Ad from 1988 RMC
RobertInOntario Wrote:Was there a brewery listed in the ad? But then even breweries don't smell that great, and I like my beer!

A paper factory would make for another "interesting" smell.

Rob

I brew my own - and I absolutely love the way my house smells when I add the hops.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Do it the easy way .. do it cheaply ... spend (almost) no money!

Re-sign a medium sized structure. When "she who must be obeyed" is vacuuming the living room, go to the kitchen and grab the toaster and one slice of brad ... a stale slice works just a well as a fresh one - don't waste food! That will get you in trouble!

Take the toaster to the layout and place it under the layout in the general vicinity of the re-signed medium-sized structure.

Put the bread in the toaster, turn the control all the way to well-done ... beyond if that is possible, i.e., "pin it!"

Push the lever down and wait ...

Now admire the structure's new Old Hickory Bourbon sign and breathe deeply ... smell that fine sippin' spirit cookin'? Icon_lol
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Gary S Wrote:716 Live Cattle, Manure

Unfortunately, it is "that time of year", and the politicians are all about, spewing ________ constantly, so the whole nation smells like # 716.
Using it on your layout, would only make it smell like here and now.

" The perfume of the new secretary of the VP... "

Mmmmmmmm.............memories. ( yes, ^$%*%& ... I did spell it correctly ) 357 357

Now that I think on it, I do believe that I have a couple of LPBs that could use some of that "New Secretary Parfum. Icon_twisted Icon_twisted 8-)
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I sure hope there was nothing similar for "farmyarrd smells". Big Grin
I wonder if anyone tried it as cologne? Nope
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Here is the entire list:

[Image: image.php?album_id=166&image_id=3072]
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I have an idea. Create some scratch and sniff stickers out of this stuff and post them at key points on your layout. When people come across one they can scratch the sticker and get a whiff of the local scents. 35
Gary S Wrote:Olfactory Airs - industrial odors for use on model railroads - liquid that you spread around the layout to make it smell just like the real thing. Here is a sampling of the available odors:

Noticably absent is GERN flux.
I just noticed that too. You are aware that, like the secret recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken and Coke, the formula, including it's unique odor, for GERN flux is patented and held closely under wraps by those responsible for its safekeeping. A few have tried, not everyone succeeded, but I did find this little note hidden in someone's blog on the Internet:

Quote:Although the GERN flux formula is protected, we have found a way to mimic its unique odor using the Olfactory Airs products. Here it is:

One oz of #701
One jigger of #713
A dash of #750
Two oz of #721
One ladle of #730
1/2 cup of #743

Mix ingredients well and place in a dark, damp location, uncovered for at least 14 days to allow to ferment. Us as you would any other Olfactory Airs odor products.

I think there have been efforts by GERN to shut this site down, so I'm not going to give you a link or the blogger's name.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I don't know of ANYBODY who ever used these products, but I remember seeing the ads in MR. I bet there's a landfill or warehouse full of these bottles of scent that never sold. Anybody ever use these or know of someone who did?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
ocalicreek Wrote:...I bet there's a landfill or warehouse full of these bottles of scent that never sold.

Not true. This stuff is being passed off as cologne and perfume at major cosmetics counters everywhere.