Why not add this bridge detail?
Thanks, Kevin, for jogging my memory! It wasn't in the news that I became aware of that fire, but rather as a result of wasting an evening watching YouTube Videos of railroad stuff and just clicking on one after another. Luckily, I had saved the links to a few of them.

In this one, they move #484 to rails beyond the fire-damaged trestle.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Gary S Wrote:Hmmmm.... guess we need DocWayne to weigh in on this one. Were there any railroad bridges like that one in 1832? Did the EG&E predate the Champlain and St. Lawrence Railroad?

The Erie Northshore's Maitland River bridge was built by Dominion Bridge & Tank, in 1902, and is a Pratt Truss, first used in 1844. Wink Goldth

Wayne
I'm still confused. So the bridge belongs to the Erie Northshore? And what about the 1832? - Some ironworker playing a joke with his cutting torch? 8-)
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary, the Erie Northshore is owned by the EG&E, but operated as an independent company. My bridge (and that of everyone else who owns a Central Valley truss bridge) has a built date of 1902.
The Pratt truss design was patented in 1844 and used for both wood and steel (iron) bridges. Here's some info (probably more than you'd care to read) on truss bridges.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. Seriously, the date on the bridge sure looks like 1832. I even saved the photo and enlarged it in PhotoDraw. Still looked like 1832! Anyway, mystery solved! Smile
AHA! :!:

So ... the general confusion on this thread, which has everyone talking in parallel about slightly different subjects, but all thinking they are conversing about the same thing and therefore misunderstanding each other (at least as it appears to me as I sit here trying to understand this discussion,) is all due to the date on doctorwayne's bridge, a Central Valley model of a steel Pratt Truss bridge, as actually being "1902" and not "1832" as was apparently misread early on.

Is that the story here ... or am I even more confused than anyone else? :?

EDIT: O.K. ... due to my terminally slow typing and then correcting typos after an agonizing slow proofread, Gary has snuck one in under my post, rendering mine redundant and unnecessary! I'll now go back to waiting for soft solvent joints to cure!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Gary S Wrote:Thanks Wayne. Seriously, the date on the bridge sure looks like 1832. I even saved the photo and enlarged it in PhotoDraw. Still looked like 1832! Anyway, mystery solved! Smile

I agree - I should have taken a new photo that concentrated on that detail. The only time that I've been in the layout room lately is to paint interior doors and trim for the on-going home reno project - I should have entered that in the Challenge, as it's likely the only one which may be finished by the deadline. 357 Misngth

Wayne
P5se Camelback Wrote:... a Central Valley model of a steel Pratt Truss bridge, as actually being "1902" and not "1832" as was apparently misread early on.

Is that the story here ... or am I even more confused than anyone else? :?

That's where I was exactly. After "seeing" 1832, I got to thinking, and even did a bit of research on the net, and came to the conclusion that there was no way a bridge like that was built in Canada (or the U.S.) in 1832. Hence my request for DocWayne to clear up the issue.
Here's a photo of the date detail on that bridge:

[Image: Morekitbashingphotos131.jpg]

Wayne
I am sorry I started all of this confusion :oops:
Next time I should look closer at the picture 35
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)