active topics
Something happened last night to the active topic section. I know that some software was up dated to big blue, but it seams to have affected that section. At this time it only lists a few treads where normally, there are several pages of entries.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Yep, we had an update to the software last night. I would suspect that it reset the active topics and new posts. Nothing has been lost, it just has to rebuild those search functions. Pat would know more, but that's my guess.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Normally, when I log on to BB, the Active Topics forum pops up automatically and I dive in. Now the Active Topics seems to be only the Fun Photo and Hobo Camp threads. I have to click on to New Topics to get the latests posts from all forums. Can I make a change on the UCP to make New Posts the default page? Can New Posts include posts from 7 days like Active used to? I'm afraid I will lose touch with older Active topics unless I remember what forum they were originally posted in......
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
scubadude Wrote:Normally, when I log on to BB, the Active Topics forum pops up automatically and I dive in. Now the Active Topics seems to be only the Fun Photo and Hobo Camp threads. I have to click on to New Topics to get the latests posts from all forums. Can I make a change on the UCP to make New Posts the default page? Can New Posts include posts from 7 days like Active used to? I'm afraid I will lose touch with older Active topics unless I remember what forum they were originally posted in......
"New Posts" are just that, posts that you haven't looked at in the past 24 hours. I always link to that rather than "active topics" since I'm more interested in what's been posted since my last visit rather than following a particular thread. You can do likewise, the choice is yours since your needs may be different than mine are. Remember though, I may visit here a dozen or more times a day, so sometimes, "view new posts" will only show me two or three threads because I'm always logged in. You can also set up more than one link in your browser, I have that as well and can link directly to the, "board index" or even some of the sub forum categories. Just right click on any link and bookmark it in your browser.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Thanks, Don, I have made View New Posts as my default BB page. My two cents.......I don't see the point of Active Topics if it's only going to be the two that are coming up in that forum. I also think users (or maybe just me) will have to spend a lot of time searching for older threads, and will have to either know what sub-forum they were originally posted to, or spend the time looking thru several sub-forums. At least Active Topics held them for a few days for those of us who may want to make comments later. I understand we need to adapt to whatever software updates bring, thanks for all you guys do to keep us current....
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
The "old" active topics page was better. I sometimes view the forum without logging in, and in the past, I could look at all the recent topics by viewing "active topics". Now I can't. Sad

There really needs to be a simple way to look at all of the most recent topics, not just my personal "new" topics. Am I missing something though? Is there a way to look at all the threads in date order or something?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Try clicking on the RSS feed -- it will create a bookmark in your toolbar that links to the most recent topics on BB -- it will show which topics were recently added or were added to. Just click the link in the toolbar to see if anything new was added since your last visit. You will find the rss feed logo at the bottom of the page -- just click it and follow the directions to add it to your computer.
Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Gary, I have had that happen to me once in a while. After a whole bunch of gobby-gobby, I found out that by logging off, then logging back in everything settles down in place. It appears like something logs you off without your knowledge. All I can say is "Works for me", but don't ask how or why or which or when or who, etc, ad nauseam.

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
I'm referring to what E-paw and Richard noticed. It used to be that "active topics" would get a 3 or 4 page list of all the most recent topics, regardless of whether I had viewed them or not, and whether I was logged in or not. Now it only shows maybe 5 threads at any time.

Something that just dawned on me... if a new person comes to Big Blue and just wants to check the place out, maybe run through the topics from the past few days, maybe to make a decision about whether they want to be a member here, they would have to go to every forum, and look at the first few threads there, then go to the next forum (and there is like 20+ forums?) and so on. Used to be that the "active topics" button would create a big ol' list of recent topics. I liked that page alot because it allowed me to search through topics that perhaps I had already looked at, but wanted to see again.

Sure would be nice to have that back - a button that would show all the threads from the past few days, whether I was logged in or not. Thumbsup
View Active Topics is a "canned" (predefined) search for which I as a moderator cannot see any criteria. But I don't think the criteria has been changed, so it must mean that the result is different due to timing of posts, number of posts, or possibly (if it is linked to your cookies) how long it has been since your last visit.

View new posts is another canned search that is definitely linked to the time of your last visit.

We can certainly ask Mikey or Don or Path if the parameters of the search that generates "Active Topics" has been changed.

I am going to check a few other things to see if the result is different.

Andrew
Andrew, I norticed the change on the same day that e-paw did. I'm certain it isn't a change on my end or e-paw's end. It had worked the same for as long as i've been on the new Gauge, through internet history delections, cookie deletions, operating system reloads, even from different computers, etc. Then "bam" both e-paw and I notice the difference on the same day (which was back when e-paw first posted).
Gary understands what It is that I was talking about. The pre-updated active topic search was a lot easier to navigate around with. As soon as someone started a tread or replied to a post it went right to the top of the list, kind of a "look whats being talked about now" that in compassed all the forums into one quick and easy search.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Yep, it was really nice the way it worked. And when EZ-Days posted that the function probably needed to rebuild its list of threads, it seemed plausible. But here sometime later, it really hasn't rebuilt its list. I hope it can be put back to like it was, it made things much easier for me. Of course, I will live with whatever may be.
I hadn't seen this thread before, but I do recall going to Active Topics every now & then, and getting 2-3 pages worth of threads. Right now there's only 4...
Something is awry.... Eek
Gus (LC&P).
I have flagged it again for Don and Pat to look at since as you note, some time has pssed.

I must admit that I did not use it much before - defaulting instead to "view new posts" as I like to see everything that is new, not just "active".

One of us will post here once another peek behind the curtain is complete.

Andrew