Bridge at Forest Hill Blvd
scubadude Wrote:Don't worry about those Rangers,things could be worse---you could be a Cowboy fan 35 35 35

...Now that's just wrong......

You gotta admit it was pretty funny. For a team that was predicted to go to the superbowl, they surely took a tumble.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Sumpter250 Wrote:I have to admit though, I'd have second thoughts about competing with you, Gary, in a model contest.
Great work!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Well, I am gonna disagree with you on that, because your work is some of the best I have ever seen. Your harbor scenes and ships completely outclass my chunky concrete segmental bridges which are actually quite easy to model. You da man when it comes to intricate details!
Don't worry about those Rangers,things could be worse---you could be a Cowboy fan 35 35 35

Sorry if I offended anyone :oops: :oops: :oops:
Gary S Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:I have to admit though, I'd have second thoughts about competing with you, Gary, in a model contest.
Great work!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Well, I am gonna disagree with you on that, because your work is some of the best I have ever seen. Your harbor scenes and ships completely outclass my chunky concrete segmental bridges which are actually quite easy to model. You da man when it comes to intricate details!

In ship modeling, there is a saying, One does not build a ship model. One builds models of parts of a ship, and assembles them into the finished product.
Each piece of a harbor scene, is a model unto itself, and as such, is outclassed by the "finished product".
None the less, I appreciate your comments, Thank you.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
cn nutbar Wrote:Don't worry about those Rangers,things could be worse---you could be a Cowboy fan 35 35 35

Sorry if I offended anyone :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm thinking that a huge number of Rangers fans would also be Cowboys fans because both teams are from the Dallas area. It would have been a great feat for the Rangers to win thwe World Series and the Cowboys to win the Superbowl in the samr year. Rangers still have a chance, the cowboys are all but dead.

Still, I don't think anyone would be offended! Misngth
Sumpter250 Wrote:In ship modeling, there is a saying, One does not build a ship model. One builds models of parts of a ship, and assembles them into the finished product.

Now that is a great way to look at model building. I appreciate you sharing it, and I can already feel my modeling ability improving just by thinking about that - each piece is a model unto itself. Why am I suddenly seeing that the "three foot rule" has just been completely shot down? Big Grin
Yiikkeeeessss...!! I'm away for a few days and this thing is all but finished...Terrific work as always - even if it's kind of odd looking.... Goldth

I agree that you've become one of the elite group I classify as "stare-ats". It's you guys whose work I can stare at for hours on end just taking in all the details you manage to incorporate into your scenes.... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks for the compliments, Gus. I'm pretty happy with the way the bridges are turning out, but I have to attribute the success to my choice of modeling subjects. All of these bridges are really just crude and chunky pieces of plastic in various arrangements. I really haven't had to do alot of intricate details like we see on DocWayne's, Kurts, and S-two-fiddie's layouts. I suppose the paint and weathering with craft paints and rustoleum primer have turned out okay. Anyway, point is, I am not considering myself as a "good" modeler until I start dealing with some fine detail work.
Got a bit done on this bridge, handrail paint touched up, and then glued the road down to the layout. Also started putting some plaster in between the foam and the abutments. Here's where it stands now:

Decided to get this bridge further along before starting on the benchwork mods for the Mason Park bridge. First, did some touch-up fill-in and paint where the road goes against the concrete walls. Then installed the bridge, some cork, drilled holes for wiring, soldered feeders on, got the track down, tied the feeders in to the bus. Then ran a train across!

Bright shiny diesel and dingy old box car crossing a well weathered & visually interesting bridge. Excellent. Big Grin

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
One of these days I will get brave enough to weather the locos. :oops:
Gary ... the box car looks great!

If you can do that, you can do the diesel ... just take a few photos and have at it!

We all know you can do it! Thumbsup
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Catching up on a few details I put off.

I built the gutter section this afternoon, next is paint, then installation on the layout.

Painted and installed: