's lind of a modern up-date to the old carrosel slide projectors...ok...that's enough...my left eye is starting to twitch... Eek Icon_lol
-Drew-
biL, Drew is correct. PowerPoint is some really nice software that is used for slide show presentations. It is simple to add photographs, clipart, graphics, and all manner of bells and whistles along with the text and ideas of the subject. We use it alot, both in the classroom and for presentations to other organizations. The only problem is that it is very easy to get sidetracked by all the bells and whistles, and before you know it, you're spending more time on all the graphics and "pretties" and neglecting the meat of the presentation. Now, its best use is really as a "set of notes" projected on a screen that keeps the presenter on track and on topic, and keeps you from forgetting anything.

BTW, Drew: Congrats on your retirement! Hope you are having fun and enjoying life! Smile

NOW BACK TO THE BRIDGE!

Put some more EasySand down this morning. Used a level to carefully mark the water height on the bayou banks, then taped it to protect the paint on the concrete slabs. Floated on the mud, am now waiting for it to dry. Next will be some sanding and smoothing, filling in air bubbles, and getting it ready for paint.

While it is drying, I will head over to Micheal's.... after Andrew spoke of the paint markers and Kevin mentioned all the stuff he found there, I'm going to look around too. I do need more craft paint and some clear gloss finish to go over the water. Also will look for some fake fur and such.

Here's a pic of this morning's accomplishments:

Attached Files Image(s)

Very nice Gary!

Not only have you done an excellent job on the bridge itself, you’ve also done a VERY convincing job on modeling a concrete-lined spillway…fairly common in urban waterways where flood control is a major concern, but again, something that isn’t seen that much on a model RR…you’ve done it & done it well! Thumbsup
It’s gonna make a terrific finished scene!

Gary S Wrote:…BTW, Drew: Congrats on your retirement! Hope you are having fun and enjoying life!…

Man, it’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me! (well, second best…in case my wife is reading this… Big Grin )

This is my full-time gig now…

[Image: 41371_100000779904949_710_n.jpg]

I’m havin’ the time of my life! Big Grin
-Drew-
Looks like you're having FUN there, Drew! Very cool! Thumbsup

Is that Hendrix I see on the wall behind you? I assume you are rock 'n roll and rhythm and blues?

Okay, some progress. Lots of sanding to get the water smooth, cut rectangular holes for the footings of bents 4 and 5, and got the drain pipes cut in.

First, the real thing:

and some of the work:

Not making as much progress as I expected, but hey, it is getting there.
Just to be triple-sure I am following you - the stuff in the riverbed is the Easysand-20? That is a wonderfully smooth and solid surface. I am needing a concrete "floor" for my enginehouse, and I am thinking of pouring it from a plaster product rather than use styrene.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->