Bridge at Forest Hill Blvd
Very nice! What a cool prototype, and so very well executed! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Thanks Galen! I'm really enjoying building this. But I gotta get to bed now. Gotta do the dreaded work thing tomorrow :cry:
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:Thanks Galen! I'm really enjoying building this. But I gotta get to bed now. Gotta do the dreaded work thing tomorrow :cry:

I hear ya. Ain't it a pain when life gets in the way of perfectly good modeling time? Oh well. You gotta do something to pay for all that styrene you've been burning through! Goldth

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Gary, you did the yellow street marking even more better this time. That is the typical fading the prototype has. The weathering of the street and the sidewalk is amazing.
Reinhard
GOOD GRIEF!

I'm away from the forum for a day and a half and I come back to a "fait a compleat"!

I missed the whole thing!

Simply amazing, Gary! Really incredible work!

Oh, and ... sorry about the Rangers! They had one very bad inning and were never able to recover from that. When I coached Girl's Fast Pitch Little League Softball (my daughter was a pitcher - she throws 60mph with movement) I used to tell my girls, "An error will always come back and bite you in the butt! And if that follows the pitcher losing her concentration and walking someone, you'll have a steep hill to climb if you want to win!"

The Rangers found out about that in spades tonight!

But, I've gotta say, your ability to build a bridge model quicker and quicker each time ... most people couldn't put a kit together and make it look anywhere near that good in the short amount of time in which you seem to be able to push out a scratch-built bridge, with very close fidelity to the prototype! I don't know how you manage it!

Really beautiful work, Young Man!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
That is some great work! I'm just sitting here shaking my head wondering..."how does he do that so well and so quickly?!?" Thumbsup
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Herc Driver Wrote:That is some great work! I'm just sitting here shaking my head wondering..."how does he do that so well and so quickly?!?" Thumbsup

Yeah, that’s what I keep asking myself, too. I think I never saw so realistic bridges and underpasses before. Gary, your speed is incredible and the results absultele awesome. I could not go online yesterday, because the connection was down and when I logged in today the scene is almost finished – incredible. I like your epoxy rivets – great idea. How did you apply those tiny drops of epoxy?
Kurt
Hello Gary---you have become the master bridge builder of Big Blue Thumbsup .You have an open invitation to come and stay at my place if you'll build me a model of the High Level bridge (shown below) which is a local landmark in Hamilton Welcome.Don't worry about those Rangers,things could be worse---you could be a Cowboy fan 35 35 35

[Image: 2009ns1002-1-1.jpg]
Don't worry about those Rangers,things could be worse---you could be a Cowboy fan 35 35 35

...Now that's just wrong......
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Gary S Wrote:Thank you Bruce. I've really taken a liking to this scratchbuilding from the prototype stuff. And it isn't all that hard - Take a few photos, take a few measurements, glue some plastic together, slap on some paint, and bingo! It certainly eases the stress and worry of wondering if a fantasy creation is realistic or not.

Cheers

357 357 357

Seriously though, the actual "act of scratchbuilding" isn't too much more complicated than that. The "slapping on of some paint", is a briefer description of the process, than is the actual application of the paint and weathering, but in reality, it is learn-able, and within the realm of probable for most modelers to do.
I have to admit though, I'd have second thoughts about competing with you, Gary, in a model contest.
Great work!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
ocalicreek Wrote:I hear ya. Ain't it a pain when life gets in the way of perfectly good modeling time? Oh well. You gotta do something to pay for all that styrene you've been burning through!

Yeah, right now that is about the only saving grace of this job! Sad
faraway Wrote:Gary, you did the yellow street marking even more better this time. That is the typical fading the prototype has. The weathering of the street and the sidewalk is amazing.

Thank you Sir. The other bridge was a one way street with no yellow lines. Since I modeled it as a two-way street, I didn't have a photo to work from. Even htough I thought the lines were fairly faded, it looks like freshly painted lines. On this bridge, I made somewhat of an effort to match the yellow lines, but still actually put more on the model than what is on the real thing. I like how it turned out though.
P5se Camelback Wrote:But, I've gotta say, your ability to build a bridge model quicker and quicker each time ... most people couldn't put a kit together and make it look anywhere near that good in the short amount of time in which you seem to be able to push out a scratch-built bridge, with very close fidelity to the prototype! I don't know how you manage it!

Having an obsessive personality helps. I intentionally left out the "compulsive" that typically goes with obsessive cuz I do think things out beforehand for the most part. I do find it easy to focus on something for a long time - the overriding goal is "Get'er done." I suppose that has helped me in the corporate world too. Bad thing is, my sleep suffers. I was up until 2am or so on Tuesday night and 1am on Wednesday night pushing to get this thing closer to completion. Still, I enjoy that type of effort and focus.

Thanks for the very kind compliments! Smile
Herc and Kurt, thanks for the comments. On tuesday afternoon and wednesday, I put in over 16 hours on this!

Kurt, for the rivets, I mixed up some JB Kwik and then used a pointed tooth pick to apply little dabs for the rivets. I had to mix new epoxy three times because it dries so fast, and as the viscosity of the stuff changed, it became harder to add "little" dabs - the epoxy would stick to the toothpick and leave strings.
cn nutbar Wrote:Hello Gary---you have become the master bridge builder of Big Blue Thumbsup .You have an open invitation to come and stay at my place if you'll build me a model of the High Level bridge (shown below) which is a local landmark in Hamilton Welcome.Don't worry about those Rangers,things could be worse---you could be a Cowboy fan

Ouch, that looks like a huge bridge that would be way out of my league! Lots of intricate girders and such - haven't done any of that so far.

I used to be a big Cowboys fan, put have changed to the Houston Texans. On the Rangers, there's plenty of games left. Thumbsup