CONSTRUCTION OF NEW LINE AT THE KISKI JUNCTION RAILROAD
As some of you may know construction of the new line North for the Kiski Junction railroad commenced on 3/2/2010. I thought i would start this thread to document its progress and also to it seems we all see at one time or another track being taken out, however it is very rare , especially now days to see new track put in. i will soon as it is available post photos and information on the line.

This line will go from the Kiski Junction Railroad North approximately 8 miles to service a coal mine in Logansport,Pa. An interesting point is that steel instead of wood ties are being used on the line. I
Here is a photo of Looking North , on March 1/2010 right before construction is started. the second photo was taken about a week later.

Attached Files Image(s)

this photo is of some of the guys clearing the tress away where the tracks will be.

Attached Files Image(s)

Finally, a trails to rails project, that's the way it ought to be. 2285_ Worship Waveof7 Waveof7
Charlie
I took a few in September when Wayne and I took the short cut from Kelly's Station to Schenley. We had to move over a time or two for machines dragging rail.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

This should have some appeal for the "hand laid track" aficianados, too. Wink I wonder whether we'll see white glue or matte medium for holding the ballast in place. Misngth

Thanks for posting this, Todd. Thumbsup Thumbsup I'm looking forward to following the progress of this project.

Wayne
I heard a rumor that a rail train was going to Kelly's Station in the morning...We better get lots of pictures posted. There hasn't been a train there since 1983 I think, then the line was torn out in 1992.
the first shipment of rail arrived on 6/2/2010. 14 cars arrived that day. here are a few photos as well as some facts about the rail/cars themself.

the cars are 89 foot long

the rails themself are 80 feet long

each car holds 46 rails.

each rail cost about $3000.00 per rail.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great tread..keep the pics coming. Cheers

I really want to see the steel ties that you were talking about. That's something that I not familiar with.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I was wondering if the Geep and Alco will be able to handle the additional traffic or is there new motive power in the near future?

Keep the updates comming.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
here are some pictures of the first train to Kelly's Station in 26 years.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Great photos Charlie B. Those metal ties should last awhile.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Here are a few photos of the mine where the tracks are going and where coal will eventually be hauled out of.

Attached Files Image(s)

The track is very impressive, it is 115 pound RE rail and everything is new. The ties are steel, and the rail is held to it with clips.
The few places that weren't tight snapped inplace with the weight of the train. The grade was very well done, and even without ballast you could really enjoy the ride. The view along the river will be fabulous.
As a side note, my great grandfather, John Brookes held a patent on a steel railroad tie.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.com/patents?id=kAxIAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false">http://www.google.com/patents?id=kAxIAA ... &q&f=false</a><!-- m -->
Charlie
those ties remind me of the Lionel track sections, without the center rail 35
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew