What In The Wide Wide World Of Sports????
Well, based on the apparent size and shape, I'm inclined to lean in the direction of fuel rod container for a nuclear submarine, as indicated in the site linked to by my brother. He generally has good information re: this subject, being in the business of selling to the DoD.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
oK- So........... Who's the first one going to be to kitbash one for their layout???????
Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Icon_twisted
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
HA! Too modern for me ... sorry!
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Glad to see this has been identified. Didn't think it could be carrying nuclear fuel rods or spent fuel rods as it was not placarded as being radioactive. Loaded or empty it would be hot.

Oh yes, feel free to share the photo if you like, just be sure it's credited to me. Thanks!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Recently there was some interest by the security people about placarding nuclear loads. They thought it just might not be a bad idea to not place placards on them so they were not readily identified by the wrong people. I never did hear the outcome of the discussions, so maybe.....
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:Recently there was some interest by the security people about placarding nuclear loads. They thought it just might not be a bad idea to not place placards on them so they were not readily identified by the wrong people. I never did hear the outcome of the discussions, so maybe.....
Charlie

Response from several communities and fire fighting and EMS personnel convinced them otherwise. I know the Fire Chief here in Stockton threw an absolute FIT when I informed him.
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
NO NO NO,,,your all wrong (Except for Ralph).. It's just a track cleaner..Pay it no mind...
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Many years ago, in England they ran a Diesel and a short train into one of the fuel transporters (On a truck?) to show how secure it was. The diesel was totally ruined.

There's probably a shot on u-tube, if you know how to look.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
OK, you all had your chance at guessing, now for the real purpose of this device. It's a new FRED (flashing rear end device), constructed to conform to the new OSHA rules. Eek There is now a requirement that the FRED be seen from all angles at a distance of two miles regardless of the terrain. Tongue This is the prototype model built by the Army Corp of Engineers, and as you can see, the government has provided us with yet one more way to run a railroad safely. Wallbang You will soon see one of these at the end of every train. Goldth Goldth

Ralph was very close though, because that small red thing on the back, that is now mounted where the FRED use to be, now deposits small amounts of Comet Cleanser or ground-up BrightBoy on the track so that the next train through will scrub the rails clean. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Son of a.... Confusedhock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as3VQeYfd2c
May I see a bill of materials, please?
biL

ezdays Wrote:OK, you all had your chance at guessing, now for the real purpose of this device. It's a new FRED (flashing rear end device), constructed to conform to the new OSHA rules. Eek There is now a requirement that the FRED be seen from all angles at a distance of two miles regardless of the terrain. Tongue This is the prototype model built by the Army Corp of Engineers, and as you can see, the government has provided us with yet one more way to run a railroad safely. Wallbang You will soon see one of these at the end of every train. Goldth Goldth

Ralph was very close though, because that small red thing on the back, that is now mounted where the FRED use to be, now deposits small amounts of Comet Cleanser or ground-up BrightBoy on the track so that the next train through will scrub the rails clean. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Don, You don't know how close to being right you really are. Some of the ridiculous rules are getting way out of hand.
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:Don, You don't know how close to being right you really are. Some of the ridiculous rules are getting way out of hand.
Charlie
Oh yes I do, it took a lot of years, but I do realize how ridiculous the government can be, especially OSHA. Turning a $100 FRED into a $1,000,000 FRED would have some of them feeling proud of their accomplishments.
2285_ Shoot Requiring that on the end of every train would be their crowning achievement. 35 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Don, I had to put up with regulation stupidity from regulators that wanted to interpret rules their way rather then the way they were
written.
I remember seeing a white paper that NBC did on OSHA many years ago, and I remember 2 items that companies were cited over. One was a typewriter that had no grounding cord, (IT WAS A MANUAL TYPEWRITTER), and the other was a light that was 30 feet in the air with no ground wire.
It would be Politically incorrect to say that some of these enforcement guys had relatives in the agency.
Charlie
Ed,Did that thing clear that bridge?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!