Easy Coal Load
Here is the coal load I had intended to include in my Easy Removable Loads but didn't... 35

Since I was unable to find the original pictures, I built another coal load for my "vintage" AM hopper.

Starting with a chunk of foam cut to fit:
[albumimg]2863[/albumimg]

Ensure fit, and mark top of car:
[albumimg]2864[/albumimg]

Carve to an appropriate shape:
[albumimg]2865[/albumimg]

Cover with a thick coat of black craft paint and sprinkle with coal (in this case - fine aquarium gravel from the dollar store)
[albumimg]2866[/albumimg]

Pile it up - the bottom layer will stick to the craft paint:
[albumimg]2867[/albumimg]

Secure the rest with some 50-50 water and matte medium:
[albumimg]2868[/albumimg]

Let dry, remove any stray bit of coal, and press into hopper. Can be removed by sliding a thin blade down one end and prying up.
[albumimg]2869[/albumimg]

Total time (excluding drying): About 5 minutes

Andrew
Very cool, nice and easy, Quick also. a plus when you have to make a bunch of them. Cheers
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
looks great!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thanks guys!

Yes, they are quick to make. If you had to equip a unit train, I would guess you could probably do 4 in about 10-12 minutes, thereby saving even more time.

Andrew
I like your loads Andrew. I think modelers miss out by not considering fish gravel for modeling purposes.

I don't know how many folks here read Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine, but in one of the recent issues there was an article on making easily removable open car loads by Charlie Comstock, I think. He embeds a steel flat washer just below the top surface of the load, and then it is easily removed by a magnet.
Hi Russ,

Thanks! I did read the last few MRH, but forgot about that article. Mine are a pretty tight fit, so I am not sure they could be lifted out... more like prying! But if they were cut down a little, that modification would be easy.

Andrew
SWEET!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Really good idea and very fast to realize. Thanks!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I don't know how many folks here read Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine, but in one of the recent issues there was an article on making easily removable open car loads by Charlie Comstock, I think. He embeds a steel flat washer just below the top surface of the load, and then it is easily removed by a magnet.

That's precisely what I've had in mind for my hoppers. If you have a bunch of different sized hoppers (who doesn't..??) just scribble the car # on the underside so it goes back where it belongs.
Gus (LC&P).
works well for me Thumbsup . just a few comments on coal loads(worked in the coal mines for a time) the loads will depend on your era , for moderen loads its called steam coal size is dust to 2 to 3 inches depending on the mine (some might be a tad smaller), from about the 70's back loads mixed most were steam coal some lump, 50's&60's were less steam more lump 6 to 8 inch and nuget or some times called stoker inch and a half to two inches coated with oil to keep dust down , mine run was dust to biggest chunck that the mine produced earlier the use of mechanical miners wasn't in commen use so under -cutting and shooting it down was common (befdore that it was shooting on the solid) so mine run had larger chunks, also slack coal was shipped then as a separate load , some roads used it in locos(wootten fire box) as it was the cheepest form of coal then. also as to cars carrying coal the hopper were not the only cars used a lot of coal was shipped in drop bottom gons and regular gons.
as the loads ran down the track they tended to vibrate down to more even looking piles in cars. also size is listed as say 0/8 or 0/6 means dust to 6 or 8 inch chunks.
hope this info is usefull Smile
Thanks Masion jar for the tutorial. I used your Idea and it worked well. the only change that I did was I used real anthracite for coal and a washer under it so It could be removed with a magnet. Here are a few pics.    

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
You are most welcome... Those look great, and the ability to remove them makes for more possibilities for operation. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Andrew
Nice tutorial Andrew. I do something similar with black foam core board as the base. The washer idea is great and demonstrates very well e-paw!! My current loads are pretty much stuck in the hopper (I built them for a run-through train and hadn't planned to make them more operational) but I think any future hopper loads will have the washer for that handy way of removing them.

Ralph
A friend made some loads for me using the egg-crate style foam packing. This gives some small piles in the load.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.