Building drawings
Cheers

What a great resource! Plenty of info for your patterns there.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Yes indeed, it is great. Their Property Management department has gone one further. After I thanked them very much for the provided drawings and time, they came up trumps with a document decsribing the history of the depot, the railroad and Davis. It goes as far in the intro as stating that without the railroad, there would be no Davis (then still Davisville). I guess that goes for a lot of older towns etc.
Fantastic help there indeed.

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
That drawing reminds me of sitting at the drawing board at the architect's office, between classes at college, "picking up red marks" (making the changes to the original drawings that were sketched out in red pencil on a set of prints that had been reviewed with the client.)

Those are really cool looking drawings. If you can print it out so that one of the dimensions is correct for one of the fractional scales on an achitect's triangular scale, all other dimensions can be scaled off the print (But don't ever say I told you that! Architects hate it when a contractor "scales off the drawing" rather that using the dimensions provided on the drawing!) Curse

But you should be able to build a pretty accurate replica with that drawing (set of drawings.)

Good luck ... we'll all be watching for the next installment, the one with the initial stages of the build!!!! 2285_
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Thanks! I am looking forward to this one. It's a challenge, but I will take my time so please be patient ;-)
first I'll take a careful study of the drawing, to see how thick all walls are, as just sheet styrene is probably not going to do it. I'm playing with the idea of hydrocal, making templates first, and then pour them so to speak. Anyway, the jury is out on that one. As mentioned, study the plans first. As for the drawing, I do think this one is one that was 'edited' at some point. The original building from the early 1900's was 'refurbished' in 1986, and that's what these drawings are from. Although it's not a color scan, the red pen could very well have been used. 1986 did not see a wide spread use of CAD yet, it was coming, but not quite mainstream yet.

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
A clarification ...

The red pencil was use by the architect when in a meeting with the client to review the structure's design and any changes were made on a print with a red pencil. The red pencil made it easy for the draftsman to locate the changes.

Using the print as a guide, the original drawing would then be taped down to the board and each change indicated by red pencil would be made to the original drawing and then, to indicate that the change had been made to the original drawing, the red pencil marks on the print would be "struck out" with a scribble of yellow marker. The final change to the original was changing the "Revision" Letter ("Rev. B") in the title block of the drawing.

At that point, a new print would be made of the revised drawing, the original goes back in the flat file drawer and the new print gets folded a very specific way that presents as an 11"x14" package, with the title block in the lower right corner, and placed on the architect's desk.

But colored pencil is never used on the original drawing!

Ah ... the exciting inner workings of an architect's office.
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
you make it sound as if you miss the work? ;-) thanks for clarifying it though :-)
I don't know what is available in the U.K., but here in the states there are plastics dealers that sell all sorts of plastics for industry. You can get large sheets of styrene in almost any thickness. One of the guys in the modular club here, buys 4'x8' sheets of styrene in thicknesses he needs, cuts off what he needs for his modeling projects and then brings the rest to the club to sell to members for very reasonable prices. Evergreen probably makes their styrene in large sheets like that, then cuts it up into the small pieces that you find in the packages at the lhs. You might also be able to pick up left over pieces from a sign shop or company that uses styrene for other products. I have some pieces that are .080" thick and I think some that is .120" thick. Such thick styrene would probably work fine for building that depot, and it might be easier to glue the pieces together than gluing Hydrocal casting together.

By the way, the compressive strength of Hydrocal after 1 hour is 1,000psi, it's dry compressive strength is 5,000psi. There is another product called Hydrostone that has a 1 hour compressive strength of 4,000psi and a dry compressive strength of 10,000psi. Prices here in the States won't translate much to the U.K. but the difference in prices may give you an idea of the difference in costs for the products. The retail price for Hydrocal out here at my local ceramics supplier is $27.40 for a 99lb bag, the Hydrostone costs $31.80 for the 99lb bag at the same source.
torikoos Wrote:you make it sound as if you miss the work? ;-) thanks for clarifying it though :-)

And you are very perceptive!!

I have been extremely fortunate to be one who always looked forward to going in to the office each day! I loved my work, and I do miss my time on "the board." It was very rewarding work and so much fun to see a building or a medical or consumer product that began as an idea in my head and now is in use in a hospital or is used by you or your family somewhere in your home.

Yes, I do miss it.
biL

Koos,

I strongly suggest using styrene sheet for your built. I am new here and you probably dont know me, but I built several similar strructures in the past. The way to go for thick walls is making up a hollow core design. I assume you will cut the styrene manually, so sheets with 1mm or 1.5mm thickness will be your first choice. The hollow core walls are lightweigth, easy to cut/file/sand but still sturdy enough. And, very important, you can make up durable corner joints. See images below for reference please.

Beside the walls I see a few other stumbling blocks that will be more difficult to overcome. Please feel free to PN me, in case you need advice/help. Beside a certain degree of experience I also can offer a well equipped workshop.

Jens
Outstanding! And a really informative drawing, too.

By the way ... a belated Welcome to you! You are in good company here and from looking at your model work, you'll fit right in! You will be in a position to teach, as well as to learn!

That's how it goes here! We all learn from each other and the expertise level continues to rise!

So, Welcome
biL

Woah, excellent work! Love the drawing, and the model!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Torikoos,

SP1 Wrote:Please feel free to PN me, in case you need advice/help.

Actually, please don't do that... I'd like to read any advice given about this work too!

Jens,

Is that Google Sketchup you are using for your drawings?

Andrew
Danke Schön Jens! :-)

I have not yet started on the building work yet, but have used a photocopier to scale most sides of the building to HO scale, and have printed drawings now.
Next I'm going to make a 'floor' from a piece of cardboard to see if the building will fit properly where I want it, otherwise I may make a few modifications to it, so it retains it's character and can be recognised as the Davis station, but is perhaps a little shorter (less deep) to fit in.
I like the drawing you posted and showing the way you've made the walls. That's an interesting method. I will certainly think of giving that a try.
Thanks again, and Welcome to this forum! Look forward seeing more of your work indeed!
Jens,
What is the prototype for that station you modeled? I'm, sure it is or was on the Santa Fe, but I can't read the sign to tell for sure. I'm guessing Albuquerque, N.M.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Jens,
What is the prototype for that station you modeled? I'm, sure it is or was on the Santa Fe, but I can't read the sign to tell for sure. I'm guessing Albuquerque, N.M.

You are right, it's Albuquerque,NM.
Jens