Conrail GP15-1 build... JUST DO IT.
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Hey, some of the patched units are the most interesting!
Indeed, the patches are interesting. I saw a GP38 that was in full CR paint, but had the PC style "CR" on the nose. And as far as the "CR Quality-Altoona" version, yes, there is no standardization there. You must paint from a photo if you do an Altoona repaint.[/quote]

GEC Wrote:A quick note on the bicentennial GG1, be careful, the stars aren't the same on both sides, but as it turns out, most photos are of only one side of the unit. I know a person who built a Bicentennial GG1 in O-scale, and they said after months, they found hundreds of photos, but only a handful showed the other side. If i can dig up the site, i'll give it to you so you can make your GG1 Special in that it will be spot on.

I've considered an SDP45 for a while, and i'm curious how you plan to make one. Not only would it be very cool, but it shares a rear with the CNJ GP40Ps that i'd like to model, and so far it looks tricky.

Didn't know that about the GG1 being different. Thanks for the tips. As for the SDP45, I am not sure about that one yet. I do have a couple of articles around here somewhere about modeling them. Also I plan on doing 6688 and 6698, but will probably just use Athearn SD45-2s to model those. They both had SD45-2 bodies, but were actually one hood door longer than an SD45-2. I don't think that one hood door is enough for me to cut up a Genesis SD45-2. I will have to replace the nose on one of them with the SDP45 nose with the handbrake notch.

GEC Wrote:I thought about modeling it myself (i have a few U34CHs on my roster). That unit is an interesting one, because after they removed the Bi-centennial paint, they accidentally applied Erie Lackawanna freight masking (which is different from the EL/ NJ DOT paint). For most of it's life, 4151 (the real number behind 1776) was an oddball because its stripes were out of place!

Conrail sent them of to NJ DOT by December 2 in 1976, but i think for a time, Conrail actually leased these units for freight runs on the weekends. The only rule was that they had to be back "home" in time for Monday morning rush hours. It isn't unusual to see a lash up of three U34CHs on a freight run during the early years (at least up to 1979, though the photo i have can be wrong).

If you do a U34CH, Just gotta add the nose light. the best way i've seen to make it is to take a metal casting of a similar shape and size and file it down "square". I've seen some others attempt to use different nose lights (check the 3364 on my roster thread. I bought that unit second hand). I've also seen some people use plastic sheet cut into squares. unfortuneately, no one makes that boxy nose piece.

Didn't know about 4451 having incorrect stripes, that's neat. You are correct about the EL and CR using the units on weekends for freight work. For a little while anyway. The nose light is a definite. I also want to model one Auto Train spec U36B with the nose light.
-Dave
P5se Camelback Wrote:A Bicentennial GG-1 numbered 1776 ...

You can't be referring to "Mr. Rivets," he was #4800, but in patriotic paint, nonetheless.

... Taken from the rear vestibule of the MU Mp54 "smoking car" as my morning commute approached 30th St. Station on my way into Philly ...

[Image: MrRivetsGG-14800.jpg]

YES!

this is one of a few photos of that side of that GG1! seriously, all my books show the other side (you can tell by the little F which end is front). Have anymore?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
tomustang Wrote:That's what I like about you, you've helped out a number of times with several modeling projects I've had on my table. And in some cases questioned placement of things, which is always good to double check. Oh and when someone says rust is alive it means it's there and active, not that it's a living thing, it's car lingo Misngth

I'm sorry, i actually had to explain rust wasn't a living thing to someone else yesterday, so when i saw you say that, i jumped the gun. You'd be surprised what people think about ordinary things.

Quote:The reason I like this forum over any other because the rivet count isn't here like other forums, where an model locomotive is shunned if a cab window is one scale inch off

It is? Sorry, i'm gonna have to black list you now.
Puddlejumper Wrote:As for the SDP45, I am not sure about that one yet. I do have a couple of articles around here somewhere about modeling them. Also I plan on doing 6688 and 6698, but will probably just use Athearn SD45-2s to model those. They both had SD45-2 bodies, but were actually one hood door longer than an SD45-2. I don't think that one hood door is enough for me to cut up a Genesis SD45-2. I will have to replace the nose on one of them with the SDP45 nose with the handbrake notch.

The SDP45 had the same frame (but don't use an EL SD45-2 frame, different fuel tanks!). mating the flared radiators and HEP/Steam generator compartment to the SD45-2 body look like the tough part. Perhaps Cannon and Co roofs could be modified to be square with styrene ends. I've actually considered scratch building the sides of this engine, but i can't find a good template for the hood doors. I think the Conrail cyclopedia has an article on making these units.

Quote:Didn't know about 4451 having incorrect stripes, that's neat. You are correct about the EL and CR using the units on weekends for freight work. For a little while anyway. The nose light is a definite. I also want to model one Auto Train spec U36B with the nose light.

yeah, its neat, check it out.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=48835">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... x?id=48835</a><!-- m -->

By the way, if you want a U36B nose light, maybe we can trade. My Proto 2000 U28B came with a nose light correct for a U36B, but i need a "blank" nose, the U28Bs never had nose lights. If you pick up a unit to make a U36B from, you can just chop the nose off and i'll send you my nose (which would already have Conrail and everything painted on). sounds like a good way to swap, but Its up to you.
GEC, the 6688 and 6698 were the 2 SDP45s that were wrecked while still on E-L. They were rebuilt with new EMD hoods, so look like SD45-2s, except one hood door longer. My wish is to have 1 each of SD45-2, SDP45, and rebuilt SDP45 (45-2 hood).

As for the U36B nose, I will look for a U36B and let you know. Thanks for the offer.
-Dave
Here is a pic of 6688 in EL paint.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thecrhs.org/image/view/17269/_original">http://thecrhs.org/image/view/17269/_original</a><!-- m -->
-Dave
Puddlejumper Wrote:GEC, the 6688 and 6698 were the 2 SDP45s that were wrecked while still on E-L. They were rebuilt with new EMD hoods, so look like SD45-2s, except one hood door longer. My wish is to have 1 each of SD45-2, SDP45, and rebuilt SDP45 (45-2 hood).

As for the U36B nose, I will look for a U36B and let you know. Thanks for the offer.

oh wow, i didn't even know that! thats cool looking!
Re: Photo of GG-1 #4800, a.k.a. "Mr. Rivets" in Bi-Centennial paint near 30th Street, Philadelphia ...

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote: YES!
This is one of a few photos of that side of that GG1! seriously, all my books show the other side (you can tell by the little F which end is front). Have anymore?

Geez, G.E.C., I wish I did! This is it as "Rivets" wasn't there on my way out of the city (although I was out on the rear vestibule of the last car with my camera, alas, it had gone off somewhere.) And the photo I posted here had hung on the wall in my office at Sperry Corp, absorbing sun and flourescent light for at least five, maybe six years and has faded noticeably! I'll have to dig through my 12 slide storage boxes (someday) to find the slide and have another print made. [The image I posted is a digital photograph of a photographic print.]

When (if) I ever get around to having another print made, I'll get two prints and send you the other one. Thumbsup
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Decals came the other day! Thanks a bunch! i will have to paint up a spare Smokey Valley unit into the JUST DO IT paint!

P5se Camelback Wrote:Re: Photo of GG-1 #4800, a.k.a. "Mr. Rivets" in Bi-Centennial paint near 30th Street, Philadelphia ...

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote: YES!
This is one of a few photos of that side of that GG1! seriously, all my books show the other side (you can tell by the little F which end is front). Have anymore?

Geez, G.E.C., I wish I did! This is it as "Rivets" wasn't there on my way out of the city (although I was out on the rear vestibule of the last car with my camera, alas, it had gone off somewhere.) And the photo I posted here had hung on the wall in my office at Sperry Corp, absorbing sun and flourescent light for at least five, maybe six years and has faded noticeably! I'll have to dig through my 12 slide storage boxes (someday) to find the slide and have another print made. [The image I posted is a digital photograph of a photographic print.]

When (if) I ever get around to having another print made, I'll get two prints and send you the other one. Thumbsup

Awesome! Anything electric is my thing, and if you need anything, i'll find something to trade, lol.
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Decals came the other day! Thanks a bunch! i will have to paint up a spare Smokey Valley unit into the JUST DO IT paint!

No problem! I look forward to seeing your rendition of the JUST DO IT geep.
-Dave
Fast shooting Dave! I got the decals two days after we talked about them. Been hectic here since I'm overhauling the basement, haven't had much time to be active here like I want to Goldth

Last time I checked, the MRR shop Chris and I went to had 4 of the walthers gp15-1's unpainted on discount. I'll have to check if one is still avail
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
All done.
[Image: DSC_0284-2.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0288-1.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0289-1.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0292.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0291.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0294.jpg]

I am very happy with the way it turned out. As you can see the swoosh is NOT centered on the fuel tank. The reason is because I looked at a bunch of photos, and realized that the Walthers GP15-1 does not have the fuel filler or fuel gauge, which would interfere with a centered swoosh. Instead I decided to place the swoosh toward the rear of the tank, somewhat centered under the slogan on the long hood.
-Dave
Thanks for following along with the build. I had a lot of fun. Now, for those that like CR models here are a few pics of some of my other stuff. Forgive the dust, some of the stuff has been on a shelf for awhile.
7898, seen in the previous post, is custom painted by yours truly, as is 6440 below, and 2308 below that.

[Image: DSC_0298-2.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0296.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0299-2.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0302-4.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0303-4.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0304-4.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0305-3.jpg]
-Dave
One more. These units are early paints I did about 15 years ago. Except for the Bachmann GP35, which will probably never see active service on any layout of mine.

[Image: DSC_0308-2.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0307-3.jpg]
-Dave
Dave...wonderful project !...and (judging by your additional photos) you're doin' proud by Juniata's Finest. Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."