Bridge at Mason Park
RE: ripples only in the middle of the bayou

doctorwayne Wrote:Well, a copy of the photo taped to the layout fascia would silence any critics, provided you do a credible job on the ripples, and there's no reason to doubt that you could pull it off.

Had the thought to do the ripples onli in the middle to see what it looks like... if it looks strange, I can go back and add ripples all the way to the banks.

doctorwayne Wrote:The application of gloss medium can look very effective, although I've never tried it. I'd do a test to see what you get. You could also try using a much wider brush - this may make it easier or may make it appear too uniform or too heavily rippled. Depending on the "body" of the medium, you may have to keep repeating the dabbing action as it dries, or simply wait for it to thicken, then hope that you've a long enough window of "working time" to complete the job. Gloss (or matte) medium goes on milky white, then clears as it dries. I'd keep the water's surface painted, and apply the medium un-tinted - that may give it an extra dimension of "depth".

Brainstorm - wide brush, cut out a staggered portion of the bristles making it like sawteeth, and get a bunch of ripples for each push into the gel.

doctorwayne Wrote:Well, ya gotta ask yourself one question here. Do you get some gloss medium and make a few tests, maybe one on EasySand 20, one on painted styrene and anything else that springs to mind? Or do you just go ahead and do that bayou with a product you've never used before? So, are ya feelin' lucky, pal? Personally, based on your performance as demonstrated repeatedly in these pages, I'd say go for it, but there's no shame in trying a few trial runs, either.

Will do a trial run! Although it wouldn't be too hard to sand down whatever mess I made of it and start over.

doctorwayne Wrote:Another option, if you can find it with proper-looking ripples, is to use rippled glass. Paint the water surface as usual, then overlay it with the glass, ripple-side-up. This would require, I think, a re-working of the banks, though.

Maybe a piece of "rippled" 2x4 florescent fixture lens? Not one with a uniform pattern, but with random ripples. Still, those ripples would be too big I think.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
tetters Wrote:The gloss medium comes in different consistences as well. Something along the lines of light, medium and heavy. I would suggest trying out the light and applying it as Doc Wayne suggests I'm guessing it will give you that subtle wave but busy looking wind ripple effect across the water.

Please post up progress shots and let me know how it goes. I'm anxious to see how this works out for you so I can use the techniques to model my own water feature.

I'll be happy to post some "before during after" photos! I'll see what kind of gel they have, maybe get a couple different, and experiment.
Some progress made tonight. Painted the banks and put some more easysand on the water.

Also started working on the walkways for the bridge. Put the supports on, and added the brackets and nbws similar to the prototype.

Gary S Wrote:... and added the brackets and nbws similar to the prototype....

I read your conversation with 1900..... Smile
Next phase will be full details _under_ the bridge (like 1900 does _under_ his cars) Eek
Reinhard
Gary, it's nice to read that I could give you an idea for adding small details. I think that these details make the difference and in next time you will try to realize a new thing with a new challenge and a bit more difficulty and each times you will be lucky with your work, time for time also a bit more.
The first impression is very good! I'm sure that this bridge will be finished with a good result.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Gary S Wrote:Also started working on the walkways for the bridge. Put the supports on, and added the brackets and nbws similar to the prototype.

Careful Gary. Its a slippery slope once you start obsessing over the details. ...and you still have whole layout to finish. Icon_lol

Seriously though, nice job! Thumbsup
faraway Wrote:Next phase will be full details _under_ the bridge (like 1900 does _under_ his cars) Eek

Luckily the underside of this bridge section is nothing but concrete!

tetters Wrote:Careful Gary. Its a slippery slope once you start obsessing over the details. ...and you still have whole layout to finish.

Gotta agree with ya tetters... some things have to be doled out in moderation for now, because there is still tons of work to be done on the layout. But not to worry yet, I'm stopping short on this bridge by only modeling the part of the bracket that can be seen from the aisle. Even though the proto walkway is see-through steel mesh, I'm using old plastic non-see-through boxcar roofwalks for that, so no need to model the bracket detail under the walkway.

modelsof1900 Wrote:Gary, it's nice to read that I could give you an idea for adding small details. I think that these details make the difference and in next time you will try to realize a new thing with a new challenge and a bit more difficulty and each times you will be lucky with your work, time for time also a bit more. The first impression is very good! I'm sure that this bridge will be finished with a good result.

First, whenever I get compliments from accomplished modelers, it goes a long way toward boosting my confidence to try more difficult projects. And with the trying, there is typically an advance in skill level. Your project, and DocWayne's boxcar details, S250's ships, GEC's catenary, and all the other great detail projects I see on Big Blue have most certainly pushed me to a new level. I'm not there yet as a modeler, and probably won't ever rise to the level of detail that you accomplish, but that is okay because, as Tetters says, I have a whole layout to get finished!

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I'm taking the day off from work, so will be working on the bridges for most ofthe day, although I do have to fix some shingles on my 1:1 roof. Not the train room, but our house.
Gary S Wrote:... Not the train room, but our house.

The train room would be more important than the house.
Cheers, Bernd

You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
The train room has a brand new roof. Big Grin

Our house roof had some minor shingle damage from Hurricane Ike 2 years ago. I just now got around to repairing it! But, it wasn't leaking, so there was no hurry anyway. It was a perfect morning for roof work, cool breeze, yet enough sun to make the shingles soft enough to cut easily. Just finished the repair, now maybe some lunch and back to work on the bridges.
Got some stuff accomplished this afternoon. First, put the center piers in place. Used the level to get the girder portion in place, then plastered the piers into holes cut in the foam.

Then set the concrete segments in place so I could get the pilings put in. Again used plaster to "glue" them in place.

Then set the girder back in place to see how she looked.

Now have to work on the areas under the pilings and piers, some EasySand20 and sand them smooth and level with the rest of the water surface.

Oh... bought some gel medium for the ripples, hope to get to that tomorrow sometime.
Gary, you inspire me! I have never gotten a layout beyond the benchwork, sub-roadbed/roadbed, a dozen or so feet of handlaid track including a few handlaid turnouts and hooking up the electrical drops so I could run a locomotive and two or three 30' tank cars or a couple 40' box cars and watch them snake through a pair of # 8-9/16* frogged turnouts! I've never done any scenery in all these years. I've always just gotten just so far and then have to tear it down and move.

I've now acquired a 2"x24"x96" log of blue foam (through the model railroad club.) I'm going to use it to build a photo diorama so that I can try my hand at scenery and at the same time, have a section of track where I can photograph some of my locomotives and rolling stock while I work on getting this next attempt at building a layout to the build level that the last one was ... and then beyond!

But it's your bridgework and the way that you manipulate that 2" foam that has "lit the sterno under me bum" ...

I've been conceptualizing on a drawing pad today! IT FEELS GOOD TO SKETCH AGAIN! I'm having a good time. I'm looking at photos of the twin tunnels at Gallitzin, PA for geography reference.

Keep up the fine modeling and the great photos that document your progress ... I'm always looking forward to the next installment!

* The turnouts were built-in-place when I got there ... I don't have any idea what number they are! Big Grin 357

EDIT: Fixed a couple of an annoying typos!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
biL, I appreciate the very kind comments. We are kind of in the same boat, I've never actually done any scenery either! We''ll both be firguring out how to do ground foam and all that pretty soon, seeing that you got your foam for the diorama.

Most of my inspiration has come from the folks at Big Blue, and I tell you it is gratifying to hear that I am inspiring you. If I can be a small part of the inspiration you receive, then I feel very good about that! Smile Thanks!

Glad to hear that your creative juices are flowing and that you are planning out the diorama. If I can give any advice on using the foam, let me know, I can at least tell you how i did this or that and how it worked out.

Looking forward to seeing some of your progress!
Gary, wonderful pictures of building process - and very impressed views on the installed bridge! Wonderful again and very, very nice !!!
I'm enjoyed with you about this great model railroad piece!
Cheers, Bernd

Thanks Bernhard. I'm off to the train room right now to work on the water.
A couple more thin coats of EasySand on the foam, with sanding between coats, then worked on the banks with a black wash and drybrushing of tan. Then started on the painting of the water. First coat was black in the middle of the bayou and gray-green on the edges. After that dried, I sanded it a bit, then did a coat of grey-green across the entire bayou. The hard part is waiting on stuff to dry. Well, it is quite tedious painting around the pipes holding up the transition piers too.

It probably won't make any difference that the first coat had black in the middle, but maybe it will help make the middle of the bayou just a bit darker.

I think the gray-green will be the final color of the water, but maybe it needs to be a bit darker... some navy blue mixed in? Anyway, will still do several coats more, with sanding in between. Then I'll try out the gel medium.

In the photos, the paint isn;t dry, and that makes the water look bumpy, but it is actually quite smooth... not like glass or anything, but good enough. :?