Demand outstripping Supply?
Is it just me or do others find it difficult finding US locomotives in stock in US stores yet if you lived in say, the UK you can purchase what you fancy from stock of US locos?
Why is this? "Just In Time" gone crazy?

Of course if anyone knows of stores with plenty of stock do let me know......

Best, Pete.
Pete,I guess it depends on what one is looking for..There are serveral reliable on line dealers that has lots of stock.

As fas as "Just In Time" gone crazy?" all I can say is absolutely. Its been crazy for far to long.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Employees at The Caboose in Denver tell me that they are reluctant to stock large inventories because it often just gathers dust.

My LHS guy in Colorado Springs tells me that he is moving more towards the Big Box paradigm, with a smaller inventory and the ability to order and/or replace rapidly. What he doesn't have, I can order through him and often get it much faster than I can as an individual.

I'm currently wrestling with an outfit that refuses to respond to my queries about a $200-plus order of small items. These are some of the same folks in the business who also complain abnout "lack of demand". Icon_lol
Thanks, Guys!

Best, Pete.
Perhaps it is supply driving demand?

More and more manufacturers seem to announce limited runs well in advance, with the hope of selling everything "up front". If that is the case for your favourite loco, passenger car, rolling stock, or whatever, there was never going to be anything left over to sit on shelves as stock...

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:More and more manufacturers seem to announce limited runs well in advance, with the hope of selling everything "up front". If that is the case for your favourite loco, passenger car, rolling stock, or whatever, there was never going to be anything left over to sit on shelves as stock...

QFT.

If you want it, jump on board with a reservation. Yes, it requires patience and some faith in the manufacturer, but it beats not getting anything at all.
The industry has changed. Internet sales have greatly impacted the local hobby shop. Inventory sitting on shelves is a parasitic (spelling?) loss for a local hobby shop. One of my local dealers has told me that his biggest competition is not other hobby shops or even internet sales, but rather manufacturers who sell online for the same price that they would charge him if he orders from them! If manufacturers sell to the general public for the same "wholesale" prices that they charge hobby shops, the hobby shop owner would be crazy to buy and stock their product.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:The industry has changed. Internet sales have greatly impacted the local hobby shop. Inventory sitting on shelves is a parasitic (spelling?) loss for a local hobby shop. One of my local dealers has told me that his biggest competition is not other hobby shops or even internet sales, but rather manufacturers who sell online for the same price that they would charge him if he orders from them! If manufacturers sell to the general public for the same "wholesale" prices that they charge hobby shops, the hobby shop owner would be crazy to buy and stock their product.

However, the manufacturer is selling you a pig-in-a-poke, always making superior claims for their merchandise. The LHS owner, OTH, will tell you whether or not the item is actually worth it or will really work as promised.

Beyond that, however, is the huge "hands-on" factor. I personally tend to buy stuff I can examine up close and personally.
MasonJar Wrote:Perhaps it is supply driving demand?

More and more manufacturers seem to announce limited runs well in advance, with the hope of selling everything "up front". If that is the case for your favourite loco, passenger car, rolling stock, or whatever, there was never going to be anything left over to sit on shelves as stock...

Andrew

I know that, especially with British outline models, there have been lots of limited run models in recent years. I think these are often sponsored by model shops / retailers. Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
MountainMan Wrote:However, the manufacturer is selling you a pig-in-a-poke, always making superior claims for their merchandise. The LHS owner, OTH, will tell you whether or not the item is actually worth it or will really work as promised.

Beyond that, however, is the huge "hands-on" factor. I personally tend to buy stuff I can examine up close and personally.

I agree completely. I've been at my local hobby shop when they receive a shipment of locomotives, and since the counter guys as well as the owner are personal friends, I have often helped them put stuff away. Before a locomotive is put in the display case, it gets a mandatory run on the test track. If it doesn't run or is very noisy or otherwise fails, it is sent back. Athearn typically passes 90-95% of the time. The rest of the locomotives fail between 50-75% of the time. If I want a locomotive that my local hobby shop doesn't have in stock, I will special order it from them rather than take a chance on the internet or mail order. When they get it in, they test run it to make sure it works before they call me.