Bridge at 69th Street
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Where are the shoes...the world wants to know....

I still think some fashionable pumps would look great on that bridge. :?

Looks great Gary! Big Grin
Yeah!
Formal Patent Leather Pumps!
The contrast would be awesome! Icon_lol
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
"I still think some fashionable pumps would look great on that bridge."
" Formal Patent Leather Pumps! The contrast would be awesome!"

Is this beginning to sound just a bit......kinky?
It's a bridge!, next thing will be, "patent leather" so you can look under the bridge skirts! :o Confusedhock: Eek

Icon_twisted Maybe I'll forward this to the Late Late show, the robot skeleton would have some very interesting commentary. Icon_twisted Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Fetishes aside,
The crumbled concrete in the last proto photo, would make an interesting small detail. I would think that it came from the approach structure, and if part of that was cast in plaster it could be chipped, and the remnants left where they fall.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
faraway Wrote:Shoes... a German/English dictionary is not always really helpful...

I think "bearing" would be just as good a description as "shoe," so we're both on the same page. Smile
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Sumpter250 Wrote:The crumbled concrete in the last proto photo, would make an interesting small detail. I would think that it came from the approach structure, and if part of that was cast in plaster it could be chipped, and the remnants left where they fall.

I'm not certain what that debris is from. It doesn't really look like concrete that had set and then broken off, more like excess concrete from the pour that was knocked off during form removal, but it is strange how it is sitting there piled up.

Also, I need to get back to the bridge and take some more detail photos, especially of the other end to see what the shoes look like. Funny that when originally taking the photos, it seems like enough, but then whenthe build starts, you find out that you didn't take enough photos. Forthe challenge bridge, I actually visited the bridge 4 times!
Been working on this bridge too. Got the piers in place, next will be the sidewalks and road. I'm thinking about sandpaper - didn't Kurt or Steve do a street tutorial awhile back?

Do a search on streets, there are nine pages, some of which contain information on street building.
I have mixed and poured my own "blacktop", used sheet balsa, sheet styrene, and sheet basswood, for street making over the years. The styrene seemed to be the best looking, but I'm still playing with new ideas.
Thank you Sir, I'll be checking that out. In my head, I think I'll do sandpaper because Steve's use of it turned out so good, but the jury is still out.

Got the I-beams installed under the concrete sections, and figured I better show a photos of the shoes too.

THANK YOU!!! 2285_ Thumbsup
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Galen, you crack me up! 357 357 357 Icon_lol
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
biL, it ain't THAT funny! Misngth

Okay, raod experiments... 600 grit sandpaper, craft paint stripes guided with masking tape, and a small stainless steel wire brush to lighten the area where the tires travel. This was a rough trial just to see what i could do. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts? Looks darn convincing to me! Thumbsup
Ralph
Hey ... looks pretty good from my house, Gary! Beyond that it just depends on what's on the actual road and how far you want to take it. Are ther any man hole covers? Did some clown change lanes 5 minutes after the lines were painted? Are there any cracks that were repaired with those whisker-thin lines of tar? How 'bout a little "leftovers from the last gully-washer" in the gutter?

Seriously, I think in general, you've nailed it ... now it's just details. This will be another Blue Ribbon Bridge on the "Houston Bridge Line."

And it was just Galen's relief and excitement over finally seeing the shoes that had me laughing ... It wasn't really "Funny" funny ... it was just Galen's enthusiasm! Plus ... I am easily amused.

Sorry ...
biL

The sandpaper looks to have an appropriate texture and color - but what are you going to go at the joints where two pieces of sandpaper meet? And - how are you planing to glue it down without it wrinkling? Around here, the sun bleaches the asphalt within 2-3 years, and there is a noticeable difference in color between the center of the lanes and the tire paths - especially near intersections - perhaps airbrushing the tire areas a lighter color to vary the color a bit more?.

EDIT: go back to you're prototype photos and google images to see the variation in color that I am talking about.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->