What In The Wide Wide World Of Sports????
Charlie B Wrote:Don, I had to put up with regulation stupidity from regulators that wanted to interpret rules their way rather then the way they were
written.
I remember seeing a white paper that NBC did on OSHA many years ago, and I remember 2 items that companies were cited over. One was a typewriter that had no grounding cord, (IT WAS A MANUAL TYPEWRITTER), and the other was a light that was 30 feet in the air with no ground wire.
It would be Politically incorrect to say that some of these enforcement guys had relatives in the agency.
Charlie
A friend was telling me the other day about someone that was in the gutter cleaning business. His employee would climb a ladder to get to the gutters and he needed a safety harness and a place to attach it. Since he couldn't attach it to the ladder, OSHA decided he needed to get a "cherry picker" truck and hang the bucket over the ladder as a place to attach the harness. Most people couldn't stay in business conforming to all that nonsense. Fortunately, we never had OSHA come to our place of business, I'm afraid we'd shut down before we jumped through their hoops. Not that we were careless, we had our own rules, they just made common sense, something most OSHA inspectors fail to recognize.

BTW, there is just one tiny red LED inside this FRED running the whole thing... Well, there is a ten million candlepower light amplifier and a nuclear generator to run it which is why most of you think it's a nuclear transport car. Wink Wink
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Charlie B Wrote: Don, I had to put up with regulation stupidity from regulators that wanted to interpret rules their way rather then the way they were written. Charlie

At the risk of inflaming the sensitivities of those not as conservative or strict Constitutionally-construction-oriented as I, I believe we are seeing the Constitution "interpreted" by recent Liberal-leaning administrations, this current one in particular, to benefit a particular ideology and either ignoring or outright stepping on Constitutional principles. Circumventing normal vetting and "advise and consent" proceedures has also become SOP as of late.

That effectively undermines the balance of power between the branches and we, as the "employers" of our government, and then get to know very little of who is running the bureaucracies, what the responsibilities really are and how much are they actually being compensated. The expanse of power they seem to be able to wield, as unvetted, undeterred by Congressional unapproval, the appointment of all these "Czars" (more than Russia and the USSR ever had) is also quite troubling in a land that was conceived by the Founding Fathers to be a Constitutional Representative Republic, governed by the Rule of Law, not the whim of man.

I step down from my soap box.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:
Charlie B Wrote: Don, I had to put up with regulation stupidity from regulators that wanted to interpret rules their way rather then the way they were written. Charlie

At the risk of inflaming the sensitivities of those not as conservative or strict Constitutionally-construction-oriented as I, I believe we are seeing the Constitution "interpreted" by recent Liberal-leaning administrations, this current one in particular, to benefit a particular ideology and either ignoring or outright stepping on Constitutional principles. Circumventing normal vetting and "advise and consent" proceedures has also become SOP as of late.

"O tempora, O mores ..."

Grin,
Stein
Yes .. as Cicero before me, I detest and deplore the seemingly intentional attempt at dismantling, one small unnoticable freedom, one small constraint on the over-use of power at a time, and am deeply frustrated that the growing ranks of under-educated, ill-informed citizenry who fail to see any of it happening because "American Idol" is deemed more inmpotant. These poor drones won't realize their drift into tyranny until they have lost most or all of their freedoms guaranteed by a once great, but by then dismanted Constitution.

"O tempora, O mores ..." indeed!

But enough of that here in this forum! Further discussion of this topic should respect the threads of others and be conducted by PM or email.
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:...But enough of that here in this forum! Further discussion of this topic should respect the threads of others and be conducted by PM or email.
That I agree upon. Big Grin What's been said so far has been a light-hearted poke at what this could be and how one branch of the government works so hard to keep us safe in a most comedic way. Beyond that, we stray.... Wink
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Don ... I thought we'd strayed far enough ... maybe too far, and made an effort to quash it!

On the other hand ... I bet that had you guys waited, you'd have seen the short train with the pepper mill in it ... unless that had been routed differently due to its increased height and local clearance restrictons! Icon_lol
biL

Popcornbeer
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Ok, Ok, Here it is...He can leave Margarita-ville...We've found the "Lost Shaker of Salt"
Brilliant!
and obviously, the last word on the subject!
biL

ezdays Wrote:A friend was telling me the other day about someone that was in the gutter cleaning business. His employee would climb a ladder to get to the gutters and he needed a safety harness and a place to attach it. Since he couldn't attach it to the ladder, OSHA decided he needed to get a "cherry picker" truck and hang the bucket over the ladder as a place to attach the harness. Most people couldn't stay in business conforming to all that nonsense. Fortunately, we never had OSHA come to our place of business, I'm afraid we'd shut down before we jumped through their hoops. Not that we were careless, we had our own rules, they just made common sense, something most OSHA inspectors fail to recognize.

Ironically, I sat through a 2-day Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) class last week. Think of it as the OSHA that is specific to mining activities. The interesting part is when they went over ever mine related fatality in the USA so far this year (I think it was 80 something thus far). Several gruesome fatalities occurred because people neglected to lock out a piece of machinery they were working in, and another worker came by and switched it on. These machines were usually the type that grind rock up Eek Eek . But the stupidest one was perhaps the guy who climbed up a ladder to fix a piece of pipe on a roof without a harness, slipped, and fell 50 feet to his death. This accident occurred about one hour after the company had a mandatory safety meeting about - wearing a safety harness when working in high places. As the miners in the class told me - conforming to the safety measures is cheaper than the insurance increase, the million dollar haul truck you have to replace because it rolled on an unstable roadway, or the 2 days downtime while you pick human body parts out of your conveyor.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Brakie Wrote:Ed,Did that thing clear that bridge?
Oh yes - clearance under the viaduct is something on the order of 28-30 feet. Photo does make it appear that it would be close, but that thing wasn't as tall as a stack car.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
nachoman Wrote:Ironically, I sat through a 2-day Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) class last week. Think of it as the OSHA that is specific to mining activities. The interesting part is when they went over ever mine related fatality in the USA so far this year (I think it was 80 something thus far). Several gruesome fatalities occurred because people neglected to lock out a piece of machinery they were working in, and another worker came by and switched it on. These machines were usually the type that grind rock up Eek Eek . But the stupidest one was perhaps the guy who climbed up a ladder to fix a piece of pipe on a roof without a harness, slipped, and fell 50 feet to his death. This accident occurred about one hour after the company had a mandatory safety meeting about - wearing a safety harness when working in high places. As the miners in the class told me - conforming to the safety measures is cheaper than the insurance increase, the million dollar haul truck you have to replace because it rolled on an unstable roadway, or the 2 days downtime while you pick human body parts out of your conveyor.

In some cases it sure does make sense and I agree with the above. But what about forcing combat-ready Marines to wear their seat belts while traveling in Humvees in enemy territory? There is no way you can be "combat ready" and have your seat belt on. (I don't think this has happened yet, but I had the unpleasant experience of conversing with a bureaucrat working on this very subject several months ago)

Another, making firefighters keep their helmets and air packs in a compartment in the back of the fire engine? This is to eliminate the possibility of the firefighters putting these items on while en route and possibly injuring themselves if they are in a crash. It also will make response times longer when someone is trapped in a burning house because the firefighters will not be fully ready when they arrive on the scene of the fire. We put our lives on the line to help others because we choose to, STOP TRYING TO TELL US WHAT IS SAFE AND WHAT IS NOT, IT IS OUR SPECIALTY TO GO INTO UNSAFE ENVIRONMENTS, and to DO IT QUICKLY.

Sorry guys, OSHA and NFPA are 2 organizations that get me worked up. I'll get off my rant now. Icon_lol
-Dave
Not sure about the Humvees, but the fire trucks here have the airpacks and so on stored within the seat, so the guys put them on en route as they are sitting in the truck. Helmets are in the ceiling and are pulled down as they exit the truck.

Andrew