Bridge at Mason Park
Gary, was reviewing the thread again, it's absolutely amazing how you can capture the look of the prototype with your model, again another outstanding bridge. With another Texan lost I take it the wager is off Icon_lol.
It's getting time to watch the Eagles, let's hope they have a better outcome 357
Bruce
Bruce, I just got back in from the layout room and I see that the Eagles are winning. Thumbsup

Got the railings on. A couple nights ago, I drilled the uprights to accept the small diameter music wire. tonight, I glued the uprights to the bridge and threaded the music wire through, it worked out pretty good. The uprights are small plastic angle iron.

After that, I got the track installed, and not a moment too soon. Seems a storm was approaching, and I looked up and saw a local freight headed my way.

The freight had a Santa Fe GP7 as power, with a GERN covered hopper and a couple of boxcars in tow.

When I took the above photos ^^^^, I had the lights in the train room turned off except for the ones over where I was working. The dark background gave the illusion of a stormy horizon, and a little bit of photoshopping completed the scene.

Here's a couple more pics.

Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:Hope y'all don't mind me posting so many photos. I like the way this one is turning out, and kinda want to show it off... :o
Gary: post as many as you like as far as I'm concerned.
Just

could you label which ones are model and which are prototype? Thumbsup
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Cheers Cheers
On more than a couple of those pics I had to scroll up & down to finally determine which was which... The lack of graffity on a couple gave it away. Other than that...

A most excellent adventure.... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Gary, did you do or get the shadow under the bridge? In any case, the shadow looks good.
Reinhard
That is so jaw-droppingly well done...really great work! Thumbsup

Post as many pictures as you like...the quality of that work deserves it.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
That engine is like day-glow-yellow compared to the rest of the scene! Confusedhock:

Icon_lol

All kidding aside. I love it. My hats off to you Gary. Out of all the bridges you built, this one has to be my favorite to date. Thumbsup
Hi Gary---your attention to detail and modelling skills are outstanding Thumbsup Those bridge scenes remind me of Doctor Wayne's layout---keep them coming Cheers
Wow!

I go spend a couple days in the hospital and when I come home, the gloss gel has dried/cured and the result is remarkable. I'm convinced that your story re: trying this stuff for the first time is closer to blowing smoke up our collective bottoms ... I'm starting to think, "Yeah ... right! And I've never used a Phillps screwdriver!" 8-) Icon_lol

First try or not, the results are absolutely some of the most realistic looking "hard water" I've ever seen! Worship Worship Worship
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Well guys, for now I am about done with this one. The ballast on the bridge and approaches are done. Still have some detailing to do on the handrails at the ends, but that's about it.

Just want to say thanks to everyone who followed along with me on the project. Appreciate all the nice comments, and I am obliged for the inspiration and encouragement that comes from the good folks of Big Blue.

Tetters, this bridge is my favorite so far too. And i agree, the yellow cab of the loco is like dayglow! Gotta tone that down.

Mister Nutbar, as always, a comparison of something I did with something DocWayne has done is very flattering. Smile

biL, for real, aside from a couple experimental efforts on some scrap foam, this is my first try at greenery. I highly recommend modifying the grassblaster with the strainer screen. Sure makes using it easy and fun.

Reinhard, the shadow is natural. Since the lighting runs parallel to the shelving, anything long on the shelves will cast a decent shadow.

Gus, Bruce, thanks for the very kind comments.

Thumbsup
Gary, the bridge looks fantastic! The weathering is right-on, very realistic.

I'm very interested to see the next project you tackle! Thumbsup
Gary S Wrote:... the shadow is natural...
Ok, that looks good. You did discuss how and if to paint a shadow. On the photos the natural shadow looks good. No reason to paint one.
Reinhard
The ripple effect on the water is phenomenal !! The bridge itself, is beyond that ! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Dan85 Wrote:Gary, the bridge looks fantastic! The weathering is right-on, very realistic. I'm very interested to see the next project you tackle! Thumbsup

I appreciate your interest and compliments! Smile The next and last bridge project will be a road underpass which is in southeast Houston at South Wayside Drive. I had made a recon photo run awhile back, went there again today to get more photos and take some measurements. Hopefully I will get by the LHS for the plastic strip I need, maybe get started this weekend. Will put up a new thread when that happens.
faraway Wrote:You did discuss how and if to paint a shadow. On the photos the natural shadow looks good. No reason to paint one.

Even though the bridge is casting a decent shadow, I think it would be wise for us modelers to pay more attention to that stuff. As Galen had mentioned earlier, it makes sense to help the shadows on our layout be more distinct by the coloring and shading we use in those areas.