Conrail GP15-1 build... JUST DO IT.
Thanks Bob, I appreciate it!
-Dave
Very nice Dave, splendid job on all of them. You should start you own Engine Roster over in the blog area 2285_

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=48">viewforum.php?f=48</a><!-- l -->
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Thanks Tom. I may do that soon. I want to do a thread for my Potomac Line roster as well.
-Dave
Dave, I've just been following along so far, through the painting and such, through the "rust on the nose versus black glare shield on the nose" saga, and now it is time for me to say

FANTASTIC WORK!

Love the Conrail Blue and the variety you have incorporated into your fleet. Thumbsup
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Great job on the "Just Do It!" loco and a beautiful looking roster all around! Worship
Ralph
Thanks guys. Hopefully soon I'll be working on a layout to take photos of them on, instead of a table. I appreciate the kind words!
-Dave
I never knew about this engine but what a great build you have done! It must be one of the coolest one of build i have seen for Conrail in a long time. Thumbsup
Thanks Jeff. A lot of modelers, Conrail modelers included, don't know about this unit since it was only painted this way for 2 days or so. The only reason I knew of it is because I saw it in a Conrail employee magazine I bought years ago.

thanks for the compliment!
-Dave
That is a really interesting - and well done - engine! Truly one of a kind. Really nice job! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Great looking engines in your fleet too btw. Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Puddlejumper Wrote:Thanks Jeff. A lot of modelers, Conrail modelers included, don't know about this unit since it was only painted this way for 2 days or so. The only reason I knew of it is because I saw it in a Conrail employee magazine I bought years ago.

What issue was that in? Sometimes those magazines are on Evilbay and I thought I'd keep a look out for it just to have it.
Mike
conrailmike Wrote:
Puddlejumper Wrote:Thanks Jeff. A lot of modelers, Conrail modelers included, don't know about this unit since it was only painted this way for 2 days or so. The only reason I knew of it is because I saw it in a Conrail employee magazine I bought years ago.

What issue was that in? Sometimes those magazines are on Evilbay and I thought I'd keep a look out for it just to have it.

I no longer have it. The photocopied page I put up on the first page of this thread is all I have. I'm sorry. Nope
-Dave
The GP15-1, is a "less than well known" loco.....nicely done ! Following this thread, renewed memories of 4416 ( C&NW ), a loco that until that first seeing, I hadn't heard of. It had all the extra louvers, at the cab end of the long hood. It was the first of several C&NW builds,that ended with the Dash 9 kitbash in 1994, before I settled back into steam again. I've enjoyed seeing what you've done. Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks Sumpter, I appreciate it. Now for that other GP15-1, the one in the large "can opener" scheme. Goldth
-Dave
Today I am going to start on 2 GP15-1s I received from a fellow over on the Diesel Detailer forum.

[Image: DSC_0285-3.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0284-3.jpg]

As you can see, both units have some damage and missing parts. I will have to procure a plow, another horn, and perhaps some other minor details. The 1613 appears to be custom painted, and has some details added such as different exhaust stacks and air horn. Both units have grabs and lift rings already added.

[Image: DSC_0287-3.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0286-3.jpg]

The 1508 represents a unit that went to a leasing company after the CR takeover by CSX and NS. It will be stripped and repainted to CR 1654.
-Dave
Today's progress on the GP15s... the 1613 seemed most complete so I worked on that unit first. I was able to keep the CR Quality paint scheme that was already applied to this unit. The previous owner used plenty of adhesive on the non-dynamic hatch on the roof, which was a real problem since the hatch was in backward. With significant effort, I did manage to separate the hatch from the hood and turn it to the correct orientation. I painted the walkways and dabbed some blue on the bottom of the handrail stanchions to give the appearance that the scotchlite was cut to fit between the stanchions. I also added a cab signal box, replaced the missing plow with one from the other unit, reinstalled kadees, and turned her loose for service.

[Image: DSC_0285-4.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0287-4.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0286-4.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0288-2.jpg]

The CR 1654 is currently in the paint shop. Pics will follow in a couple of days.
-Dave