Easy Removable Loads
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Nice loads(Any one remember Eoads?).

Yup. Icon_lol That's one of the reasons I started this thread... Wink

doctorwayne Wrote:Sorry for sorta overwhelming your thread, Andrew, but I didn't want to appear snooty by starting another one on exactly the same topic.

Not a problem! That's why I said:

MasonJar Wrote:Feel free to add your own ideas!

Andrew
doctorwayne Wrote:Not all flatcars used for a shipment are loaded, either. The one shown below is acting as an idler car for a load of over-length poles in the accompanying gondola:
[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007third-15.jpg]

Hi Wayne,

are you sure that such a load will be correct in this of-center position?

All other pictures show very excellent ideas and a realization by highest craftsmanship!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
doctorwayne Wrote: I've since learned that it's very similar in appearance to a product called "Black Beauty", which is a sandblasting medium.

Hmmmm. Jenna and I collected this stuff from along the rails in this little three track yard in the late '80's. As there were often those modern "Airslide" hoppers there for delivery up the line toward Bethlehem and Allentown, it is quite possible that is was some sort of blasting medium. It is black, hard, has shiny "facets" and looks for the world like miniature coal. I have not given it the magnet test so I'm not sure about that.

But it does make a convincing coal load! [I shaped some blocks of Balsa I had laying around to fit into hoppers, painted the balsa black, and when dry, I painted the top with straight Elmer's and pushed them into a tray full of this collected shiny black stuff ... they look good.] When I unpack the stuff that has been repacked since that photo that I had posted for a few minutes, I'll photograph them and post the photos.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Bernhard, good to hear from you. Goldth

The pole load was built following an article in the February 1992 issue of Mainline Modeler, by Bill Darnaby. There's an accompanying table showing AAR loading instructions and specifications, including those for an overhanging load. You're correct in stating that most loads should be placed so that the weight is centered about the car's wheelbase, but I suspect the pole load nowhere near approaches the car's 70 ton capacity. The excess weight at one end would be negligible. The only reference in the table to overly-long loads is that they be supported on an 8"x8" timber, placed at the end of the carrying car where the load overhangs - this is to ensure that the load does not rest at all on the idler flat car. I'd guess that heavier over-length loads, or longer over-length loads would need to be centered in the supporting car, with an idler at both ends.

While looking for that article, I found another interesting one on open-car loads, in the June 1995 issue of RMC. While there's nothing on extra long loads, there's plenty of interesting stuff (with model photos) and all braced/blocked following information gleaned from the 1950 edition of the AAR's "Rules Governing the Loading of Commodities on Open Top Cars".
(And I was right about my pipeloads - they're stacked too high.) 35 35

Wayne
Here's another that does not fall into the "removable" category as it was built right onto the flatcar and is securely (I hope) glued down.

I believe it is a flux turbine destined for GERN HQ. Wink
[albumimg]2844[/albumimg]

I have to letter the car (all my letters "in stock" are too big for the flat) and I am looking for a way to make a convincing GERN propaganda banner to string on the side of the car. Suggestions??

Andrew
The load and its bracing look great, Andrew. Thumbsup Thumbsup You could make an ad banner using .010" sheet styrene and a couple of styrene stakes. Make the stakes look like wood, and paint the sign in whatever colour you like, then use decals or dry transfers for the lettering. Something like "Another Flux Turbine for GERN from Dominion Turbine of Canada". Substitute your own turbine company's name, and make it larger than the GERN name. Make a sign for both sides of the car, too. Another option would be to compose the sign/banner on your computer, then simply print out a couple of copies. The signs on the crane parts were done this way, and read "Overhead Electric Crane - Built By Dominion Bridge & Tank". The lettering is probably finer than could be done using alphabet sets.

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:The load and its bracing look great, Andrew. Thumbsup Thumbsup You could make an ad banner using .010" sheet styrene and a couple of styrene stakes. Make the stakes look like wood, and paint the sign in whatever colour you like, then use decals or dry transfers for the lettering. Something like "Another Flux Turbine for GERN from Dominion Turbine of Canada". Substitute your own turbine company's name, and make it larger than the GERN name. Make a sign for both sides of the car, too. Another option would be to compose the sign/banner on your computer, then simply print out a couple of copies. The signs on the crane parts were done this way, and read "Overhead Electric Crane - Built By Dominion Bridge & Tank". The lettering is probably finer than could be done using alphabet sets.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne... And your suggestion made me 35 since it was right in front of me. The reason the flat car needs relettering is because its a Great Northern MOW car - complete with wood stakes, and low wood sides that would be perfect to tack a banner too. I had discarded the "extras' when I decided it would become a revenue car... Now I need to find them...! Icon_lol

Andrew