Bridge at Mason Park
Thanks e-paw. I'll go back an touch up the area to the right of the pilings, it looks a little too sparse. I need to figure a way to make the glue drops smaller. These were done by just putting the glue on straight from the tip, may be better to put the glue on by dipping the end of a pencil in the glue and putting the spots on with that. Would make for smaller grass clumps. I'll give that a shot later - will fill in some of the dirt areas with smaller clumps.

Here's a photo of the other bank, now just need the glue to dry.

Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
HOLY COW! That is some nice scenery going in! With bridges and scenery of this caliber, your layout is on its way to being a masterpiece! Keep the inspirations coming.
John
Thanks for the wonderful comments, Johnny. This is my first real attempt to use static grass on the layout, and I am liking the way it is working out. I'll be improving the technique as it goes along, and I'll be posting more photos.
A couple more photos as the glue dries.

I opened this page and thought WOW!. You did place that glue bottle near the bridge to show us that this is the bridge you built, didn’t you? Or did you photoshop it into a pic of the real thing? Goldth . Absolutely stunning! The static grass turned out very well, but I am even more impressed with the crumbling river bank. Top notch modeling!
Kurt
Kurt, the river bank and eroded areas are just the blue foam kind of roughly gouged out. There are a few spots under the abutment on the left that I used plaster to re-do what didn't come out too good with the foam, mainly the area right under the abutment, but also down near the water. Doing it was really easy, it almost felt as if I was cheating.

Thanks for the kind comments! Smile
Gary S Wrote:Thanks e-paw. I'll go back an touch up the area to the right of the pilings, it looks a little too sparse. I need to figure a way to make the glue drops smaller.

Don't know if it would work with something as viscous as white glue, but you might try putting some on an old toothbrush and spattering it onto the ground by running your thumb back over the bristles. You might need to thin to the consistency of paint.

Great modeling!
Gary S Wrote:A couple more photos as the glue dries.

Move that glue bottle and what you have there is the Money Shot! Even though your scenery is incomplete it still looks phenomenal!!!
Gary S Wrote:A couple more...]
Very impressive. The scenery fits the bridge perfect. It is a composition that reminds me of some old master painters.
Reinhard
Boy, you sure got the low angle nailed for that shot! The surface of the water and the bridge's shadow are "spot on."

Looking pretty amazing, there, Young Man! But, then again ... I never had any doubt!

Bravo! Worship
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
biL, I have to admit I think it is turning out well. Thumbsup

Tetters, Reinhard, I appreciate the wonderful comments. Smile

Paulman, that's an interesting thought and the method would get a nicely randomized grouping of small glue spots. I'll have to give it a try.

I put the wind ripples on the water. I used some gloss gel in the heavy consistency and stipled it on with a 1/2" wide brush. It hasn't dried completely in the photos. It dries clear, I'm hoping it turns out okay! :? I may put another coat of gloss varnish over the gel after it dries. Anyone have thoughts on that?

I also put in some of the old wood pilings left from the original trestle.

Amazing, simply amazing. If I should ever be able to do half as good I'd consider it an accomplishment.

I'd test the gel medium with varnish on top on a scrap to make sure there was no reaction - would hate to see all the work disappear into a shapeless blob or turn a funky color because the two reacted.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
Randy, great suggestion on testing the varnish - gloss gel combo. I'll do that!

As for you being able to model something like this, I used to think the same thing. The biggest help I have found is the prototype photos. Awhile back when we were doing the structure challenge here at The Gauge, I decided that I would base my entry on another bridge near where I work. I took a bunch of photos and measurements, then just tried to match what was there. Building from a prototype releives the modeler of the extra steps in trying to decide how to build something to make it realistic. Just follow the photos and try to figure out what technique and materials will give the best results. And the summer challenge bridge was really my very first attempt at building something that was real.

So, my point is, you can absolutely accomplish projects like this. Find something in the real world that inspires you, take plenty of photos, and then get started. It also helps to have the folks at Big Blue to lend a hand.... not only in technical questions and methodology, but also in giving encouragement.
Gary, again some really outstanding modeling Thumbsup Thumbsup Hey, the Texans are going to be playing the Eagles care to wager one of your bridges on the outcome? Icon_lol

Bruce
Go EAGLES!!!

Popcornbeer
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln