Weehawken Water Tower
This would be a great project for anyone modeling a Civil war or turn of the century (1900's) urban layout. This Tower was completed in 1883 to supply the town of weehawken NJ with drinking water. By 1904 better pumps came along and the valves to the tank were shut off for good. The building was used to house an office for the water CO. for many years After, so it was saved from demolition. There was a large reservoir and boiler house next to the tower, both were lost to a shopping center.At that time the tower was almost torn down, but the cost of removing the tower was too high, so the stores were built around it. It now belongs to a Historical society that will open it to the public to display there artifacts. The electrical contractor that I work for will be refitting it with lights, power, heat, etc. so I get a unique look into it.

She stands 175 feet tall and is 35 feet square at the base. The top is 300 feet above see level, and houses a 165,000 Gallon water tank ( it was still 2/3 full in 2000 ).    

This is the inside of the main tank (165,000 gallon)    

This is the ground floor. at one time it held two steam powered pumps to fill the upper tank.

Attached Files Image(s)

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
COOL!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
The main tank is accessed from the stair tower, the boxed off corner of the building. it's quite impressive to stand inside it.    

The second floor holds the overflow tank, we will be installing lights that shine out of the open top of the tank.    

here's the view from the top of the tank looking south west at lower Manhattan.    

I was very impressed at the quality of the original construction of the building. All the walls are still straight, square, plumb, and level, even after all this time.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
What an amazing structure. And what a cool job to be working on. E-Paw, this sure beats working on the underground for a new building going up. Have fun!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times