Names in signatures
doctorwayne Wrote:I generally prefer to use the real names of others rather than their screennames, but do understand that not all are comfortable with that practice. I often will click on a new Member's user name to see if they have included their real name, as, in my opinion, those that have won't mind me addressing them thusly.
As for including them in signatures, I would have to enable signatures to see them - not very likely. Wink Goldth

Wayne

I agree Wayne, I also prefer names rather than handles or screen names.

I didn't realize you could disable the sigs. So that makes my suggestion pointless anyway, and I suppose I will start signing my posts. but it still doesn't solve the problem of others not signing their posts. I guess I figure, if you post something that suggests you are looking for a response, such a question, I would at least expect a person to sign the post.

I am surprised at how many different reactions I have gotten to the topic, especially in this forum. In a forum where people regularly argue, such as a political forum, I would have expected the needed anonymity, but not here.

Dave
-Dave
Puddlejumper Wrote:...I didn't realize you could disable the sigs. So that makes my suggestion pointless anyway, and I suppose I will start signing my posts. but it still doesn't solve the problem of others not signing their posts. I guess I figure, if you post something that suggests you are looking for a response, such a question, I would at least expect a person to sign the post.

I am surprised at how many different reactions I have gotten to the topic, especially in this forum. In a forum where people regularly argue, such as a political forum, I would have expected the needed anonymity, but not here.

Dave
Yeah, you can disable signatures such that you won't see anyones, it's hard to know how many people do that though. Sometimes, a forum will allow things like dancing chickens and other animated signatures, and that can get distracting if they're exceptionally large or really animated. No one does that here, so maybe no one needs to block signatures.

Equally important, you can enable or disable your own signature either on all posts you make, or each one individually. I do that sometimes, especially in a PM when I want it to be more personal. Sometimes I screw up and it goes out with both my personal signature and my "signature" signature, just like on your post Goldth . There's nothing wrong with doing that, but when you're composing a message, you can disable your signature on that post by unchecking the "attach a signature", box to the lower left of the screen and then add a different one as part of your post.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Like this? Goldth
I'm known on several forums as Mountain Man. When members who correspond with me personally, we use first names.

This seems entirely a matter of personal style and preference.

Besides, I never try to "fix" things that aren't broken. Smile
I agree with MountainMan: if someone doesn't use their real name, nor reveal it in their profile, I address them publicly only by their username, even if I actually know their real name.

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote: I agree with MountainMan: if someone doesn't use their real name, nor reveal it in their profile, I address them publicly only by their username, even if I actually know their real name.
Wayne

... but you'll always be doctorwayne to me! Big Grin Icon_lol

biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Well, in keeping with the anonymity theme, I was told, like TinGoat was, to never post any personal information. I decided to use my nickname ngauger or N Gauger, since, it was a Very Unsafe place to be in chat rooms before we had "Windows". Big Grin Yes, i was online in 1981 Eek

Well, The "net" came along and AOL and Peoplelink and a few others and soon after I signed on to AOL, some idiot hacked in and "borrowed" a few thousand card numbers Shoot

I had over $4000.00 charged to a credit card, thank The Good Lord for FDIC, since I got it all back Smile But I vowed to never tell anything critical like that again...

Now that I work in an IT environment and "see" what 128 bit encoding and the new 256 and 512 can do to web information, I actually have a bunch of places with all my info, - mostly where my bills are paid online.

As to anyone who doubts the security of "the Web", if you have a bank account, ALL YOUR PERSONAL info is online.... Every bank in the US and Canada, has their records online (behind encrypted firewalls) so that your money can be used by other banks, until you decide to withdraw it. SS Numbers??? The IRS is "live and online too!! Yes, they are secure, yes, it's mostly only the last 4 digits, But it's still Stinking Scarey!!!!!!

As far as websites (like boards) where anyone can surf and scan and "see" free information, I absolutely do NOT give out any real info. (My avatar is faked) Mikey is my nickname and more people know me as N Gauger than Mikey LOL

My location is SE PA - Southeast Pennsylvania Big Grin That's close enough for Government work Big Grin

Now the really paranoid part, the FCC helps out Amateur radio enthusiasts with various lookups for call signs... Mine is in my sig..... This is used for contact and verification info, in that, if i DX (talk to someone in a distant country) they can verify my location...

My personal info "is" online somewhere Shoot

Ohhh wellllll
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
My wife is more worried that someone will come and stay overnight ... and never leave.
If you're anyone we know, you probably can figure it out -- my wife's name is rare enough.
I put my first name in the sig. I will include address information in PMs if there's a good reason.
I once surprised a member by referring to him by name -- he didn't know it was in his signature.
On the other hand, if I'm trying to be funny about something I may refer to Mr. Goat as "Tinny, my friend".
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Puddlejumper Wrote:Randy,
That's fine. My main reason is for those of us that do not type our name each time we post, therefore I am stuck replying to "rrinker", which is fine if that is what you like, but to me is somewhat impersonal.

You know, I am pretty sure that there actually is a person behind each and every post in this forum, whether there is a personal name at the bottom of the post of not :-)

If you need to refer to another poster, you can always refer to their forum nick/handle (or if you feel a need to shorten it, some variety thereof - like MM instead of MountainMan, P5 instead of "P5se Camelback", Tinny instead of "Tin Goat", PJ instead of "Puddlejumper" or whatever your imagination can come up with).

To me, Puddlejumper, BR60103, Tin Goat, MountainMan, Selector or doctorwayne are a lot more distinct "names" than e.g. Dave or Bill. I know (and know of) lots of guys named Dave. As far as I can recall, I only know of one person who goes by Puddlejumper.

So if someone writes "Dave said that ..." or "Bill wrote ..." I won't necessarily know which Dave or Bill he is talking about. If the same person writes "As Puddlejumper wrote ..." then it is pretty clear to me who he is referring to.

Btw - notice that even though I didn't start my reply by "Hi Dave --", there still is no doubt whatsoever that I am responding directly to your post :-)

Grin,
Stein (which actually is a personal name in my language - it's been used for more than 1000 years, and means "Rock" or "Stone")
steinjr Wrote:I know (and know of) lots of guys named Dave. As far as I can recall, I only know of one person who goes by Puddlejumper.

So if someone writes "Dave said that ..." or "Bill wrote ..." I won't necessarily know which Dave or Bill he is talking about. If the same person writes "As Puddlejumper wrote ..." then it is pretty clear to me who he is referring to.

And you have just presented the best argument yet. I hadn't thought of it that way. Thumbsup
-Dave
steinjr Wrote:Stein (which actually is a personal name in my language - it's been used for more than 1000 years, and means "Rock" or "Stone")

So, Stein Junior = Little Rock? Goldth

And for those of you who have Signature turned off: This is what you're missing...

--
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
steinjr Wrote:I know (and know of) lots of guys named Dave.

Anyone (esp. Canadians) remember Kids in the Hall's "The Daves I Know" song? Wink Big Grin

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:Anyone (esp. Canadians) remember Kids in the Hall's "The Daves I Know" song? Wink Big Grin
Andrew

How about Cheech 'n' Chong's "Dave's not here!"
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
Remember, folks, railroaders who "play with trains" often don't want their real identities revealed, both to keep rabid modelers and obnoxious coworkers at bay.

As for the signatures themselves, those who access the forums on mobile devices like iPods, iPhones, or Droids want to keep the forums as simple as possible and will disable avatars and signatures for the sake of a more streamlined browsing experience.
TinGoat Wrote:
steinjr Wrote:Stein (which actually is a personal name in my language - it's been used for more than 1000 years, and means "Rock" or "Stone")

So, Stein Junior = Little Rock? Goldth

Nah - I am a *big* rock :-)

Far more boring - J is just my middle initial (J for Jørgen - the Norwegian version of George) and R for the the first letter of my last name.

Smile,
Stein