Steam Pics
Hey guys. I was just wondering if you could help me out with a few things:

Thing 1: Pictures of 2-6-0 Moguls (it can be any road, any number, as long as it is Standard Gauge)
Thing 2: Pictures of 2-8-0 Consolidations (same things apply here)
Thing 3: Pictures of 0-4-0/0-6-0 steam switchers (same things apply here)
Thing 4: Pictures of 2-6-2 Praries(same things apply here)

I would prefer for them to be from an era in the early 1940's(around 1941-1943 to be more specific)

Any help would be much appreciated.
I smell a story here...why the interest in these particular steam classifications? Are you building a fleet or looking to detail existing models?

It may seem obvious, but spend a little time here to see what you can find:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.steamlocomotive.com/">http://www.steamlocomotive.com/</a><!-- m -->

There's also great information about various manufacturers of model steam locomotives.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Quote:I smell a story here...
There isn't really a store, unless having a fascination with smaller steam power.

Quote:why the interest in these particular steam classifications?

2-8-0s,2-6-0s, 0-6-0s and a 2-6-2 have danced accross the East Broad Top's locomotive roster, and they all came prior to the Mikados. However, a shortline like I am modeling would not necessarily be able to afford those steam monstrosities like Mikes, Decapods, Mountains, or anything larger than the Mikado.

Quote:Are you building a fleet or looking to detail existing models?
I have been working on building a fleet for my N scale Apple Peak Railroad & Coal Co., based loosely on the EBT and an old Maine 2-footer crosses the tracks too.
If you want small, standard gauge locos, here's one shot of the Warrenton's ( columbia ) 2-4-2:

and, a B&O C16a 0-4-0 switcher, with tender. There were four C16 class switchers ( dockside ) two, #96, and #99 had the saddle tanks removed and tenders added ( C16a ). This is one of them:

The C16a was once available in N scale.....Bachmann, I think.
Wasn't the best runner ever, but maybe with a little tinkering.....
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Quote:I have been working on building a fleet for my N scale Apple Peak Railroad & Coal Co., based loosely on the EBT and an old Maine 2-footer crosses the tracks too.

See, there is a story behind the interest! And mentioning scale is very important to start with in discussions around here, especially outside a scale-specific thread or forum.

Seems like N scale steam has been on the rise lately. I'm in HO so I haven't really kept up with it much.

Will you actually model a 2' connection? I've heard of Nn3 using Z scale mechanisms, but I've always considered those guys extremely talented, or plain nuts, or both.

Galen
Quote:Will you actually model a 2' connection?
I won't actually be modeling a connection with one of the 2-footers. It will be modeled where the line tore up the track where they were building through to avoid building a diamond with an in-operative line.

Quote:I've heard of Nn3 using Z scale mechanisms, but I've always considered those guys extremely talented, or plain nuts, or both.
I have to Eek They are out of their minds :o
Small steamers are awesome. I have a pic of a Toledo Lake Erie & western 0-4-0 I think, will post it.
Cheers

I agree that the small steamers are great. I also seem to have a soft spot for 6-drivered steamers, since my active roster consists of an 0-6-0, two 4-6-0s and a 4-6-2. My other (non active) units include a 2-6-2, and "non 6-drivered" but still small(er) 2-8-0 and an 0-4-0T. My only big steam is a 2-10-2. I need to add some 2-6-0s like Mr Nutbar and doctorwayne have in their rosters. Wink Big Grin

Although I mainly model CNR, I do like the CPR D-class ten-wheelers (4-6-0) that used to operate out of my hometown. Thumbsup

Andrew
Hello---here's a couple of shots taken on Doctor Wayne's EG&E of Canadian National's E10 class mogul (2-6-0) #81---the locomotive is a Pacific Fast Mail brass model

[Image: 260406003.jpg]

[Image: 260406066.jpg]
RRManiac Wrote:
Quote:I've heard of Nn3 using Z scale mechanisms, but I've always considered those guys extremely talented, or plain nuts, or both.
I have too Eek They are out of their minds :o

I still would like to build the Nn3 version on the shipyard's 3' gauge outside frame 2-4-4-2, to display on my one Ntrak module. The Nn3 rails are already in place around the drydock.

" They are out of their minds "

OK, yes, 7500+ individual shingles on one building..........I guess I am sufficiently "out of my mind" to try the Nn3 2-4-4-2 .
( even powered ).
:?: 35 :?: Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Quote:OK, yes, 7500+ individual shingles on one building..........I guess I am sufficiently "out of my mind" to try the Nn3 2-4-4-2 .( even powered ).

I'll be here to cheer you on! I say go for it! (Once your fingers heal after all that shingle slinging, of course).

I should also add my own small steam project to the list of inspiration:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=414">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=414</a><!-- l -->

I haven't updated that thread since January 2009, but I have been working on the project since then...recently, in fact.

More recent updates are to be found here (but you have to join):

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yardbirdtrains">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yardbirdtrains</a><!-- m -->

Galen
Well guys, I have decided to use a few of the engines that Sumpter250 posted up, more specifically, the 2-4-2 Columbian, to switch the Apple Peak Yard, and perhaps have it just dominate the roster.

I am expanding what I'm looking for to the following:
4-4-0s
2-6-0s
4-6-0s
2-8-0s
0-4-0Ts
0-6-0s
2-6-2s
0-4-2s

I have a fascination with old steam, and those are my absolute favorites. I am also considering using a gas motor like the EBT's M-1 to haul commuter traffic, rather than run a passenger train. I had considered a baggage-express car, three combines, four coaches, and a parlor car, but now I think I may replace it all with a doodlebug. The railroads cost-cut using that technique, so why can't I? Big Grin I'll be sure to give you guys some updates on what all I find, and what I intend to use.
Although no locomotives have yet been purchased, the Apple Peak Railroad & Coal Co. would like to announce that a roster has been developed and we will soon take actions to purchase the locomotives.

The roster follows:
#1 - 2-4-2 Columbian
#2 - 2-4-2 Columbian
#3 - 0-4-0T switcher based on the B&O's C16a class
#4 - 2-8-0 Consolidation
#5 - 2-6-2 Prairie
#6 - 0-4-0T switcher based on the B&O's C16a class
#7 - 2-6-0 Mogul
#8 - 2-6-0 Mogul
#9 - 4-4-0 American
Following is a few pictures of the locomotives that the Apple Peak RR & Coal Co. is intending to roster. We will have a few different versions to pick from with a few of the locomotives, so if you like a particular one, please speak now or forever hold your piece.

2-4-2 Columbian #s 1 and 2
[Image: coyote-Columbiantypelocomotive-.jpg]

0-4-0T Switchers - B&O C16a - #3 and #6
[Image: BOC16a.jpg]

2-8-0 Consolidation #4
[Image: 2-8-0Consolidation5.jpg]
[Image: 2-8-0Consolidation4.jpg]
[Image: 2-8-0Consolidation3.jpg]
[Image: 2-8-0Consolidation2.jpg]
[Image: 2-8-0Consolidation.jpg]

2-6-2 Prairie #5
[Image: EBT2-6-2Prairie11.jpg]