Scratchbuild - Another Bridge Project
Okay, question for everyone:

To model the ballast overflow onto the walkways, do I just use the same "wetting agent and thinned glue" technique like normal? Any concerns with the alcohol wetting agent or glue messing up the painted walkways?

Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary, it might be a good idea to test the alcohol on that paint - alcohol is an effective stripper for many water-based paints.

Wayne
DocWayne, I was hoping you would chime in. In the event that the alcohol is not compatible with the paint, then for the wetting agent, maybe just water with dish soap?

Any other thoughts? Maybe a couple coats of spray-on sealer or matte finish before the ballasting?
I never use alcohol for ballasting (don't like the smell of alcohol unless it's drinkin' alcohol) Wink and have had good luck with a few drops of dish detergent to create "wet" water. The problem with adding a clear coat is that it could also be vulnerable to the alcohol, especially if it hasn't had time to fully cure (usually 24 hours).

Wayne
Gary S Wrote:
jim currie Wrote:didn't wade through all the photos

I suppose I am guilty of posting a "flood" of photos, causing readers the necessity of pulling up their pants legs as they cross the murky depths of my build threads. :oops:

Interesting. This is a possibility on this bridge too. Could a derailed car damage a wooden bridge to the point it would have to be rebuilt?

Gary that wasn't meant as a derogatory statement I just am stuck on dialup with a broken accelerator right now i'm zipping along at a whopping 48kbps :cry:

the one in colorado happened in 1968(if memory serves me :? ) it was a branch line to several mines , most were closed down the last one on the branch was the monark mine still opperating at the time, a cut of empty gons were being pushed up the line somthing caused the lead gon to derail just before the trestle, caboose (no rear brakeman to watch )was next to the loco they dident know it was off till they seen a gon flip up on end the lead truck went through the deck and loco kept pushing till it fliped the gon up ripping most of the deck and the stringers off hence the quick repair.
jim
jim currie Wrote:Gary that wasen't ment as a derogatory statment i just am stuck on dialup with a broken accelerator right now i'm zipping along at a whopping 48kbps :cry:

No problem, Jim. I knew there were some of us still on dial-up, was trying to remember if you were one of them. But I did think my reply was kind of witty.... just having some fun. 357

I did think it commendable that you had read the text. I think many of us can be guilty of looking at the photos but not really reading what is written.

jim currie Wrote:the one in colorado happened in 1968(if memory serves me :? ) it was a branch line to several mines , most were closed down the last one on the branch was the monark mine still opperating at the time, a cut of empty gons were being pushed up the line somthing caused the lead gon to derail just before the trestle, caboose (no rear brakeman to watch )was next to the loco they dident know it was off till they seen a gon flip up on end the lead truck went through the deck and loco kept pushing till it fliped the gon up ripping most of the deck and the stringers off hence the quick repair.
jim

Seems logical that a cut being pushed could do more damage than one being dragged. Makes sense to me. Thanks for that info! Smile
Bents. Still need NBW castings on most of them. The white styrene strip is for reinforcement on the shorter bents. The strips will be buried in the layout.

Sweet job Gary. Thanks for the razor saw tip for making wood grain styrene. Thumbsup
Thanks Tetters. Smile

Now I need some advice from everyone... Should I model the bridge with the spilled ballast like the prototype, or not have the spilled ballast? Would really appreciate some input on this. My first instinct is to do it without the spilled ballast, it is one of those things where a model may look better as it "should be" rather than "as it really is".

so what do you y'all think? Spilled or not spilled?

I was wanting to getthe ballast done tonight, so would really love to hear some opinions.

Is the spilled ballast one of those things where someone not familiar with the prototype bridge would be thinking "Man, he sure did a terrible job with that ballasting on the bridge."?
Gary ... I vote for "On," but notice that the "spill-over" is sporadic across the span
... not constant
... a little bit here,
a little bit there,
here a litlle,
there a little,
(not) everywhere a little,
Gary S., he had a bridge,
eenie-meenie, minie, moe!
Icon_lol

The world is not perfect ... (spoken by someone with OCD) ... but there might be a little neatness and order ... it's called "controlled chaos."
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Spill over....I was hoping you would do the spill over.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
No spill-over for me, thanks..... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
biL, thanks for the song! 88 and Gus, thanks for the votes. I decided to hold off on the ballasting til I get more input. There is a new thread with a poll, hopefully can get some more input over the next couple of days, and I'll do whatever The Gauge determines!

In the meantime, I got the NBW castings on the bents and on the bridge (on the bottom board that sandwiches the deck to the ballast retainer. About 220 total! Vicki helped me, so it went fairly quickly, plus with practice, got better at putting them in.
Gary S Wrote:I decided to hold off on the ballasting til I get more input. There is a new thread with a poll, hopefully can get some more input over the next couple of days, and I'll do whatever The Gauge determines!

Your poll will give you a "consensus" of opinion. You will have to live with the choice you make, with or without any determination by "The-Gauge", it's your layout, not "ours". In the end, do what you feel is best. Living according to what "other people think", never has, and never will be a good thing.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!