scubadude's EOY 2010 Challenge
Since I had so much fun with the last challenge, I will throw my hat in the ring on this one. I started Blair's Pizzaland in N scale a couple years ago, and got so far until I damaged a couple of the teeney weeney pieces, got frustrated Curse and tossed it aside. So I would like to try again, this time I am going to bash it slightly and turn it into Pizzaland Bowl, inspired somewhat by the PizzaBowl from the old Laverne & Shirley TV show. I will build the Pizzaland as a storefront, and scratch an addition on the back as the bowling alley, as if the small town bowling alley was an addition years after the original structure was built, trying to keep it era-appropriate to the 60's. Plan to use Pikestuff as metal siding. Below is a lame pic I put together to give you an idea of what it will be. Later today, when I'm at home I'll shoot some pics of where I actually left off and some of the additional materials to complete the structure.

Attached Files Image(s)

Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Cool! So will the bowling alley engulf the entire back half of the pizza place?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Pretty much, just picture a shoe box metal building - the front wall will be higher than the back wall as it slopes towards the rear. I don't know if I'll just butt it up to Pizzaland, or bring it more forward up to halfway to the front of Pizzaland, probably will have to build it first and make that decision based on if it looks right. I'll probably enlarge the small front door into a double door, or even make a separate entrance to the addition. Gotta head to LHS to get some steel siding sheets and start fooling around with it. The Pizzaland is already about 75% complete from a couple of years ago.

Attached Files Image(s)

Cheers,
Richard

As this month zooms by, it is increasingly apparent I am not going to be able to complete the EOY Challenge. I am in the middle of the renovation of my scuba shop... 35 ...I am downsizing space from 10,000sq ft to 5000 sq ft . Economy is getting so bad this is a survival move. I'm reducing rent from $11,000 a month to $4700, so this should help.
Sorry to be wishy washy on the contest, I do plan to bash the Pizza Bowl soon, just not before the contest deadline.

Good Luck Boys.... Cheers .....can't wait to see all the entries....
Cheers,
Richard

Good to see you on the forum, Richard. $11,000 a month rent? Confusedhock: I can understand why you would be downsizing the area. Hope everything goes well.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
$11 K a month!

Geez, that's a pretty big monthly nut for any small business! Downsizing is probably an excellent move considering all the new tax implications on small businesses (Chapter "S" corporations) that the "We'll find out what's in it after we pass it" Healthcare Bill will rain on all of those small businesses with the hundreds of pages of tax code modification that were in it! The "Class Envy Mongers" are out to put it to the "wealthy people who make $250K annually," most of whom are Chapter "S" corporations, small businesses that file their taxes as individuals!! Don't try to argue with that ... because if you read all 2,000+ pages (as I did) of that ridiculous bill, you would realize that only a hundred or two of those pages dealt with healthcare, and the rest of them twist and modify the tax code ... that's why we had to "pass it to find out what's in it!" Had we known in advance what was in it, there would have been a huge public outcry!

Best of luck to you in the downsizing of your space, Scuba Dude ... Let's hope that your business level remains just that ... level ... or maybe even climbing just a bit!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Thanks for all the well wishes.....It's been kind of hard seeing a 20 year growth to one of the largest scuba stores in the southwest have to shrink. But I get over it quick knowing I will realize almost $100,000 per year in rent savings... 2285_ I'm luckier than most, there have been 3 store closings in my market in the last 6 months. In this economy, if you can't adapt you can't survive....
Cheers,
Richard