Conrail GP15-1 build... JUST DO IT.
Puddlejumper Wrote:And to think some people think Conrail's paint scheme is boring! We could probably write a book on variations alone! My goal is to model each paint variation including special units. NOT including patched former road schemes. Still, I may have my work cut out for me! Icon_lol
The U34CH would look nice Goldth

Bob: Interesting, I know the material, been used as a non-slip coating at some jobs I've had before for cat-walks and ladders where spaces were scarce
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
tomustang Wrote:The U34CH would look nice Goldth

Oh yeah, I am going to include 1776, the bicentennial GG1, SDP45 and SD45 as well. Too cool not to. I already have the 7776.

Once the build is done I'll put up some pix of some of my other units.
-Dave
Sounds great, Dave ! I "hostled" and ran the 7776 at Kiski, before and after the Centennial paint job...spent an entire 3rd trick shift helping "wash her up" by hand for display during the Freedom Train's visit to Brackenridge/Tarentum, Pa., then only saw the FT when they stopped at Kiski to pick up "Pilots" east on the Conemaugh Line to Johnstown. Will be looking forward to the photos! Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Bob C Wrote:Sounds great, Dave ! I "hostled" and ran the 7776 at Kiski, before and after the Centennial paint job...spent an entire 3rd trick shift helping "wash her up" by hand for display during the Freedom Train's visit to Brackenridge/Tarentum, Pa., then only saw the FT when they stopped at Kiski to pick up "Pilots" east on the Conemaugh Line to Johnstown. Will be looking forward to the photos! Bob C.

Sounds like you have a relationship with the 7776! Well, then, here is a couple of pics for you.
[Image: DSC_0273-3.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0279-2.jpg]
-Dave
What a beautiful sight to start my day on

Constitution Day!

Thank you!
Thumbsup :!:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Puddlejumper Wrote:And to think some people think Conrail's paint scheme is boring! We could probably write a book on variations alone! My goal is to model each paint variation including special units. NOT including patched former road schemes. Still, I may have my work cut out for me! Icon_lol

I'm not a Conrail modeler, but it seems to me that it would be a major undertaking to have just 1 model of each type of locomotive on their roster, let alone examples of each type in each paint scheme!
Dave,

I've been looking for several articles that I had saved on the GP 15-1 and how it was painted to back up my statement about the glare panel, but of course can't locate them. Also have several railroad personnel that operate on my model rr and they are always chastising me for the two Walthers GP 15-1s that I have with the black glare panels along with the other mistakes on those units. Anyway as you said you like the look and its your railroad so enough said Goldth .

Bruce
Damn Bruce, I kind feel bad for your friends for looking down on you because walthers didn't make a model supremely accurate. Did they forget who's layout they are playing on?
Tom

Model Conrail

Tom

Model Conrail

Tom,

its all done in a good spirited way

Bruce
I hope so, since I've met some who think modeling isn't a hobby but more of job to them inwhich everything must be right
Tom

Model Conrail

Hey, some of the patched units are the most interesting! Conrail GP40 #3151 is a prime example. Instead of patching a CR on the sides, they removed all the letters except for the C and the R in the word "Central" (penn CentRal). The "CR" on the nose is also a weird wacky font that looks almost painted on rather than stenciled.

There is also a photo of an old Lehigh Valley Alco C628 with a "snow white" paint job, but Conrail painters Patched it in "blocks", resulting in a sight to see. That photo i think is also on the Conrail Cyclopedia.

You're right though, it would be to much to try and get every patch right. Even modern units are all different. When i was painting my Ballast Express C32-8, i found that the "Conrail Quality" logo is in a different spot for nearly every unit, and different on each side. they literally just slapped the logos onto the side (then again, when they painted these units like this, Conrail was about a year or two from oblivion).

Puddlejumper Wrote:Oh yeah, I am going to include 1776, the bicentennial GG1, SDP45 and SD45 as well. Too cool not to. I already have the 7776.

Once the build is done I'll put up some pix of some of my other units.

Nice 7776!

A quick note on the bicentennial GG1, be careful, the stars aren't the same on both sides, but as it turns out, most photos are of only one side of the unit. I know a person who built a Bicentennial GG1 in O-scale, and they said after months, they found hundreds of photos, but only a handful showed the other side. If i can dig up the site, i'll give it to you so you can make your GG1 Special in that it will be spot on.

I've considered an SDP45 for a while, and i'm curious how you plan to make one. Not only would it be very cool, but it shares a rear with the CNJ GP40Ps that i'd like to model, and so far it looks tricky.

tomustang Wrote:The U34CH would look nice Goldth

The U34CH would be neat to have. I thought about modeling it myself (i have a few U34CHs on my roster). That unit is an interesting one, because after they removed the Bi-centennial paint, they accidentally applied Erie Lackawanna freight masking (which is different from the EL/ NJ DOT paint). For most of it's life, 4151 (the real number behind 1776) was an oddball because its stripes were out of place!

Conrail sent them of to NJ DOT by December 2 in 1976, but i think for a time, Conrail actually leased these units for freight runs on the weekends. The only rule was that they had to be back "home" in time for Monday morning rush hours. It isn't unusual to see a lash up of three U34CHs on a freight run during the early years (at least up to 1979, though the photo i have can be wrong).

If you do a U34CH, Just gotta add the nose light. the best way i've seen to make it is to take a metal casting of a similar shape and size and file it down "square". I've seen some others attempt to use different nose lights (check the 3364 on my roster thread. I bought that unit second hand). I've also seen some people use plastic sheet cut into squares. unfortuneately, no one makes that boxy nose piece.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
bdw9535 Wrote:Dave,

I've been looking for several articles that I had saved on the GP 15-1 and how it was painted to back up my statement about the glare panel, but of course can't locate them. Also have several railroad personnel that operate on my model rr and they are always chastising me for the two Walthers GP 15-1s that I have with the black glare panels along with the other mistakes on those units. Anyway as you said you like the look and its your railroad so enough said Goldth .

Bruce

Thats how it always is, isn't it? I've been trying to organize my always expanding library for years, and i still can't find half the things i read.

tomustang Wrote:I hope so, since I've met some who think modeling isn't a hobby but more of job to them inwhich everything must be right

To me, when it comes to details, I'm not nearly as much of a stickler as i may sound, but the way i see it, if you have an engine straight out of the box, then people shouldn't give you crap about it. People only have a certain level of time, skill, and caring about a particular model. I have about 70 locomotives now, and probably only a fraction of them have gotten any form of special treatment beyond a DCC decoder and knuckle couplers (if that). Thats not to say i don't enjoy running them (or watching others run their models), and i don't blame people who don't have 100% accurate models, because i don't run them 100% accurate either.

the only time i'll go out of my way to engineer some awesome modification is if the unit is special and has a stand-out detail (U34CHs have nose lights, some Reading and PRSL GPs have bi-directional cabs, Amtrak E60MAs have high number boards and strobes, etc). Even then, its more a personal thing for me, because now i have something special and its something i can be proud of. Sure, if i see anyone making any of these units, i'll throw my 2 cents in, i don't think any less of anyone for their work (unless it causes that engine to derail during club open houses Icon_lol )

In the end, you're right, its no fun trying to make everything perfect. sometimes its better to just run the thing and enjoy it. If i see someone building a particular engine, i'll share what i know, but as long as it runs and looks just as good as it did out of the box, its golden. Thumbsup
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
A Bicentennial GG-1 numbered 1776 ...

You can't be referring to "Mr. Rivets," he was #4800, but in patriotic paint, nonetheless.

... Taken from the rear vestibule of the MU Mp54 "smoking car" as my morning commute approached 30th St. Station on my way into Philly ...

[Image: MrRivetsGG-14800.jpg]
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:In the end, you're right, its no fun trying to make everything perfect. sometimes its better to just run the thing and enjoy it. If i see someone building a particular engine, i'll share what i know, but as long as it runs and looks just as good as it did out of the box, its golden. Thumbsup

That's what I like about you, you've helped out a number of times with several modeling projects I've had on my table. And in some cases questioned placement of things, which is always good to double check. Oh and when someone says rust is alive it means it's there and active, not that it's a living thing, it's car lingo Misngth

The reason I like this forum over any other because the rivet count isn't here like other forums, where an model locomotive is shunned if a cab window is one scale inch off
Tom

Model Conrail