Switching Action at Mountain King Potatoes
Ralph, he built that scene so well you just don't notice things. You have a keen eye, and a good question. I didn't even notive the building is a "front", it just looks like it belongs, and you can't ask for more than that. Cheers
Charlie
Cheers Got that right!
Charlie, how ya doin? Hope everything is going fine. And thanks for the compliment!

Ralph Wrote:Gary, love the switching sequence and the very real looking structure and loading facilities. This may sound odd but I keep looking at the air conditioning/venting units on the roof. Did you scratch those?

Ralph, the ac units are kitbashed Walthers items. They make a detail kit with about 5 styles of ACs, 2 of each type, from small to large. The ones on the model of Mountain King are actually larger than the prototype, but once I modified them, they make decent stand-ins. The unit on the left was lengthened and raised up on the right end to "match" the real thing. Then I put a "compressor" and other parts underneath.

I've been looking for more of the AC kits, but all the hobby shops, including Walthers, is out of them for the time being. I seem to remember that the Walthers website said they would be available again in June.
Gary, I'm doing fine, thanks for asking. The work on the trains is in the very slow stage, and I have been working on wheel sets (making them roll easy) and installing decoders and Kadee couplers to replace the P2Ks that tend to pull apart, so nothing exciting to post, unless you consider leveling areas for buildings exciting.
Bruce, thanks for the nice compliment. I really like being able to switch this almost exactly like the prototype. I'm also quite pleased with the way the unloading ramps and equipment turned out.

Charlie, what brand decoders do you like?
I use the NCE D13SR the most as they function very well, and by buying the 10 pack they are less than $14 each. Unlike everyone else, I have had good luck with MRC sound decoders too. I have installed 7 of them with no problems.
Charlie
Gary, nice modeling of the SLC reefers and the plant in Texas.

As info. those SLC reefers may be a thing of the past as the railroad is scrapping all but a few of the cars since
they are either past or reaching their 40 year life limit. I know the president of the railroad, have worked for him
several times in my railroad career and my family and I have visited/rode the SLC so it will hard to see the reefers go.
The plant in Texas was the last to receive shipments in them when trucks were not available.

Those reefer units on the top of the building look great along with the building itself. Another source of large cooling
models like those are from Chooch as a flat car load.

Always enjoy your modeling.

Barry
Thanks for the info, Barry. The only other cars I have ever seen at Mountain King are the white and orange Cryotrans reefers. I wonder what the SLC will use when they scrap the ex-MR and ex-SF cars?
Hi Gary:

Because the UP, which is the San Luis Central connection through San Luis Scenic Railroad at Walsenberg, CO., has failed to
honor favorable rates over their line to other locations the SLC may have to for go this traffic when the old reefers are
finally retired. I understand they tried using some of the large Cryo Trans reefers but were either too expensive or too
large to fit some SLC potatoe shippers facilities and the truck competiion in that area is very intense leaving little wiggle
room on rates.

You have provided a great model for a perishable industry and given me a lot of inspiration to modify my current structure.
Keep up the great modern modeling.

Barry
I'll keep my eyes open to see what happens over the next few months at the Mountain King facility. I'm glad I got a bunch of photos of the cars over the last couple of years.

Here is a link to the thread of the car builds if you haven't seen it... http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...&hilit=slc
BOK Wrote:You have provided a great model for a perishable industry and given me a lot of inspiration to modify my current structure.
Keep up the great modern modeling.

Barry, I meant to ask you what your "current structure" is.
Hi Gary:

Sorry for the slow reply.
I currently am using a kit-bashed Golden West building modified like one on Lance Mindheim's layout.
I like the vertical rib side concrete walls for a cold storage/food processing plant and was able to find
enough parts to build a background (no rear wall) structure.

Barry