Bridge at Mason Park
That is interesting and very plausible. I'm going with that - because it makes sense. Originally there were wooden trestle portions going to the steel girder, at some point they replaced the wood approaches to the girder.

On the graffiti, I'm not going to model that. Just the conventional weathering.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
More accomplished this morning:

You're work is excellent! Puts a smile on a lot fo faces.
I'm sure the CEO of Evergreen has one from ear to ear.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:I'm sure the CEO of Evergreen has one from ear to ear.

Well, it's either him or the Walther's family. I like scratchbuilding better than building kits. Smile And as mentioned in another thread, the only reason I have a job is so there is enough money to buy styrene sheet and strip.
The end abutments done, and then a pic of the whole thing precariously propped together just to see how she looks so far.

Weathered the girder with black washes and powders, tried to make it similar to the prototype. For the deck, painted it with brown rustoleum spray paint, then dry-brushed the ties with burnt umber craft paint. After that, a black wash, then an off-white wash, then a precise black wash only along the wood timbers which runs parallal to the track.

For the girder, it was also sprayed with the brown Rustoleum spray paint, then was painted light gray with craft paint. Then mixed some silver and light gray and thinned it a bit, and washed it onto the gray a few times. Then came a black wash, and various colors of brown and rust powders applied to the bottom.

Sprayed the whole thing with some Krylon Matte Finish, will drybrush it with some off-white tomorrow.

Un Be Leeve a Bull!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Thanks biL! But no BULL! 357 Big Grin

Here's one of the transition piers, trying to match the proto, still a ways to go.

And a couple more:

Now it's a Happy Halloween! The nice thing about taking a two-year old trick or treating is getting to hear all the folks say how cute your kid looks in his chicken outfit. Then you get to eat his candy when you get home, after he goes to bed. Well, some of it. Okay, quite a bit of it. At least the chocolate. Add these great photos onto an already nice evening and a good sugar buzz and hot da#% it's a happy Hallow's Eve! Big Grin Thanks, Gary!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Glad to have helped make your evening a good one, Galen. Eat some candy for me, now I am off to bed! Big Grin
Gary... Worship

..there really is nothing else to say...
Galen has a point there.......seeing your progress has taken the edge off yesterday's "adventure". I found out the hard way, that "gremlin powder" has a short shelf life! I wired the new modules, and almost instantly there are gremlins throughout the entire works. Today I will hunt them all down, in a calm manner, thanks to some great photos.
Were you a dentist in another life?? you do great "bridgework"! 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
More work on the transition piers?
The model is the picture on the right...Right?
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Thanks 88. But the rust and dark spots need to be darkened and have more contrast. Shouldn't be too difficult. Some weathering powder and colored pencils oughta do it. Also, I should have left the corners much more sharp, instead of sanding them off. Oh well. Three Foot Rule.

Speaking of the transition piers, and of the former construction of the bridge, S-two-fiddy has me thinking. It seems to me that the girder was there all along, and when the wood trestle approaches were changed out, they added on to the existing concrete pier that held up the girder. They added three more pipes into the bayou bottom, drilled holes in the existing concrete pier, epoxied some big rebar into the holes, formed up for the pier addition, and poured it. That's why there is a contrast from the old concrete tothe new - the vertical line isn't just from the rust - it is newer concrete. That's the way I see it, with help from Big Blue.

Well, gonna be a good night tonight. Sitting at the workbench working on the bridge, watching the Texas Rangers win Game 5 of the World Series, and the Houston Texans whip the Indy Colts. What could be better?

Well, at this point I am just hoping the Texas teams put a whuppin' on them other teams. But I am working on the bridge as we speak.

EDIT: :cry: